How can we make Fantasy Football better?

Weekly Contracts

The problem I have with FF is it relies heavily on how well you drafted. Get lucky and you win for 16 weeks straight.

In my league we use FAAB which is a lot of fun because it creates a supply and demand market and assigns dollar values to waiver wire players.

Here is my idea. What would be cool is a week-to-week contract system. Teams get a budget just like real life teams. Players get "signed" to a contract on draft day from anywhere from 1 week to the whole season. Initially, this is based on algorithms tracking projected value, draft ranking etc. But as the season progresses it becomes purely market-driven. Maybe I pick up Tom Brady for 3 weeks because that's when I need him and that's the only way I can afford him.

This system creates a lot of turnover and makes fantasy football way more transactional and fun and not just about game day and holding a bunch of keepers till the end.

589th ranked
Vote
Sign in Sign in with Yahoo
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
A shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in Sign in with Yahoo
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jonathan Zegadlo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ive been commishing for 24 years and the way ive handled injuries and bad drafts within the league is simple, limit bench spots. we draft 19 players and get 6 bench spots. theres ALWAYS enough talent left on the wire to put together a good team with whats left. if everyone gets 2 more players, all the starters are gone and anyone who loses a guy or 2 is done for the year. in our league we had a guy lose brady about 10 years back and win the league.

• A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When a player's weekly contract expires, they essentially become a free agent open to a bidding war with anyone in the league.

Dumping an underperforming player to the waivers nullifies their contract and makes them a free agent again.

• A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To clarify one thing that I can't go back and edit:

"Initially, this is based on algorithms tracking projected value, draft ranking etc. "

I mean, the "per-week" value of a player's contract would initially be algorithmically generated. Afterwards, when a contract expired, anyone could make a per-week bid on that player. Similar to the stock market, you could buy low, sell high like futures contracts, etc. Trades could include buyouts.

Feedback and Knowledge Base