Hi, please share your suggestions, we are listening

Portfolio editing improvements

I am asking once again..can you make it easier to add, delete and reorder symbols on my Portfolio? I have the feeling I ma not the only one who's having hard time doing basic editing with new Portfolio. Thanks for allowing people to post on this Forum, I hope someone is reading it.

2nd ranked
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    HamburgHamburg shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: The Yahoo Finance page has turned to S#*T. A real struggle to manage portfolios; delete, reorder, etc.  ·   · 
    boopboop shared a merged idea: In an ideal world, I would like to see the Portfolio functionality have two things added I could  ·   · 
    Pat Pat shared a merged idea: reordering should easier - perhaps simply allowing up/dwn arrows next to symbol to move  ·   · 
    Jian ZhangJian Zhang shared a merged idea: I just lost most of entries in my portfolio, after trying to edit it. Sucks!  ·   · 
    maxmax shared a merged idea: please make it easier to edit my symbols in my portfolio in the order where they are  ·   · 
    RonRon shared a merged idea: I added a couple stocks to my portfolio and they ain't go in alphabetical order and when I try and resort it won't let me...  ·   · 
    DavidDavid shared a merged idea: I change the order of the Symbols so the indexes go to the top, but I can not save it that way, so when on Home page the Indexes go back bot  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: For each portfolio, add line for cash.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Need a Portfolio Page that totals all portfolios and shows combined total dollars gained or lost at any moment.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: The stocks in my portfolio are appearing in alphabetical order. And when I attempt to reorder, it does not work and the portfolio returns to  ·   · 
    Jim HayesJim Hayes shared a merged idea: I really wish you would revert back to the way we added and deleted symbols. The current method is very cumbersome.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: I don't see a cash line for the portfolios; please add one...thank you.  ·   · 
    Abhishek KothariAbhishek Kothari shared a merged idea: Please suggest a way to get back to old view.  ·   · 
    RichRich shared a merged idea: Include ETF & Mutual Fund fees - Annual Report Expense Ratio (net) in the Detail section of Customize Current vVew in Manage My Portfolios  ·   · 
    hugohugo shared a merged idea: No suggestion..I cant delete a view, there is no Customize current view button to click, nor delete this view either...how do I do....!  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Your Finance site has been broken for months. The inability to open portfolios, blank screens, "no fields selected.." inexcusable  ·   · 
    MICHAEL LAMMICHAEL LAM shared a merged idea: ADD AND DELETE MORE THAN ONE ITEM IS EXTREMELY DIFFICULT  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: It would be terrific if one could import portfolios  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Too hard to set up portfolio; can't get stuff in order I would like to see it. Too hard to edit.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: please put the averages (dow & nas) on the top of stock prices  ·   · 
    JmarksJmarks shared a merged idea: Deleting Symbols one at a time from a portfolio is inefficient  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: The Fundamentals section in the portfolios is just about useless. Must be for show. To be seen to be doing something  ·   · 
    JmarksJmarks shared a merged idea: Your changes make it ****** to use Yahoo finance. To insert a symbol into a portfolio now one has to renumber all stocks. That is cumbersome  ·   · 
    GreggGregg shared a merged idea: Horrible...very hard to add/delete in portfolios. Please fix.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: VERY awkward to organize delete , add or arrange portfolio's  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Make it easier to edit  ·   · 
    BeardBeard shared a merged idea: I would like to be able to sort stocks within each of my portfolios by industry or sector  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: I haven't been able to change simple things in My Portfolio, primarily the # of shares. Very confusing and frustrating!  ·   · 
    chuck vonachuck vona shared a merged idea: Would be nice to be able to move stocks easily to another portfolio.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Portfolio editing  ·   · 
    stuartstuart shared a merged idea: The Re-ordering of the portfolio is poorly designed.  ·   · 
    mm shared a merged idea: Still haven't figured out how to reorder my list of stocks  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Allow Reordering when Adding\Editing  ·   · 
    jerome winigjerome winig shared a merged idea: your site dont work . CANT CHANGE POSITION OF MY STOCK LIST ?????????????  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Very confusing and difficult to navigate and add, delete symbols to portfolios, also hard to exit. MAKE IT EASE TO EDIT.  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Enhancements?! - You guys broke it! How about just getting back some of the old functionality??  ·   · 
    Igor BilyIgor Bily shared a merged idea: Add a field for comment/description  ·   · 
    AlAl shared a merged idea: Editing symbols: everybody is complaining about the same thing. Please go back to the old way. You fixed it until it was broke!!!  ·   · 
    BogeymanbeachBogeymanbeach shared a merged idea: Portfolio editing  ·   · 
    Ed ChanEd Chan shared a merged idea: I found it very difficult to reorder the stocks in my portfolio. The drag and drop feature only goes as far as the bottom of the screen. I  ·   · 
    mikemike shared a merged idea: please provide the feature to order the symbol in a particular portfolio  ·   · 
    -- shared a merged idea: I would like to see an option for total portfolio value and change history over time.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: It might be easier for first time users to figure out how to delete a symbol if you lable the column with the X's DELETE.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: terrible, how do you add stocks, how do you accept changes and go back, got to be kidding me on navigation!!!!!!!!!  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Poor user experience  ·   · 
    stevesteve shared a merged idea: Please make a 1,3,& 5 year annual return on investment column to add to my portfolio so I can see how much percentage I am up. Thank you  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: The Add/Edit Holdings page should also allow reordering. It would save users time and eliminate the need for the separate "Reorder" link.  ·   · 
