Yahoo! Concept Test Feedback Center

NOTE THAT THIS MESSAGE BOARD IS NOW ONLY PERIODICALLY MONITORED. THE MEDIA EXPERIENCES TEAM THANKS YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR FEEDBACK TO DATE.

Welcome to our feedback center!

Here is how it works:
Enter your feedback in the appropriate category. (Tip: check that an entry doesn’t already exist)
You have 20 votes. Use them to support specific feedback you think matters most. You can reallocate your votes over time by removing them from previously voted on items, or when your votes are returned to you once a feedback is addressed and closed by our team.

Thank you for your participation, and congrats for helping improve online media for millions around the world!

NOTE: If you are experiencing issues that feel like clear defects (links not working; layout breaking; poor performance; incorrect/irrelevant related interests displayed on articles, etc), please use the “Report Bug” link in the product rather than this feedback forum. Doing so will enable us to capture information from your session that will make it easier to debug the issue. Please use this feedback forum for suggestions/concerns about design and usability and to suggest product improvement ideas.

The Yahoo product feedback forum now requires a valid Yahoo ID and password to participate.

You are now required to sign-in using your Yahoo email account in order to provide us with feedback and to submit votes and comments to existing ideas. If you do not have a Yahoo ID or the password to your Yahoo ID, please sign-up for a new account.

If you have a valid Yahoo ID and password, follow these steps if you would like to remove your posts, comments, votes, and/or profile from the Yahoo product feedback forum.

Fire away - we are listening!

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. No TV Listings

Where did the TV Listings go?

The new my.yahoo. does not have TV Listings. Bring back the old my.yahoo.

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  4. CONTENT  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Related content

http://z9.yahoo.com/user/45FC6PHAVHJAQCSOF6ZBI337MU/Health/anna-paquin-stephen-moyer-welcome-twin-babies-202948210.html?.tsrc=internalemail1

Is there related content? It talks about her babies but don't show her pregnant or the babies. I know the article isn't org. content so are we just left with what that article says or is it possible to add any content to it?

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Mashable infographic can't be viewed on Chrome

http://z9.yahoo.com/home/want-app-developer-heres-infographic-021425536.html

Infographic -- huge, tall but thin graphic -- is very small, unreadable (on Chrome browser/OSx) and clicking it doesn't take you to a larger version...and not clear how to view the graphic by some other mechanism. Had to go to the article, and then it was confusing because z9 displays the reduced-size infographic above the article, but mashable displays it below.

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Top Stories can't start with stuff that's 9 hours old

You can't call something "Top Stories" when the content that tops the stories is at a minimum hours old. There are items here that are 15 hours old, too. We're not delivering on the promise that we're relevant and timely to our users.

The industry research is clear on this -- when asked to rank what qualities users want in their news content, timeliness nearly always ranks at the top.

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. the related interest topics shown are not related to my interest

there was no content for one of my interests (feng shui)

9th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  4. CONTENT  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. thumbed down article still there next day

this is annoying, i don't want to see it anymore

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Project TeamProject Team responded

Neither do we. :)
    The thumb buttons aren’t connected to any functionality on the back-end yet.

We’ve also heard others request that thumbing a story down should remove it immediately, which is something we will also explore going forward.

8. 34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

You shouldn’t be seeing any exact dupes, but near dupes are pretty common right now (e.g., same content, different sources). We’re working on clustering algorithms to identify near dupes so we can eliminate this issue. We’ll also be able to roll together related articles on breaking news, so you’ll be able to see a story evolve.

9. I try to follow 'Cat', and 'Olympics-Men's canoe sprint K1 200m semi-final results' Comes Up

This looks like a clear-cut bug, as there was another canoe article also, and neither of them had the word 'cat' in them.

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

If you spot issues like this, please share a link to the specific article. We try to log all of these types of issues as bugs, but we can only address them if we can reproduce the problem.

10. Search multiple interests?

If I search something like "Italy travel" there are no results. Perhaps we can search Italy and travel separately and give the recommended interests?

