Yahoo! Concept Test Feedback Center

NOTE THAT THIS MESSAGE BOARD IS NOW ONLY PERIODICALLY MONITORED. THE MEDIA EXPERIENCES TEAM THANKS YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR FEEDBACK TO DATE.

Welcome to our feedback center!

Here is how it works:
Enter your feedback in the appropriate category. (Tip: check that an entry doesn’t already exist)
You have 20 votes. Use them to support specific feedback you think matters most. You can reallocate your votes over time by removing them from previously voted on items, or when your votes are returned to you once a feedback is addressed and closed by our team.

Thank you for your participation, and congrats for helping improve online media for millions around the world!

NOTE: If you are experiencing issues that feel like clear defects (links not working; layout breaking; poor performance; incorrect/irrelevant related interests displayed on articles, etc), please use the “Report Bug” link in the product rather than this feedback forum. Doing so will enable us to capture information from your session that will make it easier to debug the issue. Please use this feedback forum for suggestions/concerns about design and usability and to suggest product improvement ideas.

The Yahoo product feedback forum now requires a valid Yahoo ID and password to participate.

You are now required to sign-in using your Yahoo email account in order to provide us with feedback and to submit votes and comments to existing ideas. If you do not have a Yahoo ID or the password to your Yahoo ID, please sign-up for a new account.

If you have a valid Yahoo ID and password, follow these steps if you would like to remove your posts, comments, votes, and/or profile from the Yahoo product feedback forum.

Fire away - we are listening!

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Thumbs up/down

I think it might be useful to add the thumbs up/down icons on articles in each section. That way, it's possible to see what you've liked or disliked as you skim. It's especially useful because you could see what you've read as well.

2nd ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  2. DESIGN  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Project TeamProject Team responded

Absolutely! Great suggestion and something we are planning. We want to give the user the ability to “triage” — quickly mark what what they want and what they don’t — at the summary/landing page level. Thanks for the feedback!

2. Use escape button to close article and fall back to article tile and not to top of page

1. For people who are right handed its easier to have escape button as an option to close a article page and go back to article tiles. So can we have both escape / back button to go back to previous page that contains the tiles

2. When we close the article using "Back / escape (assuming)" It loads the tiles page and it starts from the top again. User need to scroll down again to the tiles to continue skimming from where he left off. I think back button or escape should be done should that it take the…

2nd ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. I think that onboarding should be more visual

Today the onboarding is not
    visually appealing.

9th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We agree! The onboarding process is being worked on as we speak and it should be launched in early July. We’ll send a broadcast for your review when that happens.

4. Eliminate article summaries?

Since many of the article summaries are chopping off mid-sentence due to design issues, perhaps it would be better just to focus on headlines and images, and delete article summaries entirely?

17th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. We’ve heard also that some users find the summaries helpful because it provides just enough information on the article to know whether they want to click through. But we are looking at possible headline-only treatments to achieve higher density on landing pages. Appreciate your input; we are always listening.

5. 34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  2. DESIGN  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have an engineer working on this as we speak. Should be fixed soon.

6. Giant ad does not align with other pages/articles

the giant ad literally doesn't fit - it is both too large for its slot (the ad graphic itself has its headline and sides being cut off) but also slams right up into the header section and does not align with articles to either side - really bad visual experience. see attached

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  2. DESIGN  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks Cassandra. I’ve filed a bug on this. The top alignment issue arose when we made some changes to the chrome and headers on content recently. The side cropping is an issue the ads team will deal with once we’ve got some real ad creative being served.

7. Many concerns

-very confusing and jarring layout with no clear flow in terms of user navigation. -major concern that taking this direction will likely kill traffic, content consumption and monetization opportunities across the board for Yahoo!'s major properties.
    -terrible ad experience in current state, seems as though there is little room for custom brand integration.
    -needs bigger and bolder editorial images incorporated
    -How would I arrive at my Fantasy Football team or a MMT page in Y! Autos?

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback Andrew. Which aspects of navigation do you find confusing?

Some important context related to your other points:
    - This is an alpha product, which isn’t trying to solve for becoming the entire Yahoo experience. The role of properties is a well known area that needs to be considered in any Media experience, but for now, we’re trying to focus on the the basics of a personalized content experience, before properties are tackled. We’re also not trying to solve for things like Fantasy Sports, Stock charts, etc. at this stage in this specific experience
    - The ad experience hasn’t been a big focus yet. That said, the feedback on the overall direction of the ad experience from Advertisers has been very positive. Much improved targeting capabilities and opportunities for larger canvases than on Yahoo! today. There are also other concepts that would provide unique custom brand experiences

8. arrows on this page can be confusing

I thought there were sub-interests because of the arrows. I don't see how useful they are and should just be eliminated on pages like this.

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Appreciate the feedback, and see how that could be misleading. We are already looking at alternatives for the way “Related interests” can be treated. Your input is important, and we will be using user response to evaluate and determine the best design, so thanks for taking the time to comment.

9. Is this sleek enough?

My initial though was whether this is sleek enough when i first entered into the site. I only see a bunch of headlines, some were relevant, some were not so relevant to my interests. I also think that we can do a better job grabbing users interests at the start. Arguably, a big part of the products success is the initial instinct on whether they like it or don't. Providing relevant content to them at the very beginning is critical.

