How can we make Fantasy Football better?

Totally customizable playoff formats

There absolutely needs to be the ability to create a totally customized playoff format. Our league went to 14 teams this year and it created several issues with playoffs, due to the limited options that yahoo allows. It shouldn't be very hard to allow commissioners total control for playoff brackets, allowing byes where an odd number of teams enter or continue in the playoffs. Other sites have these options and yahoo needs to keep up. I know we're not the only ones who are a bit salty about this. We want to come back next year, but you need to pick up your game and fix it Yahoo!!!

3rd ranked
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • yahoo
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Aaron HallerAaron Haller shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Add an option for 7 team playoff.  ·   · 
    Cameron PEZETCameron PEZET shared a merged idea: Battle Royal playoffs!  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: CUSTOMIZABLE SETTINGS FOR LARGE LEAGUES (MULTI DIVISION WITH SEPARATE DRAFTS AND PLAER POOLS)  ·   · 
    Jack SteinkeJack Steinke shared a merged idea: 12-team, 3 division (4 teams each) 14-week schedule where division games are play weeks 1-3 and 12-14.  ·   · 
    Dan NoffkeDan Noffke shared a merged idea: Create and option for large leagues to use 2 player universes (one for each division).  ·   · 
    MattMatt shared a merged idea: Division Playoff options  ·   · 
    Matt HollandMatt Holland shared a merged idea: YAHOO! Please allow for a new option to settle ties.  ·   · 
    jimmy pauljimmy paul shared a merged idea: 2 week playoff matchups  ·   · 
    CraigCraig shared a merged idea: Top two from each division make playoffs plus two wildcards  ·   · 
    Chris MChris M shared a merged idea: Please allow owners to custom seed playoff teams.  ·   · 
    Mike MikeMike Mike shared a merged idea: Playoff's  ·   · 
    Kent BakerKent Baker shared a merged idea: more customizable options like double or triple headers and playoff format  ·   · 
    G.C.G.C. shared a merged idea: Yahoo Fantasy Playoffs...  ·   · 
    Tim HaslettTim Haslett shared a merged idea: Fully Customizable Playoffs  ·   · 
    Sean AndersonSean Anderson shared a merged idea: Playoff Option  ·   · 
    John RohrmanJohn Rohrman shared a merged idea: Allow commissioners to adjust playoff matchups  ·   · 
    Michael PlesekMichael Plesek shared a merged idea: Give Commish Ability To Set Playoff Seedings  ·   · 
    JerryJerry shared a merged idea: We need to be able to customize playoffs. . I want to be able to take top 4 from each division on a 12 man league  ·   · 
    JustinJustin shared a merged idea: Make it possible for a commissioner to configure a league to require a balanced number of teams from each division in the playoffs.  ·   · 
    Tony FerriTony Ferri shared a merged idea: Playoff Format  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Format option: rotisserie for regilar season, head to bead for playoffs  ·   · 
    DustinDustin shared a merged idea: Playoff Sandbox mode to address most customization issues  ·   · 
    Kevin DawesKevin Dawes shared a merged idea: 9th year playing Yahoo FF - The one thing I would most like to see changed.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Last Playoff Seed Based on Total Points not head to head record.  ·   · 
    BergBerg shared a merged idea: Ability to created a custom playoff schedule.  ·   · 
    Mr. ManagerMr. Manager shared a merged idea: I had a suggestion for fantasy football that would direct the best competition into the playoffs and not leave managers feeling “ripped off”  ·   · 

208 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • yahoo
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andrew ZanattaAndrew Zanatta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea. Also, how can there not be an option of a 10 team league with 7 making the playoffs and 1st place receiving a bye the first week? Yahoo has been stagnant for too long in their playoff settings.

• Jordan EastonJordan Easton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree with this. I just want the option of taking away bye's in a 6 team playoff! This should be priority, yahoo!

• TCTC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also allow it to change the teams seeding in the playoffs. We make our league two conferences so only 3 teams from each side make it. And after the season was over the commisioner had to change results of past games in order to make it work. ESPN allows the changes so I know it can be done.

• Colin BowenColin Bowen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree. I do a 12 Team League and the top 7 teams make the playoffs with the number one team on a BYE. I had issues because Yahoo did not have such a setting. Playoffs needs to be managed by the Commissioner. PLEASE fix this for next year or I'm going back to CBS Sports

• EricEric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Super let down to see that a two-week championship option was added but was not made available for other rounds of the playoffs. What's the point? A two-week championship doesn't reveal "who's truly the best" if the best teams don't make it there!

