How can we make Fantasy Baseball better?

S. Ohtani

Since S. Ohtani is split into 2 different players, the batter and the pitcher, Ohtani the pitcher should still have DL eligibility! It is known he will not pitch for several more weeks and not being able to keep Ohtani (the pitcher) in the DL spot on rosters is not fair to owners. Anyone who owns him is forced to either drop him or have him take up a roster spot when he is not going to pitch. Please do the right thing and make this correction.

19th ranked
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Cecil Abono shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

42 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At this point since Yahoo chose to keep two Ohtani players why can't Yahoo allow leagues to make up their own mind on the issue? It's an easy fix. At this point add a "Third" Ohtani.

Yahoo adds to the Yahoo Player Universe, Ohtani (Util & SP)

Leagues decide if they want two Ohtani players (one Hitter and the other Pitcher) as Yahoo currently has it or just one Ohtani (that is both a hitter & pitcher).

If a League wants one Ohtani (Util & SP) than the other two Ohtani players are off limits and cannot be placed on a roster.

If a League for whatever reason prefers having two Ohtani players (as is currently) then the third Ohtani (the new combined one) cannot be put on a team.

Let leagues have the power to decide this. It is possible for anyone from Yahoo to address this? I would like to hear from Yahoo one way or another on why or why not they can't address this issue in this fashion.

• Jeremy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ohtani takes up ONE roster spot on the Angels. One contract, one lineup spot, one great addition to baseball. That gets ruined by Yahoo.

It appears Yahoo chose to ignore combining Ohtani. Well there is always next year hoping they will fix their error.

He should be combined into one player like other sites did last year. If you happen to own both versions and he does go on the DL then you have to use two DL spots instead of one.

Let him collect both hitting and pitching stats and the fantasy team needs to decide whether to use him as a hitter or pitcher.

• David Greenfield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree with the previous posters: Ohtani the pitcher should have a DL designation next to his name this year since it is obvious he won't pitch in 2019. I own him in a keeper league and it does not seem fair to owners to have to burn a roster spot all year to keep Ohtani the pitcher. I already have to use a keeper spot for him, so the roster spot too seems unfair.

• todd edelman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know if yahoo has given this any more thought . . . but the "two Ohtani" situation creates problems for me in my dynasty league, and I'm sure it does for many others. I own the pitcher, and had to essentially play a man short for much of the year because he wasn't pitching and wasn't DL'd; the same will happen for all of this year. Whether it would have been more logical not to split the player up is debatable - but at this point, you can't shift to "one Ohtani" without causing havoc in keeper or dynasty leagues in which owners who have invested to get the pitcher or the hitter. In my opinion, the best approach is to DL "pitcher Ohtani" for next year. Last season, yahoo took the position that it would not do that because Ohtani was not on the "real" DL; however, given that the Ohtani who only pitches and does not hit (like the other version who hits but doesn't pitch) is a yahoo-created fiction to begin with, so I'm not sure why it makes any sense to invoke a need to stick to "reality" in resolving this situation.

• Tyler Yasenak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The potential of yahoo combining the two Ohtanis must of been a concern in dynasty and keeper leagues. Our league ageeed to keep the two on the same team. Leagues can make some form of compensation for the team that loses their Ohtani (i.e. compensatory pre-draft pick). Yahoo made a huge mistake here and should fix it now.

• Matt DeLeo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's too late for Yahoo to change Ohtani to one player. There's just no way they could do this an not disrupt those leagues that operate keeper or dynasty formats. It was a terrible decision in the first place but there's no coming back from it now.

With that being said, there needs to be a way for Yahoo to code two-way players incapable of performing one way due to serious injury. A Tommy John exception really because it's basically the only serious injury that would permit a player to bat but not pitch. There HAS to be a way to place this person on the DL in fantasy because there are keeper formats that are going to have to keep in an active spot all year if they want to retain his services in the future.

• Sam Tuttle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am in total agreement with Cecil, Tony, Ray, Todd, etc.

Ohtani should be 1 player (like on all other fantasy baseball platforms), not 2 players. Making him 2 players takes all of the excitement out of it and just creates frustration. Also, the DL issue (i.e. pitcher Ohtani will be unable to play next year, but he will not be on the DL because the real-life, only Ohtani will be hitting and not on the DL) illustrates why having him as two players is problematic for keeper leagues.

This problem will only continue to get worse as more two-way players break into the majors in the future.

Or, if the Yahoo system makes it too hard to have only 1 Ohtani, then there should be a special exception for when one of the Ohtanis is unable to play due to injury (like in 2019).

• Tony Theologes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make shohei ohtani one player. why do I have to draft him twice? that is idiotic, he's one person not two. figure it out.

• Todd Dziwulski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand that the dual threat of S. Ohtani at the start of the season forced all the fantasy sites to rearrange their formating.

I strongly believe that Yahoo should switch to the way that ESPN,CBS, and every other fantasy site has him. He is one person.

If you want to start him as a hitter that day, you cannot start him as a pitcher and vise versa.

I am in a keeper/ dynasty league and to have to waste two picks on a player simply because I play on Yahoo instead of ESPN doesn't make sense.

Thanks.

• Richard Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If NL pitchers don't get credit for at bats, Othani shouldn't either. A pitcher is only a pitcher. NL pitcher have also pinch hit on non pitching days but not given credit for at bats. Its a fair decision.

• austin hails commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not fair for pitcher version to take up a valuable roster spot in keeper leagues when he won’t be eligible to pitch for several weeks due to injuries

• Scott Cranfill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that the pitcher should be given a special case and treated as DL or NA eligible. This situation is especially bad for people in Keeper leagues who may want to hold him for next year.

• Greg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100% agree. The decision Yahoo made makes this an issue they need to resolve. The Ohtani pitcher should be allowed to be DL'ed.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base