How can we make Fantasy Football better?

Automatic Substitutions Option for Players Ruled Out Prior to Game Start Time

An option that allows the team manager to auto sub for players ruled 'O' on game day only. Manager would create a 'prioritized sub list' for each position based on players already on the bench.

Example: If on game day a WR is ruled Out, the system would select the next WR on the auto sub list based on the team manager's sub order.

This makes it easier for managers to have contingencies for late scratches where the manager cannot practically access the FF app (driving, at work, running a 5K, especially for managers running a 5K)

The option could be commish-controlled and allow for a variable substitution window ranging from the beginning of game day (12:01am Pacific Time) up to Kickoff.

2nd ranked
Sign in
or sign in with
  • yahoo
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Badr KBadr K shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Brian MorganBrian Morgan shared a merged idea: Why have a bench if you can't substitute for injured players during a game. Once a player goes down it almost always a certain loss.  ·   · 
    FrankFrank shared a merged idea: Automatic Adjustments to "Holes" in Starting Lineup (Empty Roster Spot, IR, BYE)  ·   · 
    G.C.G.C. shared a merged idea: Including ACQuisition Cash option in trading block  ·   · 
    Winston SmithWinston Smith shared a merged idea: Allow teams to switch out their injured players even though their team has already started playing.  ·   · 
    Christopher GillenChristopher Gillen shared a merged idea: DEPTH CHART!!! allow managers to set a DEPTH CHART!!!!  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Why can't I change a player you just announced at the last minute was OUT!!!  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: How about when a player gets hurt in the first half and you have a bench player available you can substitute. Only with injury.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Substitution  ·   · 
    Mike PMike P shared a merged idea: Red Flag Change  ·   · 
    RockTravelerRockTraveler shared a merged idea: Halftime Adjustment  ·   · 
    ScottScott shared a merged idea: Roster Backups - Method to backfill injured player  ·   · 
    Ron GillisRon Gillis shared a merged idea: Automatic Inactive Player substitution  ·   · 

Sign in
    or sign in with
    • yahoo
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's your priority during football season? I can't believe this is ranked 2nd. One thing I could see is Team QB's. It sucks when your QB goes down early in the game (injury) and you get no points for that given week.

• PhilPhil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. You wrote "They pay, you beat them, but the league is not much fun." so you can either kick them out, or enable this proposed feature for the year (not ideal, but it helps), or continue giving some teams an even stronger unfair advantage of facing them.

This feature isn't allowing them to be lazy, it's helping the league be more competitive while they are being lazy. Well, it's also their lack-of-respect for the other league members. Sad, but true, and I see this feature helping with this sadness.

Will some people rely on it too often? Yeah. But, IMHO, I think it has stronger potential to do more good than harm.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Busy week? IT TAKES 2 MINUTES at most. One person hasn't set her lineup all season. Said she is too busy. No one wants these people in their league. They pay, you beat them, but the league is not much fun. But why allow people to be lazy?

If I broke my arms that week, then yes, or if a roommate refused to do their own then yes, I'd prefer they had someone help them before booting them out when the lease was up. Great analogy, thanks.

• Bushy BeaverBushy Beaver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had to laugh when I read the original post. I thought it was a joke (and it probably was) but the pied piper has lots of lemmings following it. Seriously, for those of you who endorse this, i suppose you'd like someone else to wipe your dirty, hairy ***** for you too, right?

The point is not to rely upon it, the point is to keep the league competitive when some of your league mates have a busy week of life and simply can't, or when they semi-quit (which happens, unfortunately), that sort of thing. That is, I am assuming this feature would also take into account bye weeks.

People who rely on it too much probably shouldn't be invited back the next year, but at least the current year is a bit more competitive. Think of those times your opponent gets an easy win by facing "that guy".

Don't enable the option in your league if you do not want it.

• chad isaacsonchad isaacson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

TERRIBLE IDEA...What are you going to do next, build an algorithm to put in waivers and then optimize the starting lineups so that you don't even have to log in.

The fun in fantasy is dealing with these game time issues and being in the loop and ready to react. The manager who puts in the time tracking this stuff should have an advantage.

• raymondraymond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we just end this ******** suggestion right now please? This has to be the dumbest idea ever posted... rife with faulty logic and many crybabies. Those of you pushing this inane suggestion... try another hobby. Just get out... you are an embarrassment to all who seriously enjoy fantasy football.

• Badr KBadr K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Key point that I think many commenters are missing: if you're player was already ruled OUT and you kept him in your lineup, then he stays and you don't get an auto substitution. This is only for players that were healthy or questionable and, at the cutoff, was ruled out, and you didn't get a chance to catch that due to real life situations like being at work, driving, etc. The benefit is an overall more competitive league because there aren't easy wins for your opponent due to something that is out of your control.

Your choice is simple: (a) keep reminding them, or (b) kick them out of the league, or (c) have easy wins for those lucky enough to face them, or (d) automatic substitutions.

However, the idea of automatic substitutions is to provide temporary relief (band-aid) for life's circumstances (deaths, getting married, lost power/Internet, and so on). Someone relying on it all season shouldn't be playing.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have one manager I reminded THREE TIMES to set her lineup and she has 5 players out. Why do we have to help those who don't have time for this?

• JoshJosh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WTF? Why do you even play fantasy football? Why don't you just quit now and get a participation trophy cause you obviously don't care. I can't believe this is ranked so high.

This BS better be an option that we can turn off in our league. If you want to make it an option for teams like this guys where no one really cares that's fine, but we don't play in a league where everyone that doesn't care about their team should be protected and helped.

If you don't care about your league, get a co-manager that does you bum.

• Rory FastballRory Fastball commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like Yahoo to change my roster on Sunday night and replace all my players with that week's top scorers. Thank you!

seriously, I have never seen a more stupid suggestion as that in the original post to this thread. Every bit of ridicule levied is well deserved. Poor poor sensitive Phil. How will he ever cope?

• Steve GengoSteve Gengo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Going with this topic, I would like if Yahoo automatically inserted a player into your lineup if you have a player get knocked out because of injury after the game has started (For example, at least in the 1st half). So if your star runningback gets a concussion in the 1st quarter of the game, your designated sub runningback would take his place and play instead of the injured player for your game that week.

I've seen injured players cost too many games for people, and with the fantasy season being only 12-14 games long, it becomes costly. Another point to add, how dumb does it sound if you have a star running back who is knocked out of the game CONTINUE to play in your fantasy game for all 4 fantasy quarters (even if it isn't real haha), but seriously it still pointless that you can't have another player replace him.

Spooky, some weeks people get caught up in life. Take 10 people, let's assume for a moment that they are friends. I'd rather face a friend with a full lineup than a friend who's (for example) player pulled a hamstring in warmups so won't play. That's really what it comes down to, for me at least.

That said, I think it's a low priority nice-to-have feature request. Allowing team management all year (e.g., keeper management, trades, ...), smack talk, and others, feel more important.

• SpookySpooky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is the dumbest idea ever. Only a ****** would need Yahoo to fill his roster for him. Idiots like Phil below are so incompetent that they need someone else to do the work for them. Phil, stop being such a pu$$y. You are an embarrassment to all fantasy players everywhere.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base