Scoring - General feedback and requests
General feedback regarding scoring options and requests for new scoring options and categories.
So for offensive pass interference, we take yardage and points away?
If a RB/WR/TE draw a Defensive Pass interference penalty, award the intended receiver 1 point, and the QB .5
Derek Paret commented
I’ve been wanting this for years for FG made distance, FG missed distance, DEF Pts allowed and DEF Yds allowed. It is no different than rushing, passing, or receiving yds calculation. Please correct this oversight.
Mark Johns commented
self explanatory. commissioner option to reward points for PI yardage
@Am: Don't you mean "Kicking team free kick recovery" instead of "Onside kick recovery"? After all, it should not matter whether the kick is short (your typical onside kick) or deep into the endzone as long as the receiving team never possessed the ball prior to the kicking team gaining possession.
Andrew C commented
Punters are the reason I watch the NFL
daniel hodack commented
Add 60+ yard field goals as a separate scoring category. 60+ is certainly deserving of more points than a 50 yard field goal. why does field goal points stop at 50+ when 60+ yard field goals are possible and quite an elite achievement by a kicker
David Norton commented
I'd really just like to see the ability to customize positional scoring (most specifically because my league just passed TE premium PPR) and I don't want to leave the Yahoo platform just because of this one little rule change.
A "dropped pass" is very different from a lost fumble.
A dropped pass results only in a loss of down.
A lost fumble results in a loss of POSSESSION.
Dale Schreiner commented
I would love to have (many) more options for Kicker scoring. Certainly, fractional points for yards. Each commissioner can choose which options seem logical.
I see ideas for combining Kicker into Defense Special Teams. I am absolutely against that, and for the opposite. I want as much separation as possible of Defense from special teams. I use no special teams categories in my current DEF scoring. I would love to have a separate position for Special Teams. Special teams position could have scoring categories for kicker, punter, and returns.
1. In reality, each touchback is worth zero points (the NFL Rule Book actually lists the touchback in its scoring section along with the touchdown, the field goal, the safety, and tries). Alternatively, I am in favor in one point for each successful rouge, eh?!
2. So ... if the opening drive of the games results in a field goal and there's no more scoring throughout the rest of the game, you want to count that field goal double??? (Hint: NO)
3. Simple solution: Make your league an IDP league and award point(s) for tackles made. Any tackles made by the kicker will be credited as miscellaneous points (those ordinarily earned by players in another position such as an individual defensive player) and will be indicated by an asterisk*.
4. Change "Onside Kick Successful" to "Successful Free Kick Recovery by Kicking Team" and make it a DEF/ST category. If any point(s) are going to be awarded (perhaps half the value of a fumble recovery, but never more than the full value of such), it should make absolutely no difference as to whether the kick is short (such as an onside kick) or deep into the endzone (recovered there by the kicking team for a touchdown, something which can and HAS HAPPENED in the NFL). The only stipulation it that the ball must never have been possessed by the receiving team; otherwise it becomes a fumble recovery by definition.
Positional PPR settings for TE Premium leagues capabilities is a must.
Having the ability to set PPR value based on individual length of reception is another great option.
A designated tiebreaker players should be able to be selected from the bench when rosters are set.
Instead of all that fluff, I'd just prefer Yahoo to get the kicking scoring right. Fractional points Yahoo, fractional points for all FGs above 30 yards. 35 yard FG = 3.5 pts. 47 yard FG = 4.7. 62 yard FG = 6.2.
People have been requesting this now for over 5 years but Yahoo has acted like an a-hole and done nothing. That's just Yahoo being.... well... Yahoo.
**** teams and great weather teams would have a huge advantage over non-**** and bad weather teams, like Cleveland. Touchbacks have become the norm, not the exception in the NFL. Why reward for meeting expectations?
The fact the team, not the kicker, got the ball down to the 1 yard line, then downed the ball 3 times to force the other team to use their time outs before their own kicker makes an extra point length FG to win the game, is not worthy of extra points.
A kicker making a tackle is not encouraged in pro football and should not be rewarded.
On side kicks are typically not recovered by the kicker, but of a member of the kicking team. If you reward the kicker for successful onside kick recoveries, then you should penalize them for unsuccessful recoveries.
1. Each Touchback. Give them a point. Not a huge play, but it's nice not to worry about the return, as always for any team.
2. Game-Winning field goal (doubler?) (if is last score resulting in win).
3. Kicker makes tackle. That could be tough on Yahoo's data collection system, but boy is that a critical play. Kicker probably just saved the team the TD. Worth at least 3-4 points.
4. Onside Kick Successful. Worth at least as much as a fumble recovery, 3-4 points.
Saqib Razvi commented
Love this idea!
Dropped passes are not an official scoring category in the NFL. There would be no statistical reference to use for scoring as a result.
Mike Caputo commented
Most leagues take points away for fumbles. It would be interesting and fun to have a stat category that allows for points to be taken away if a player drops a pass.
James Goode commented
I think this idea makes more sense with Punters than it does with Kickers.
Donnie Darko commented
As a custom scoring option, I think making kickers a part of defense/special teams makes perfect sense since in real life kickers are actually a part of the special teams. They would collect points for field goals made and extra points, but lose points for missed field goals/extra points. An argument against losing points for missed FGs/PATs has been if the kick was blocked it wasn't really the kickers fault, but this contends that argument because in that case, it's the entire special team's fault for letting the blocker through. I'd really like to see this available in custom scoring options and don't want to move my league from Yahoo to attain it.