Yahoo! Concept Test Feedback Center

NOTE THAT THIS MESSAGE BOARD IS NOW ONLY PERIODICALLY MONITORED. THE MEDIA EXPERIENCES TEAM THANKS YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR FEEDBACK TO DATE.

Welcome to our feedback center!

Here is how it works:
Enter your feedback in the appropriate category. (Tip: check that an entry doesn’t already exist)
You have 20 votes. Use them to support specific feedback you think matters most. You can reallocate your votes over time by removing them from previously voted on items, or when your votes are returned to you once a feedback is addressed and closed by our team.

Thank you for your participation, and congrats for helping improve online media for millions around the world!

NOTE: If you are experiencing issues that feel like clear defects (links not working; layout breaking; poor performance; incorrect/irrelevant related interests displayed on articles, etc), please use the “Report Bug” link in the product rather than this feedback forum. Doing so will enable us to capture information from your session that will make it easier to debug the issue. Please use this feedback forum for suggestions/concerns about design and usability and to suggest product improvement ideas.

The Yahoo product feedback forum now requires a valid Yahoo ID and password to participate.

You are now required to sign-in using your Yahoo email account in order to provide us with feedback and to submit votes and comments to existing ideas. If you do not have a Yahoo ID or the password to your Yahoo ID, please sign-up for a new account.

If you have a valid Yahoo ID and password, follow these steps if you would like to remove your posts, comments, votes, and/or profile from the Yahoo product feedback forum.

Fire away - we are listening!

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. 9th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  1. USABILITY  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Images not popping - should they

Should the small images at the top of a story expand? I would think if I clicked on them they would get bigger. I can't even tell what is happening in them?

Looking at article of the Today show not mentioning 9/11 (shame on them!)

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  1. USABILITY  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Design for two kinds of Interest - Persistent and Non persistant

I think Interests there are two types of user interests

Type 1: Persistent - Here user basically declares his interests like his favorite team or actor or politician etc .... current zed design handles this well

Type 2: Non Persistent Interest - These are based on current trends / news
    Example: Tornado Irine - People want news about this to be surfaced only when this item is treding. I dont want to add Irine in my interest and later have to manually clean on my interests.

Few ideas to solve this

1. USe Thumbs up down to be integrated with…

9th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Recommended interests can not be added to existing collections

Currently, when interests are recommended at the end of an article - if a user adds them, they end up automatically added as a top level collection. When adding a recommended interest, the user should be allowed to add it to an existing collection

17th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Kill the footer

Kill the Footer. Make the Footer a pull out layover instead. ie pull out the "feedback" or "report bug" abilities via a simple html5 pullout.

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. It is too slow for a fluid experience on 3G on an iPad 3

It is very slick, but it is painfully slow. Scrolling up and down has some lag (not much, but noticeable compared to scrolling in Mail or other apps), and (much worse) scrolling between topics (left/right) and navigating to articles involves several seconds of waiting. This is on an iPad 3 via VZN 3G.

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    Project TeamProject Team responded

Thanks for your comment, Ken. We are making every effort to improve performance.

7. Accidental interest deletion can not be redon

I accidentally clicked on an interest when managing a collection - and that removes the interest from the collection without any warning. Then there is no way for me to recall what was the interest that I removed to be able to add it again

ideally there should be a confirmation check before removing an interest, or at least have that remove operation triggered by a specific icon (currently it is happening when you click anywhere in the row of the interest)

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We agree. Stay tuned for improvements to interest management.

8. length of pages

since we're swiping/scrolling sideways from page to page, could the pages be designed with the same length? Seems the top page is much longer than the others ...

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Beth, do you mean the collection/interest pages? We will be looking at changing the approach to enable infinite-scrolling on any of the pages (so you can get more content for any collection you want to see more content for), and doing this will also mean that the default height of each page should become consistent. Currently, Top Stories is showing more content intentionally, since it covers all of your interests and has a much larger content pool than any single interest.

9. I don't like scrolling left-right AND up-down.

I find it annoying that scrolling left-right doesn't show me a full page's worth of content, and only one page; having to scroll down to see the rest of the info is a distraction, and I quickly find myself scanning the uppermost items and moving on. Any way to have stories within a section spit between multiple adjacent left-right pages to stay above the fold? (I realize "above the fold" is nonsense these days in a traditional web page layout, but in this FlipBoard-style left-right scrolling layout, it has an impact.)

4th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback, Dave. The horizontal navigation model (moving article-to-article) doesn’t play nicely with an additional horizontal interaction to paginate within an article. That’s why we started with vertical scrolling to see more of a piece of content (or collection page), and horizontal navigation to move to the next article (or next collection page). If you saw the headline for an article and knew you didn’t want to read the story, having the ability to quickly move onto the next item without paginating through the current article is advantageous.