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. No content for suggested topics

First time I connected to Zed, I was asked about content I'd like to see. One of the suggestions I had was badminton, but then, no content on the badminton page, although it was a very hot topics this past week.

17th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. For future - target ads carefully

As a female reader, I don't want to see ads like Fisker's car ad with the swimsuit girl and the tagline 'designed to get you hot'. I just don't want to see this kind of content in a 'personalized' reader. Please consider capturing sex of user to ensure that advertising is not blatantly offensive to the end user - or provide a way to 'report ad as inappropriate/don't show me this ad again'

7th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! Improved targeting is indeed planned in the future, based on what we know of the user and of their interests. We are also looking at ad feedback mechanisms. Right now, we have a very small test inventory of ads, so it’s quite likely you’ll see some ads that don’t seem appropriately targeted.

13. Individual Pages/Sections for Each Declared Interest

It would be nice to have an individual page dedicated to each of my declared interests as opposed to mixing all of them within my collection. For instance, if I declared "Social Media" as an interest I would like to be able to have a specific page with articles/content relevant to "Social Media".

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! We’re revisiting the role of collections vs. interests. Collections have value, but there’s also the use case you mention. Currently, if you’re reading content in one of your collections, and you follow another interest, it adds it to the collection you’re in. That said, there are 2 ways you can create a standalone Social Media collection right now:
    1. Open the menu/tray; click “Manage Collections”; create a new collection with just Social Media; give the collection a name
    2. Search for “Social Media” in the search box in the chrome; click the “Follow” link in the header of that page.
    Both of these should create a standalone Social Media collection which you can access in your navigation

14. Recommendations

Screenshot from the partially related/offensive topics recommended.

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

What’s offensive about those recommended interests?

15. Poor Reading Experience

Reading this article was a poor experience because there are a lot of missing spaces between words. Examples: "CamilaAlves,"thefirst", "didn'treally"...etc.

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. If you see this issue again, can you please use the “Report Bug” link so we can capture the URL and see what you are seeing?

16. Press releases appearing in Zed

I'm starting to see press releases show up directly in Zed again. There's probably a debate to be had about whether they belong, but my vote as a user is that they detract from the experience (plus, we're essentially giving companies free advertising): http://z9.yahoo.com/Canada/xeomin-cosmetic-clostridium-botulinum-neurotoxin-125800851.html

17th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Generally speaking, we shouldn’t have press releases showing up as content. If we can identify particular sources that only provide press releases, we can remove them from the crawl.

17. Sources

I'm not sure how many sources this app uses, but I believe the more, the better. On my tech page, I've got three stories all related to Sony's profits this quarter and while from different sources, they're all pretty much the same thing. Maybe adding more sources will help diversify content and prevent this sort of thing?

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback Scott. We have plans to better address de-duping content in a coming release, which should help with this issue. Separately, we are looking at ingesting content from more sources, to create an even better experience, although that won’t necessarily address the dupe issues.

18. We should show tweets by hashtag indexing

Twitter is a a rich source of timely information on a diverse set of well-tagged info:

https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23physics

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Twitter as a source of interests and content will certainly be explored in the coming months. Its priority is being elevated with the upcoming project.

19. "hectares" is a meaningless recommended interest

I'll remove that from the new wiki list.

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Looks like John both added this item, and took the action item to follow up on it. :)

20. Same articles showing up as 4 days ago

Hi,
    Im seeing the same article titles in some of the Interest areas... i.e. Food & Cooking as I did last week, and I didnt click on them last week because I wasnt interested in them, so shouldnt they refresh?

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. In future we will be looking at how to factor a user’s view history into what content we display. I agree that in these cases, if you’ve seen a particular tile a few times in a prior session, there’s probably not a lot of value in still showing them. That said, the bigger issue is probably that for some interests, we simply don’t have a lot of new content to show you. We’ll be looking at ways to address that too.

← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Yahoo! Concept Test Feedback Center

Feedback and Knowledge Base