Hi, please share your suggestions, we are listening

The Dow Jones chart (^DJI) is all screwed up because of two simple little mistakes: May 12, 1995 April 11, 2000

The Dow Jones chart (^DJI) is all screwed up because of two simple little mistakes:
May 12, 1995
April 11, 2000

12th ranked
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Linford HerschbergerLinford Herschberger shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    RobRob shared a merged idea: April 10, 2000 - DOW Jones hit 1,110,000? WOW, I missed that kick!!  ·   · 
    MikeMike shared a merged idea: DJI graph has bad data point.  ·   · 
    MarkMark shared a merged idea: You still haven't corrected the historical data on your DJIA chart in APril of 2000. Results in unusable graphic.  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Why is the data for the charts of the DOW still incorrect for Tue. Apr. 11 2000 with the Volume at 112,870,800 and the value at $1,110,248.0  ·   · 
    MichaelMichael shared a merged idea: The interactive chart for the Dow Jones does not seem to work before May, 2000.  ·   · 
    David CoryellDavid Coryell shared a merged idea: I have found a quote of 439355.03 on the interactive chart of the ^DJI on May 12, 1995. This prevents plotting which includes this date.  ·   · 
    Under review  ·  Yahoo Product SupportAdminYahoo Product Support (Admin, Yahoo) responded  · 

Hi Linford,

Thanks for your post. We have informed our engineers. If there is any inconsistency they will resolve the problem soon.

Please continue to visit our Finance pages and do not hesitate report any problems in this forum if you experience any issues again.

Y! Product Support

29 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David CoryellDavid Coryell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This problem has nothing whatsoever to do with your engineers! Your data entry clerk left out the decimal point when he/she typed in the closing value for those two dates, and the proofreader failed to see the error. It is obvious when you review the "historical prices" ... the same error occurs in that listing for those dates.

• Jerry Sprague Jerry Sprague commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was responsible for IT for a small company with about 1100 employees.
        If I was unable to fix this mistake in about 15 minutes my boss (the President)
        would have fired my worthless ***.
        My God did all of your people come from the Federal government.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So you responded 12/27/2012 it is now 8/22/2013 and the issues are still unresolved!
        Y! Product Support
        Y! Product Support (Admin, Yahoo!) responded · Dec 27, 2012
        Hi Linford,
        Thanks for your post. We have informed our engineers. If there is any inconsistency they will resolve the problem soon.

• AnonAnon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They have done it again with the Dow Jones' volume data on Aug 2th, 2013. Their management or their staff don't see this or they don't even use their own product.

Google has a nice finance chart but their interface or the news content is not quit Ok yet. I hope they can improve it quickly so I can dump this ****.

• ssbarstowssbarstow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second that. Also please put back the chart data that goes back to 1929. It was very useful.

• AnonAnon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No wonder Yahoo is going out of business. Just make it quick so it will be painless.

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Linford is correct! The Yahoo Dow chart has listed the Dow for April 11, 2000 at 1,110,248.00 which is way above the true closing at 11,287.08. May 12, 1995 Dow closing is listed at 439,355.03 which is way above the true closing at 10,603.63. These two data points are causing the chart to appear flat when viewing "max", also "max" only goes back to 1992 it used to go back to the 1920's. I'm amazed Yahoo hasn't fixed this yet, every day millions of people look at historical Dow charts. This is a poor reflection on Yahoo and I can see why it's going down the tubes. If I were the CEO of Yahoo I would seriously express my anxiety to the tech department. I guarantee you if it were Google it would have never taken this long, Google's Dow chart woks flawlessly.

• cc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is still not fixed after several years. msn.com has a great chart if you need it to go back before 2000.

• TomTom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

" If there is any inconsistency they will resolve the problem soon. "

This is not "soon" anymore...
        Someone just has to fix a few data points -- how hard is that?

• anonymousanonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How long does it take to replace decimal points in two numbers? Well, 5 months and counting...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

About Dow Jones Industrial I think little bit finished all I want to review all the past,present and past present tense to all issue even I finished that I try to back where I got the solution because every try can add knowledge.

• David CoryellDavid Coryell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Specifically, the "interactive charts" value for the DJI for April 11,2000 was mis-typed as 1110248.00. From the preceding and following values, it is obvious that the decimal point was omitted, and the value should be 11102.48! Surely this is a simple fix!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base