    larry mckinneylarry mckinney shared a merged idea: Cannot add a position in alphabetical sequence as before. Deleted all, then readded in sequence to achieve this. PITA  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Suggest you make (Next) Earnings Date a listable item in your customizable formats for Portfolios.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: fix adding group of stocks to a portfolio  ·   · 
    george simongeorge simon shared a merged idea: Portfolio Management  ·   · 
    AlAl shared a merged idea: Please return to the old, EASY TO Use editing format  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: You've changed one of my portfolio's to a very unfriendly methodology for editing that is of no use to me.  ·   · 
    SamitSamit shared a merged idea: Extremely Non-Intuitive to edit portfolio - huge waste of time.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: is there any way to go back to a certain date, say Dec. 31, 2012, and see what the portfolio was doing?  ·   · 
    BillyBilly shared a merged idea: I'd really like to see a performance chart/graph for my whole portfolio. Also, within that chart, calculated yields for time periods  ·   · 
    geogeo shared a merged idea: Please make it easier to add,delete and reorder portfolio. Need to see and edit the symbols as a text list, as used to be possible.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Finance Portfolio  ·   · 
    smilin jacksmilin jack shared a merged idea: Thank you for the return of Ex -dividend data  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: bring the "edit/view transaction" back  ·   · 
    Jay GheewalaJay Gheewala shared a merged idea: Adding stocks to portfolio/watchlist  ·   · 
    Charles WangCharles Wang shared a merged idea: Enhance the Portfolio Page  ·   · 
    jim bestjim best shared a merged idea: Make "Analyst Opinion" from the stock quote page available in the portfolio  ·   · 
    jim bestjim best shared a merged idea: Make the "Analyst Opinion" a field for portfolio's  ·   · 
    oldpbass@yahoo.comoldpbass@yahoo.com shared a merged idea: Take me back to the old portfolio  ·   · 
    SteveSteve shared a merged idea: Perhaps its only temporay, but I am unable to reorder portfolios. Seems to get bogged down and freezes.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Still cannot click first up to read P F detail . have to go through edit , add/delete process sometimes two or three attempts How soon befor  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: It's been almost year since I've been able to arrange my portfolio on my homepage in an order that makes sense.  ·   · 
    masao nakamuramasao nakamura shared a merged idea: Post the purchased date for every stock in my portfolio.  ·   · 
    Lawrence PowerLawrence Power shared a merged idea: It is so much easier to edit my holdings on Morningstar.  ·   · 
    what arre your terms of service? more confusionwhat arre your terms of service? more confusion shared a merged idea: your effor to update this page months ago really stinks. I find it imposssible to add or subtract stock symbols. I'm looking for an alternat  ·   · 
    SeamusSeamus shared a merged idea: It's just maddening trying to add or delete a new stock!! You're sent round & round in circles!  ·   · 
    Ray SaimonsRay Saimons shared a merged idea: .  ·   · 
    mm shared a merged idea: More Marissa Mayer brainwork throughout Yahoo finance  ·   · 
    James BondJames Bond shared a merged idea: A most frustrating page. You enter info on several companies but if you hit enter, all previous entries delete. MAKE IT HOLD ALL INPUTS  ·   · 
    SteveSteve shared a merged idea: Need a more intuitive way to edit your portfolio. Still trying to delete a fund entry and just going around in circles.  ·   · 
    joanjoan shared a merged idea: It used to be easier to add a new stock, number of shares, price of purchase, etc. Now it isn't! Please fix it.  ·   · 
    GuanGuan shared a merged idea: I couldn't find the option for add symbols. could you make easy or go back to old setting?  ·   · 
    Alex JanssenAlex Janssen shared a merged idea: Allow creation of portfolio by CSV upload  ·   · 
    MattMatt shared a merged idea: Can you create alerts for all stocks in a portfolio as opposed to entering individual stocks  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: I cannot find a way to refresh a loaded portfolio without switching to another one and then back. suggestions?  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: It is a major puzzle as to how you add/delete symbols. I have no idea how I even did it the first time. This is ridiculously hard.  ·   · 
    zjzj shared a merged idea: What happened to the simple, fast, and much easier to manage text box entry?  ·   · 
    Jim RoyJim Roy shared a merged idea: go back to the previous way of editing portfolias. current system is awful.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Ability to move stock holding from one folder to another (by dragging instead of deleting etc..)  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Allow multiple deletions of stocks, so we don't have to wait for page to reload after each change/deletion.  ·   · 
    fredfred shared a merged idea: when you are looking at a stock quote and you hit add to a portfolio, it doesn't actually add a stock to the portfolio you select.  ·   · 
    MikeMike shared a merged idea: How do I enter an new transaction in my portfolio? The transaction button is missing  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Please, add the following options: comparison with selected indexes, portfolio charts and portfolios with USD and EUR stocks. Thank you  ·   · 
    Cliff LibbyCliff Libby shared a merged idea: I`d simply rather have the old page back. For me it was easier to work with.  ·   · 
    BillBill shared a merged idea: Editing views  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: How can I keep the Symbols for markets at the top of the portfolio chartt  ·   · 
    PearlPearl shared a merged idea: I use this page daily!! Would be helpful to have a column option for Total Cost  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Don't refresh watch lists  ·   · 
    k. yek. ye shared a merged idea: can you add the allocation into portfolio view section? so I can know easily how much stock I own, and how much bond I have, how much is us.  ·   · 
    dd shared a merged idea: Why don't you get FMFXX Franklin Money Fund to show its $1.00 value in portfolio? I can't even force it in. Makes portfolio useless to me.  ·   · 
    Dan ZinnDan Zinn shared a merged idea: I love this site!!! Would you please consider adding the industry/sector to the portfolio column selection? Thanks  ·   · 
    ScottScott shared a merged idea: Ordering stock symbols doesn't work. It doesn't save the changes.  ·   · 
    John C. ShealyJohn C. Shealy shared a merged idea: I am very disappointed that I cannot view my entire portfolio (spreadsheet) because you do not support Safari as a browser.  ·   · 
    Gathering feedback  ·  Product SupportAdminProduct Support (Admin, Yahoo) responded  · 

