How can we improve the Yahoo Sports?

Fantasy Football: New Scoring Model for Kickers

The current scoring model for Kickers in Fantasy Football is flawed.

It should replicate the scoring models of WR's and RB's where a player receives 1 point for every 10 yards, thus a kicker would receive points based on the actual yardage of the made field goal, not a range of yards.

Therefore, if a kicker hits a 18 yard FG, they are awarded 1.8 points, 4.7 points for a 47 yard FG, and 6.1 for a 61 yard FG. Made Extra points still count for 1 point.

The fact that a 18 yard and 39 yard field goal count for the same amount of points is preposterous. You wouldn't reward a wide receiver 3 points for catching a 20 yard pass, or a running back only 5 points for completing a 65 yard run, so why do we hold kickers to a lower standard?

I am asking that you at least make this scoring model available for leagues to choose. I think it would be quite popular once word gets out.

Thanks,
Mike

19th ranked
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MikeMike shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Patrick LynchPatrick Lynch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What they need to have is this: 0-30 yrd FG = 3 fpts. and then .1 pt for every yard thereafter. For example a 45 yrd FG = 4.5 fpts. In addition, why in the world does Yahoo NOT have a fantasy point category for a 60yrd+ FG?????? they have everything up to 50. Kickers do sometimes kick a 60 yarder.....

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

P K is right. The commissioner can change the values of field goals per ten yards... but I do like the fact of allowing fractional points. A 15 yard field goal should only be worth 1.5 points... not 2 or 3.

• P KP K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They already have most of this feature (except the fractional points). Under Scoring and Settings the commissioner can change scoring by range so a 19 yarder isn't the same as a 60 yarder.

• AshleyAshley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why would this make any sense at all. There is no place in football that such scoring takes place. Fantasy football is based on the real game with a little incentive in certain areas. A kicker using the mentioned method would make poor teams kicker a lot better than a good teams kicker. Just not realistic.

• jimjim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

that's an interesting idea...i like it except it does kind of reward a team for not succeeding so then you consider kickers from lesser teams which is opposite of 'normal' drafting...having it as an option like you said would be good...generally speaking i like the fantrax.com leagues best...yahoo has more bells and whistles though...like rafi says there should be a base of 3 points plus the tenths

just noticed that this is a MIKE thread lol

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Mike K, I'm aware of the current point system in assigning stagnant point values to yard ranges, but it still doesn't account for a kicker hitting a FG of 60 yards plus. Plus we can all agree there is a huge difference between a kicker hitting a 50 yard field goal and a 59 yarder. The only way to differentiate these two feats is by awarding a tenth of a point for each additional yard.

• Mike KMike K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While not exactly what you want if you are a commish in a private league you can currently change the point total for Kickers to be a different value based on the kick distance ( 0-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49 and 50+ ) in addition to subtracting points for field goals missed in those same ranges. To do this go to Commish Tools then Edit Stat Categories.

• RafiRafi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this. In case some people would want to use this model while still having any FG being rewarded a minimum of 3 points, I would recommend an option to cover that as well.

Feedback and Knowledge Base