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. I agree! We’re working on an in-product first user experience in the coming weeks, which should help make for a more compelling first experience with the product.

10. 34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the comment! You are not alone in this preference :) We are looking at ways to improve the landing pages and make them more intuitive, so your feedback will definitely be considered.

11. Center aligned article titles are difficult to red

It's better that they are left aligned. Center aligned text makes it difficult to read.m

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks and we agree…wholeheartedly. There is plenty of evidence that your preference is shared by the majority of users, tests bear it out, and we will be making design changes accordingly. Appreciate your comment.

Designing Web Usability, (New Riders, 2000) Jakob Nielsen, pp 126, “Chap 3: Content Design”: “Almost all text should be left-justified. By having a steady starting point for the eye to start scanning, the user can read much faster than when faced with centered or right-justified text.”

12. Tile design

I like my colorful account tile and would like to give the other tiles colors or backgrounds too - maybe an image that relates to the topic if it's simple enough.

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks! We totally agree and already have a design locked for exactly what you describe. It is much more visually rich, so please stay tuned for improved navigation.

13. interests get lost at end of card

it's easy to miss related interests on article

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Great feedback. Our design team is aware of this and is working on various solutions to bring it to prominence. Stay tuned! Thiago

14. Layout

Hi,
    Here are a few observations:
    - Are you planning to add a "X" in the right edge of each article you dont find relevant? Hopefully that would then mean I would start to get less of those types of articles.

- To me there is way too much text, its overwhelming. There should be alot more images so that you dont have to read 10 article titles on a page to find out which one you want to click on. The only tiles my eyes are drawn to are the ones with images. Also, for certain categories like "food…

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the comprehensive feedback, Chase. On each of your comments:
    1. We will be exploring “negative feedback” interactions in the coming weeks. Currently we have thumbs down on the articles, but we are exploring interactions on the tiles and behaviors on the articles that would remove items that are thumbed down or that the user wants to remove.
    2. I agree on the text concerns. Unfortunately, we’re limited by the content pool we have. Without investing a fair amount on the science side, it may remain more text-heavy than we would like, but it’s definitely a top of mind concern.
    3. Currently, we have a fixed grid to enable it to work across devices and browser sizes, so the tile size and format is not related to the importance of the story being displayed. But it’s helpful feedback to know that your perception is that the size should in…

15. General layout

I like the general layout of the contents page, but it feels a little too neutral. It might look better on an iPad than it does my computer, though. It gets worse when you actually click on an article to read it. I feel like I'm reading what someone wrote in Microsoft Word. I think it could use some borders or a little color...just something to make the page pop.

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  2. DESIGN  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks. You’re right: it’s neutral, and that was the intention for the first phase of design. But we hear you and will be making changes to give the content more expressive range.

16. Add "Up" and "Down" votes to bottom of article

By adding the "Up" and "Down" thumb votes to the bottom of the article, you'll have a much more natural user engagement scheme and will be a natural lead into the Related Interests module.

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We agree! We had to make some near-term compromises for technical reasons, but we will be revisiting implementation of the thumbs in the coming weeks.

17. River End Card feels like dead end

The river end card feels like a dead end (even though it promotes other things I might be interested in). I always find myself wanting to swipe to the summary page of my next interest.

At least there should be an easy way to get back home.

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your comment. We do have a new design for the card to cap a river of content — pointing you to new and related interests. That way you never really reach ‘the end’ but can continue content exploration and discovery.

18. Different approach to dual axis scrolling + different tiles view on Top Stories

Hi,

how about a different approach to dual axis scrolling? Following idea for Mobile:

1. vertical scrolling:
    -> Zed home is infinite stream of articles (mix of all your interests, e.g. the top stories or latest).
    -> only a small tile with article category (interest), article title to allow quick scanning.

2. Tap on the article tile will not open the article, but instead make the tile bigger unveiling an article summary, image if available and also actions like "read later", "share" etc..

3. When an article tile is in focus (e.g. in the middle of the screen) during vertical…

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, Antonius. The vertical scroll you describe in 4. is not a common pattern — separate articles shown in full, stacked vertically — but it has come up in discussions with product and engineering. Your comment on what “the point is” is well taken and certainly identifies two key usecases: quick scan, and easy deep dive (with an equally easy way out : ). Some of your early comments (1) strike very close to the heart of our uture direction. : ) Really appreciate the feedback!

19. Thumbs up/thumps down should stay highlighted

When I click a thump up/thump down on an article page, I would like keep that thumps up/thumps down highlighted as to what I chose in case I come across it again.

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We agree, and that is the intended behavior. The state of your choice should persist. Thanks for the catch and watch for this change.

20. Mobile icon, mobile feedback link

When I save Zed to my phone home screen there is no icon. We should have a graphical button to compete with all the apps for users attention.

Second, in the card view it is impossible to access feedback link. The screen snaps back up to the last article and the user is unable to access the links in the footer

The commenting experience needs to allow the user to see what they are typing. Currently anything beyond two lines on iPhone is not displayed in the text field.

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you, Michael. The team is looking into the items you outlined.

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Yahoo! Concept Test Feedback Center

Feedback and Knowledge Base