Dear Yahoo Finance users,

We read your comments and realize that some of you would like to have enhancements on your Portfolio manager.

Please continue to share your feedback and try to be as specific as possible in order for our engineers and designers to fully understand what new features they should review for consideration.

Regards,
    Yahoo Product Support

119 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • dd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make it easy on your engineers and designers and just go back to the old format. At least add symbol lookup and restore the hover feature to show chart and news.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Suggestion:
        1) Multiple symbol delete in 1 operation. Right now deleting 20 symbols would take 20 minutes and 20 clicks which is way too much.

2) Allow portfolio creation by importing symbols from CSV file.

• JSLJSL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You really have to believe the idiots who designed the new edit process have never tried to manage a 40 or 50 stock portfolio listing on My Yahoo, so they sinply don't know that the process they have created is slow, often malfunctions, and is far, far worse than the old system.

Try it out yourselves. Maybe you'll see we don't want "enhancements" - we wnat the old system back because it was simply BETTER.

• Robert S FriedRobert S Fried commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You actually can add multiple symbols to a portfolio using the Add Symbol (Enter Symbol) box. For a while this would only take one symbol at a time and would put in a date in 1969 but that was since corrected to add the current day by default and allow multiple entries. In automatically sorting portfolios they'll go to their correct position, and in non sorting portfolios they'll stay at the top waiting for you to do something with reorder.

I agree that it would be very good to be able to delete multiple symbols at once. In some of my list portfolios of ideas and / or industries, symbols become invalid as companies go out of business, and cleaning up multiple entries one at a time is very tedious. The same is true when I sell a lot of stuff and need to just get rid of everything that was sold easily without making a long project out of it because you can only delete one thing at a time.

• EdEd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When editing the Portfolio it needs to allow users to delete multiple symbols at once. Currently, when the delete ("X") is clicked, it not only requires a second click to confirm "Remove", but it then refreshes/reloads the entire page instead of simply dynamically removing the symbol from view. This makes it very tedious to delete symbols from a portfolio.

When delete is attempted on the "Reorder" page it is even worse because it navigates to another page just for the delete confirmation.
        Suggestion: On the Reorder page, allow deletion without any confirmation since the user must click "Save" to confirm the batch set of changes anyway.
        The Reorder page seems like a much better method for editing/organizing the portfolio. If you fix the Delete on it and also add the ability to dynamically add multiple symbols to it you'll have a winner!

(I was going to ask for the same ability for adding symbols on the Portfolio page until I realized that multiples could be added by entering them in a comma-separated list.)

