Yahoo! Concept Test Feedback Center

NOTE THAT THIS MESSAGE BOARD IS NOW ONLY PERIODICALLY MONITORED. THE MEDIA EXPERIENCES TEAM THANKS YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR FEEDBACK TO DATE.

Welcome to our feedback center!

Here is how it works:
Enter your feedback in the appropriate category. (Tip: check that an entry doesn’t already exist)
You have 20 votes. Use them to support specific feedback you think matters most. You can reallocate your votes over time by removing them from previously voted on items, or when your votes are returned to you once a feedback is addressed and closed by our team.

Thank you for your participation, and congrats for helping improve online media for millions around the world!

NOTE: If you are experiencing issues that feel like clear defects (links not working; layout breaking; poor performance; incorrect/irrelevant related interests displayed on articles, etc), please use the “Report Bug” link in the product rather than this feedback forum. Doing so will enable us to capture information from your session that will make it easier to debug the issue. Please use this feedback forum for suggestions/concerns about design and usability and to suggest product improvement ideas.

Fire away - we are listening!

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. I don't like scrolling left-right AND up-down.

I find it annoying that scrolling left-right doesn't show me a full page's worth of content, and only one page; having to scroll down to see the rest of the info is a distraction, and I quickly find myself scanning the uppermost items and moving on. Any way to have stories within a section spit between multiple adjacent left-right pages to stay above the fold? (I realize "above the fold" is nonsense these days in a traditional web page layout, but in this FlipBoard-style left-right scrolling layout, it has an impact.)

4th ranked
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • yahoo
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  1. USABILITY  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      under review  ·  Project TeamProject Team responded

Thanks for the feedback, Dave. The horizontal navigation model (moving article-to-article) doesn’t play nicely with an additional horizontal interaction to paginate within an article. That’s why we started with vertical scrolling to see more of a piece of content (or collection page), and horizontal navigation to move to the next article (or next collection page). If you saw the headline for an article and knew you didn’t want to read the story, having the ability to quickly move onto the next item without paginating through the current article is advantageous.

This said, the navigational interactions may evolve as we see how people are using the product, so thanks for your input.

• 4th ranked
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • yahoo
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        4 comments  ·  1. USABILITY  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        started  ·  Project TeamProject Team responded

Indeed, our proposed onboarding process is currently in development with a target of early July. Stay tuned! We’ll send an announcement when released for testing.

• Design for two kinds of Interest - Persistent and Non persistant

I think Interests there are two types of user interests

Type 1: Persistent - Here user basically declares his interests like his favorite team or actor or politician etc .... current zed design handles this well

Type 2: Non Persistent Interest - These are based on current trends / news
        Example: Tornado Irine - People want news about this to be surfaced only when this item is treding. I dont want to add Irine in my interest and later have to manually clean on my interests.

Few ideas to solve this

1. USe Thumbs up down to be integrated with…

9th ranked
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • yahoo
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • 9th ranked
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • yahoo
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  1. USABILITY  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • get search working

When I try and select my preferences in terms of content, the fields that interest me are not available. If the search function were working I would then be able to populate this better.

17th ranked
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • yahoo
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              5 comments  ·  1. USABILITY  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              planned  ·  Project TeamProject Team responded

If this is mainly about the breadth of the interests shown, we have decided to now use a very large list. Let us know if you are still experiencing this on Monday. We are doing a new push today! (Friday)

• add cycle navigating through multiple collections

currently, if I have multiple collections: a, b, c, d, I can only navigator forward or backward. For example, I start with a, go to b, then, c, then d. Now if I want to go back to a, I have to go back 3 steps. The more collections you have, the worse this problem gets.

How about make it like a, b, c, d, a, b, c, d... ?

17th ranked
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • yahoo
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! Interesting idea. We’ll be looking at the data to understand how many people even get to the end of their collections, and if it’s common, we will be looking at alternative options for what happens at the end.

• Can the font size be adjustable?

Could the font size be adjustable so we can enlarge it (temporarily) or make it smaller...for easier readability...like we can adjust it on the e-readers?

17th ranked
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • yahoo
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks Beth. On desktop, this can be done by just zooming in the browser. On tablet/smartphone, it’s a longer-term feature that we can consider incorporating.

• Old articles and feels unintuitive

Usability issues on PC - this does not feel intuitive on PC. It wasn't clear that I needed to click the top header to go 'back' to the main categories page. How do I remove, favorite, share, or suppress articles? How do I tell it I don't want to see Lady Gaga or Nicki Minaj?

17th ranked
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • yahoo
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. Favorite and share are features that are on the roadmap, so stay tuned. We are also looking at enabling users to block/dislike specific interests (such as Lady Gaga).
                    On the header interaction, we’ll be looking at how to make it more visually clear that the collection name takes you back to the collection’s landing page.

