How can we improve Yahoo News?

Please, please NO AUTOPLAY VIDEO!!!

When I click on a story I NEVER, EVER want the video to play automatically. Only if specifically clicking on a "Play" icon should the video load. Merely clicking on a story headline should NOT autoplay.

1st ranked
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • yahoo
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    cfhcfh shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Completed  ·  Product SupportAdminProduct Support (Admin, Yahoo) responded  · 

Hi Yahoo News users,

Thanks for your feedback. Following the steps in this Yahoo Help article will allow you to resolve the majority of issues you may encounter when using Yahoo – Turn off autoplay for Yahoo videos: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN25842.html

If you are still having this problem, please continue letting us know how we can do better by posting your suggestions here (https://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/204992).

Best Regards,
    Yahoo Product Support

62 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • yahoo
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ducksducks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fox videos autoplay and they do not show any "menu" options to turn autoplay off (as suggested in your email). They are still playing automatically. I hate it. You have not fixed the problem in my book.

• sean sean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use firefox and have flashblock it prevents the vids from autoplaying.

• jalanjalan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is now a news video that loads in the top right by going to news.yahoo.com as well as some of the Yahoo sports websites. All I wanted to do was look at the headlines. Yahoo thinks everyone has huge bandwidth packages. I don't. That is one reason I go to Yahoo News, because it didn't "used to" have video that plays automatically. Surely people can just click on a triangle if they want to view a video. Give us the option to just read the headlines without wasting our bandwidth or time by trying to pause or mute the video.

• BrettBrett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yahoo!, you are about to lose millions of users of your great old website with your latest move: having stories with sound and video AUTOMATICALLY PLAY, and use up potential customers' bandwidth and frustration! I have used Yahoo.com since 1999 with great success and I must say Autoplay is by far the worst thing you have done to this Website, ever. My question to You is Do you have Automatic Play on Yahoo! sites around the world, or is it just to punish us Americans (which a lot of us live in areas that only have limited bandwidth allotments each month )? Do you REALLY want Yahoo.com to become an old nostalgic website that was awesome in the 90s and early 2000s?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YESSSSS!!!! The best idea ever!!! I almost never stay on an article because of this!!! I don't think Yahoo takes in account that people may have slower data rate plans like me and it takes for ever for this. I'd like to watch a video when I select it, not automatically!! I understand you have to get your Ads in somewhere, but I never even watch them and move on if one even pops up before the video I want to watch comes on.

• s. ps. p commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do your advertisers know how much Auto-Play and animated, in-your-face ads are actually HURTING them? Whenever these start, I simply leave the page, can't take it--and I note the advertiser who did it to me--and you can bet, I'm boycotting them and taking my business elsewhere. Advertising shoved in your face with auto-play, auto-sound, and a never-ending loop must be what happens when you die and go to ****.

• s. ps. p commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, whatever happened to peacefully reading a "news" story? It seems that you Yahoo folks are determined to animate and auto-play every ad, and stick it right in the middle of a news story. It's impossible to read anymore! Imagine trying to read a book, when someone comes over and shakes the book, then waves their hand back and forth across the page, while a wild frat party is going on one foot away--well that's what it's like, trying to read news stories from Yahoo News. Heading over to Google News. I'm beaten and can't take it anymore . . . . .

• ShadozaShadoza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I open more than one article at a time, to hear them all talking because they auto-started, is distracting, annoying, and I am missing the ads that are helping to pay for the space of the articles.

There are also noises/voices coming from some unknown place which prevent me from enjoying the news/ story that I am attempting to review.

Set all movie, GIFs, soundtracks to standby and allow the user to start them when they are ready to listen. Starting early does not cause the user to rush to the noise, it causes them to shut it down and move on to something less distracting.

• JasonJason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree... I open several articles in different tabs at one time while scanning headlines and it's quite annoying to have to stop and switch tabs to simply pause a video I want to watch later. This actually tends to make me want to click on those articles less than I normally would.

work on videos working in emails please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Autoplay is a scam to use up user bandwidth and make money for ISPs. The ISPs, along with the sites that force auto play, should be prosecuted under the RICO act, because this is certainly racketeer influenced and corrupt anti-consumer behavior.

Not only do I have the autoplay, (at times), I now have audio coming from somewhere which I did not prompt. I have closed all videos and still the audio from some political news story is hammering away and I have no idea where the sound is coming from

• George M JacobsGeorge M Jacobs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I could no agree more, I read the mail to read the mail, not watch a video. Get that **** off the page. Make a different area for anyone who likes watching or listing to it. It makes the story load slow and is very annoying to have to take the time to pause the thing before you can read the story.

Here Here! Sick of em blasting away when they pop up. Video's are for those who can't read. If I want a video I can turn on the tv.

Wholeheartedly agreed! (I just turn off speakers!) It's horribly obnoxious to do to guests!

stop with videos that I didn't request Im smart enough to read 2 articles before your 1st video loads

• Trish OTrish O commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just navigated away from an article without reading it (and therefore without seeing most of the ads on the page, Yahoo) because I couldn't pause the autoplay video during the ad. I'm sick of it. I want to be able to read articles.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base