How can we make Fantasy Baseball better?

S. Ohtani

Since S. Ohtani is split into 2 different players, the batter and the pitcher, Ohtani the pitcher should still have DL eligibility! It is known he will not pitch for several more weeks and not being able to keep Ohtani (the pitcher) in the DL spot on rosters is not fair to owners. Anyone who owns him is forced to either drop him or have him take up a roster spot when he is not going to pitch. Please do the right thing and make this correction.

24th ranked
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Cecil Abono shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

33 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Tyler Yasenak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The potential of yahoo combining the two Ohtanis must of been a concern in dynasty and keeper leagues. Our league ageeed to keep the two on the same team. Leagues can make some form of compensation for the team that loses their Ohtani (i.e. compensatory pre-draft pick). Yahoo made a huge mistake here and should fix it now.

• Matt DeLeo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's too late for Yahoo to change Ohtani to one player. There's just no way they could do this an not disrupt those leagues that operate keeper or dynasty formats. It was a terrible decision in the first place but there's no coming back from it now.

With that being said, there needs to be a way for Yahoo to code two-way players incapable of performing one way due to serious injury. A Tommy John exception really because it's basically the only serious injury that would permit a player to bat but not pitch. There HAS to be a way to place this person on the DL in fantasy because there are keeper formats that are going to have to keep in an active spot all year if they want to retain his services in the future.

• Sam Tuttle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am in total agreement with Cecil, Tony, Ray, Todd, etc.

Ohtani should be 1 player (like on all other fantasy baseball platforms), not 2 players. Making him 2 players takes all of the excitement out of it and just creates frustration. Also, the DL issue (i.e. pitcher Ohtani will be unable to play next year, but he will not be on the DL because the real-life, only Ohtani will be hitting and not on the DL) illustrates why having him as two players is problematic for keeper leagues.

This problem will only continue to get worse as more two-way players break into the majors in the future.

Or, if the Yahoo system makes it too hard to have only 1 Ohtani, then there should be a special exception for when one of the Ohtanis is unable to play due to injury (like in 2019).

• Tony Theologes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make shohei ohtani one player. why do I have to draft him twice? that is idiotic, he's one person not two. figure it out.

• Todd Dziwulski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand that the dual threat of S. Ohtani at the start of the season forced all the fantasy sites to rearrange their formating.

I strongly believe that Yahoo should switch to the way that ESPN,CBS, and every other fantasy site has him. He is one person.

If you want to start him as a hitter that day, you cannot start him as a pitcher and vise versa.

I am in a keeper/ dynasty league and to have to waste two picks on a player simply because I play on Yahoo instead of ESPN doesn't make sense.

Thanks.

• Richard Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If NL pitchers don't get credit for at bats, Othani shouldn't either. A pitcher is only a pitcher. NL pitcher have also pinch hit on non pitching days but not given credit for at bats. Its a fair decision.

• austin hails commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not fair for pitcher version to take up a valuable roster spot in keeper leagues when he won’t be eligible to pitch for several weeks due to injuries

• Scott Cranfill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that the pitcher should be given a special case and treated as DL or NA eligible. This situation is especially bad for people in Keeper leagues who may want to hold him for next year.

• Greg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100% agree. The decision Yahoo made makes this an issue they need to resolve. The Ohtani pitcher should be allowed to be DL'ed.

• Joe Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand why you can't at least address this situation. You clearly can see that this isn't working. Some problems are hard and don't have easy answers. This one is easy. He is two players in your world and as a pitcher he should be on the DL and when he pitches again you take him off. At least address the situation

• Nando Trindade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since S. Ohtani is split into 2 different players, the batter and the pitcher, Ohtani the pitcher should still have DL eligibility! He will not be reevaluated until 7/19. It is unfair to force owners to hold a roster spot if there's no plans in the near future for him to pitch. Additionally, for keeper leagues I should not have to waste a roster spot if he's eventually declared ineligible for the remainder of the season. I should be able to stash him on the DL.

• Justin Blanch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix this! I have him in dynasty in two leagues and he’s just taking up a roster spot. The current way it’s being done is not logical and there has to be a way to be right by your users.

• Justin Swift commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please yahoo just make him
    1 player. Dynasty league players that need to keep him forever can’t continue using 2 roster spots.

• Andrew Nichols commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This will be my last Yahoo fantasy team. Their arrogance in not correcting a mistake is unfortunate. They made the incorrect (imo) decision in breaking Ohtani into 2 players but that was their startegy. But now not honoring him as 2 players and blaming the “must follow mlb dl list” is juvenile. You didn’t have issue not to follow the mlb or your competitors with the basic logic that one person is one player. Fix your mistake.

• Keith Blum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is the Pitcher Ohtani still not on the DL? He hasn't pitched since 6/6. Please change!

• Joe Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can't have it both ways. If you made the decision to give him a two player distinction then treat it that way. He is still on the DL for pitching. Make this change today please

• Drew Weissman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Shohei Ohtani is treated as two separate players for the purposes of fantasy baseball. As such, the hitter and pitcher versions should be treated separately. Ohtani is not on the DL as he is hitting, but Yahoo itself offers an option: an NA designation for the pitcher. The following is a Yahoo definition of what qualifies as a candidate for the NA designation:

"They're injured for an indefinite amount, but haven't been placed on the official MLB Disabled List."

That accurately describes Ohtani the pitcher. We have no idea how long he will be on the shelf, but he will not return to the DL because he continues to hit. This is a unique circumstance, but Yahoo treats him as two players and must continue to do so in all things. Teams should not be penalized a spot for a potential keeper because Yahoo has considered only half the scenarios for this unique situation.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base