• Recommended interests can not be added to existing collections

Currently, when interests are recommended at the end of an article - if a user adds them, they end up automatically added as a top level collection. When adding a recommended interest, the user should be allowed to add it to an existing collection

17th ranked
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • yahoo
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • length of pages

since we're swiping/scrolling sideways from page to page, could the pages be designed with the same length? Seems the top page is much longer than the others ...

34th ranked
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • yahoo
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  1. USABILITY  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Beth, do you mean the collection/interest pages? We will be looking at changing the approach to enable infinite-scrolling on any of the pages (so you can get more content for any collection you want to see more content for), and doing this will also mean that the default height of each page should become consistent. Currently, Top Stories is showing more content intentionally, since it covers all of your interests and has a much larger content pool than any single interest.

• Give users feedback on how long a page is / how much of it is left

It seems like the the native scrollbar on the iPhone and iPad is missing. This makes it hard to know how long the page is.

Would be great if we could use the native scroll and show the scrollbar as it is on all other pages in iOs.

34th ranked
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • yahoo
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. I agree, this is a useful indicator, especially on the phone. We’ve spent a lot of time working on integrating (dual axis) scrollview into the product. I think the intention is to support native scrolling on devices where it’s possible, provided it still enables us to support horizontal scrolling/swiping.

• Clicking outside of the top panel area should close the top drawer

I shouldn't have to click the upper-left icon to close the drawer; clicking the content area below the drawer should do it.

34th ranked
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • yahoo
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks Dave, we have a task in our backlog to update this behavior so that clicking the content area and scrolling the page while the “tray” is open will close the tray.

• No way out of user page back to Zed

Once a user lands on http://stage.zed.yahoo.com/user , there is no obvious link or other way to get out back to Zed main page

34th ranked
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • yahoo
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for the feedback. We have an enhancement filed for this and it will be fixed.

• Interest declaration process is too time-consuming

In my view, there are just too many interest to choose from. I think the process of interest declaration should be less time-consuming and intrusive.
                              For example, it may be better to collect interests as the user reads articles.
                              When I got to the first screen, I was impatient to go through all of the presented collections and wanted to hit the "done" button asap.

34th ranked
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • yahoo
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, Victor. We are working on simplifying the interest declaration process via onboarding. This is also consistent with recent lab tests.

• Kill the footer

Kill the Footer. Make the Footer a pull out layover instead. ie pull out the "feedback" or "report bug" abilities via a simple html5 pullout.

34th ranked
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • yahoo
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Delete Articles

I would like to be able to delete articles that are of no interest to me. Also, would it be possible to reposition ads? Some of then are at the top of the page, which takes away from the experience (not the first thing I want to see when I land to my collection page/Top Story page).

34th ranked
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • yahoo
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    started  ·  Project TeamProject Team responded

We’ve gotten a number of requests for ability to remove tiles/articles, so we are aiming to add that functionality in the next 1-2 weeks. In terms of ads, for now they will remain as is, but the overall ad experience is not final.

• Manage Collections - blank page?

I got to Manage Collections and get my side colum with collections and 'undefined' as small text on an otherwise blank page. Dragging things around doesn't seem to do anything?

34th ranked
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • yahoo
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      Project TeamProject Team responded

Thanks for highlighting this. I can’t reproduce this issue on z9.yahoo.com environment, but we saw this a while back on our dev environment. You should be able to select any of your collections (if you want to edit them) or click New Collection (if you want to create a new collection). If that doesn’t work, please click the “Report Bug” link when you see this issue next so we can automatically capture some details from the page as you’re viewing it.
                                      Thanks!

• Option to add RSS feeds on our own as future functionality?

I'd like to be able to add specialized RSS feeds that I know of (that may not be offered by the existing system), thus letting me centralize any feeds I want to follow in one place. This would allow me super specialization and customization of the reader and make me more inclined to return regularly.

34th ranked
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • yahoo
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. This is a common feature and definitely under discussion. Please stay tuned.

• drop-down collections doesn't adjust to browser frame

When shrinking the browser window the drop-down collections squares don't follow suit. I have to scroll right to see them all, inconvenient.

34th ranked
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • yahoo
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks, we agree. This was not the intended behavior for the collection tiles in the nav, but only a starting point. But appreciate the comment — please be assured we have scalability in mind.

• difficult to know which section will come next

While on a section, say "Buisness", its difficult to know which section will come next and how to bring that section. Its not intuitive to use the arrow keys and the affordance of the arrow is not enough to give the user a cue that there is more content on the either side.

34th ranked
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • yahoo
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback, Sarit. Any thoughts on what would make it more discoverable/intuitive for you?

← Previous 1 3
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Yahoo! Concept Test Feedback Center

Feedback and Knowledge Base