• Andrew MagnusAndrew Magnus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our league (12 team, 8 make the playoffs) wants 1st place to be able to pick their opponent, then 2nd gets to pick, etc until all the matchups are lined up.

We call it Pick Em Playoffs and would love to see if as an added option!

• Jesse UnglaubJesse Unglaub commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Couldn't agree with this more. It wouldn't be hard at all to build editable playoff bracket functionality. I had to spend way too much time altering regular season results last week just to get a new team in as our #6 seed due to being the highest scoring team remaining.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could we add an option for 7 team playoff, 1st place for regular season would get a bye in the first round, that would leave three matchups in the first round ( 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5).

• GarrettGarrett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And, I forgot to mention, that this is probably, in my opinion, the most important feature Yahoo needs to add.

There are quite a few others that would really make Yahoo the best, but this one is a big one.

Double header's is the other. Max position players is a third (2 QB max, etc)

• GarrettGarrett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a 20-team league also, and love Yahoo's GUI.

We absolutely hate how it has almost no functionality after what, 10 years of fantasy football coverage? Why would you not expand your functionality? Yahoo would become the defacto fantasy football platform if it could just expand it's rulebase.

-Double headers
        -Better tie-breaker rules (Strength of schedule, victory, etc.)
        -Cap on positions (ie. max 2 QBs, etc.)
        -Dynasty/keeper options (too many to list)
        -Year-round availability
        - and so much more.

Please stop tagging us along with a few minor updates every year, just go for it and implement as much functionality as you can.

If you're worried about the people who aren't as interested in these things, give the commissioners the options to have an "Advanced League" or whatever. Heck, my league would have no qualms paying $50 a year to play! Just get it implemented.

• Astonished by your StupidityAstonished by your Stupidity commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Try RTSports for that. We have a 24 team league. But it is really a pair of separate 12-team leagues that do not play each other until the Championship game. It is not uncommon in that Championship game to have one or two of the same players on the two teams in the Championship. But for the rest of the season it is a pair of 12 team leagues all on a single page so we can all see how the other teams are doing and their transactions. It works really well.

Yahoo will never do this. Yahoo is just too stupid to understand how it works and too arrogantly stubborn to ever listen to any reasonable suggestions to add variety.

• Cameron PEZETCameron PEZET commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We'd like to add a feature where leagues can elect that playoffs teams all go against each other and top top half of points scorers advance each week. So it would look like this in a 12 team format:

Regular Season: head- to- head matchups: the 8 Best head to head records make the playoffs

Week 14: top 4 Point scoring teams of the 8 playoffs teams that week advance to week 15
        Week 15: top 2 scoring teams advance to the championship
        Week 16: traditional head-to- head championship matchup

There would be constant lead changes to advance and it would be the
        true top teams advancing each round.

• ScottScott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Andrew, in a 5 team playoff, the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd seed would all get a bye

• Andrew McKayAndrew McKay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I run a 10 team league and want the option for a 5 team playoff with the 1-seed getting a bye in the first week of playoffs. Obviously, the fully customized playoff format would allow for that, so I would love to see this happen!

• leo picciottoleo picciotto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

12 team league. looking to have 7 playoff spots. ESPN lets you do whatever you want. Get with the program yahoo...

• Matthew DuffyMatthew Duffy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like something were the 5th and 6th teams into the playoffs would be based on points and not on record.

• RyanRyan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes and Yes please! Don't stop there, I am running a very large league with two player pools and it is so much fun. But it's on the ghetto mfl platform. Yahoo needs to add this feature to stay with the times.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey guys -- check this one out.
        A league has six teams with scores of 180, 140, 122.22, 122.22, 121, 104.
        With the third and fourth teams tied, who gets how many victory points?

• Kevin RyanKevin Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love that Yahoo keeps league records, and I like being able to look back at past win loss records of each team. This year, we decided to make our 10 team league's playoff different than years past. Rather than a 6 team playoff of top 6 records, we have the top 5 records this year and the 6th to a wildcard of most points scored off the bottom 5 records in league. Only problem, unless we luck out, i will have to adjust in season W-L records in order to get the 6th wildcard team in the playoff. I don't like that W-L records and/or points scored will be altered. Yahoo, allow customized playoffs. I'll pay $$ for the option, but if it isn't available I might have to consider moving our league.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11

Feedback and Knowledge Base