• ACAC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's pointless to use this piece of garbage called the New Format. Over 11,000 votes have been recorded by users since Product Support began this asinine "gathering feedback" exercise, and little has been done to correct for Yahoo's inability to integrate the new format with Microsoft's miserable Internet Explorer 11 fiasco. Thus anyone continuing with this exercise is as simple-minded as the product developers who insist on continuing it; and if you are on the development team, throw the garbage out; if you are a user, walk to either the Nasdaq or some other working portfolio.

• PDPD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the stocks in my portfolio is a penny stock.Prior to the change the daily pps of this stock were accurate throughout the day. Now it is ONLY accurate for a few seconds after a refresh. It then reverts to "0" , which skews all of the Totals of the entire portfolio.

It makes you wonder how so many computer geniuses working at Yahoo could stuff up such a simple thing as a portfolio for shares….is this the amateur hour or what????

• Robert S FriedRobert S Fried commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree... the current system is overly cumbersome. For example trade date fields use drop down boxes rather than reading open date fields.

The reordering function never worked in the mode where one is supposed to place a line number in a box and hit enter to move an entry. Do that and the entry is deleted. The very strange handle grabbing works but is sometimes very slow. In long portfolios while you can move something down to the bottom holding the grabber and hitting down arrows with the other hand you can't go all the way down with a 64 bit AMD machine... the arrow keys won't move the page. You have to let go of the handle to move the page down. Not so on Intel machines.

If after making several edits and then add a stock all edits are lost... so you have to remember to add stocks first or it's trouble.

Adding stocks from outside add edit puts dates of 1969 rather than the current day as a default. Inconsistent and changing a 1969 date to a more recent date can be annoying with the date drop down fields.

All this can be avoided using the simpler open box stock adding removing and moving function of the old system. That was very easy and fast to use. The current system is just very clumsy, seems to be written by someone who just found out about linked lists. In the old system the data followed the symbol's order. In this system there is another layer allowing virtual sorting by field that no one needs. It's not worth all this hassle to be able to sort fields. Someone who doesn't use the portfolios seems to think the new system is better. It really isn't from a user's point of view.

Another minor problem is with the edit reorder add edit links: when I select one of them the whole bunch collapse into a little pile. I have to select the drop down arrow for the links to unpile and then they work. Who wrote this stuff?

Plus I still can't read any of my portfolios except on the uk site.

Even with all this complaining these now difficult to use portfolios are the best there is on the internet.

• David BurnsDavid Burns commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Am I the only one that can't edit my portfolio in Google Chrome? I have to open my Yahoo page with IE, make the edits and return to Chrome. I have used Yahoo as my homepage for YEARS but, if you can't fix the problems with using the portfolio with Chrome, I'm gone.

• Bob PollsenBob Pollsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It used to be that there was one big box that you could easily add or delete or move the symbols to another order location within the box. That was much easier than trying to number them or move them, especially in a large portfolio. I finally gave up & just have it automatically sort newly added symbols alphabetically. Any chance that we can have that "old" way back again?

Yahoo Product Support: We, the users, do not object to new features. But, you are eliminating functions that we have used for years, that are essential to the individual investor. Add whatever you like, but leave the original core capabilities in place. It is obvious that Yahoo does not understand how much better Yahoo Finance was, than ANY OTHER SITE! Market Watch, Google, Seeking Alpha, and all the others are junk compared to Yahoo Finance (as of a week ago). Why do you aspire to mediocrity?

• Frank GiambalvoFrank Giambalvo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Real simply enhancement that I would find very, very helpful ...... I have many portfolios that are very large (50 or more) and were created before the major change in Yahoo portfolio management about 1 1/2 years ago. On most portfolios, the new entries are positioned LAST in the view. Therefore, I often have to reorder my new symbol entries so that they appear at the bottom. It would take forever to re-order all my legacy portfolios so that new entries are FIRST in the list. In order to perform this re-order efficiently, I first have to shrink the screen size, scroll the new symbol down multiple times and then finally re-size the screen back to my normal size. How about a setting for each portfolio so that the placement of each new symbol is selectable (Top or Bottom) ????

I do not like the idea that I have to click a tab to see information in my additional folders. I should be able to see the information that I use in the column.
        Other shortcuts could be that I don't need, could be moved into another section, and collapsed.

• JRLJRL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What happen to the arrows that shows whether the stock was up/down for the day? If you are coloring the value red and/or green, I cannot see it due to color blindness. The arrows worked great before.

• Lola MelinskyLola Melinsky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, please fix the column widths! They are waaaaaay too wide. Did you even look at it? And I had saved my customized views for Performance and now they are gone. What a mess!

TOTALLY!!! why can't I see all at one time? Why can't I see totals on the my yahoo page? why is there so much **** space between all the amounts??? tighten it up so I can view more on my screen, waht a piece of **** yahoo has turned into...

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base