This said, the navigational interactions may evolve as we see how people are using the product, so thanks for your input.

10. Sorting of articles on topic pages

For topics where the date is not that important like for Health or Lifestyle, I would rather have the articles sorted by subtopic or at least would like that option. It would make the page less confusing.

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. We are looking at better ways of organizing the landing pages, so please stay tuned.

11. difficult to know which section will come next

While on a section, say "Buisness", its difficult to know which section will come next and how to bring that section. Its not intuitive to use the arrow keys and the affordance of the arrow is not enough to give the user a cue that there is more content on the either side.

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback, Sarit. Any thoughts on what would make it more discoverable/intuitive for you?

12. add cycle navigating through multiple collections

currently, if I have multiple collections: a, b, c, d, I can only navigator forward or backward. For example, I start with a, go to b, then, c, then d. Now if I want to go back to a, I have to go back 3 steps. The more collections you have, the worse this problem gets.

How about make it like a, b, c, d, a, b, c, d... ?

17th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! Interesting idea. We’ll be looking at the data to understand how many people even get to the end of their collections, and if it’s common, we will be looking at alternative options for what happens at the end.

13. Support for transient interests

I'd like to be able to follow an interest for just a few days, and then have it fade away gradually from my feed.

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. This is a use case that will be considered as we continue to evolve interest management in the product. We’ve heard the same request from a number of users.

14. Old articles and feels unintuitive

Usability issues on PC - this does not feel intuitive on PC. It wasn't clear that I needed to click the top header to go 'back' to the main categories page. How do I remove, favorite, share, or suppress articles? How do I tell it I don't want to see Lady Gaga or Nicki Minaj?

17th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. Favorite and share are features that are on the roadmap, so stay tuned. We are also looking at enabling users to block/dislike specific interests (such as Lady Gaga).
    On the header interaction, we’ll be looking at how to make it more visually clear that the collection name takes you back to the collection’s landing page.

15. Can the font size be adjustable?

Could the font size be adjustable so we can enlarge it (temporarily) or make it smaller...for easier readability...like we can adjust it on the e-readers?

17th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks Beth. On desktop, this can be done by just zooming in the browser. On tablet/smartphone, it’s a longer-term feature that we can consider incorporating.

16. Clicking outside of the top panel area should close the top drawer

I shouldn't have to click the upper-left icon to close the drawer; clicking the content area below the drawer should do it.

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks Dave, we have a task in our backlog to update this behavior so that clicking the content area and scrolling the page while the “tray” is open will close the tray.

17. Same article from Lifestyle appears twice

Headlines/articles should be de-duped if two news services pick up the same story (parents slap their children in public more often than previously thought)

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We agree and are looking at ways to improve our de-duping constantly. Appreciate your taking the time to comment

18. Option to add RSS feeds on our own as future functionality?

I'd like to be able to add specialized RSS feeds that I know of (that may not be offered by the existing system), thus letting me centralize any feeds I want to follow in one place. This would allow me super specialization and customization of the reader and make me more inclined to return regularly.

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. This is a common feature and definitely under discussion. Please stay tuned.

19. Z9 is slow and the touch interface is buggy (take 2)

Please ignore my previous post. Uservoice registered a submit event vefore i finished typing...

I'm in hawaii using z9 on my ipad 5 bars on 3g, and netflix runs perfectly well) and the z9 ui renders very slowly (1-2 seconds for some images/articles). The touch interface is also unpredictable (touch and swipe to navigate in a river gets interpretted as clicking on an article). Those two problems together make it very frustrating to use zed.

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hope you’re enjoying Hawaii, Paul!
    We have a bug on the kanban board for addressing the accidental clicks. The loading time will need to be tackled as part of our ongoing performance improvement work. I’ll drop a note to Karen.

20. Topic relatedness could be better

Some suggested topics don't relate to topic at hand and some related topics are not being suggested.

I was looking for news on "rowing". The rowing and rowing (sports) pages are empty. I got one suggestion somewhere for the olympics (maybe under sport), but nothing else. Eventually I came across the very relevant page: "Rowing at the Summer Olympics", that was not suggested previously.

Also difficulty finding sports news just related to one country, in my case Germany.

34th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your comment. Related interests are a feature we are continually improving — so your content exploration and discovery can continue. We’ll take your feedback into consideration about when and where to surface relevant ‘relatedness’.

← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Yahoo! Concept Test Feedback Center

Feedback and Knowledge Base