Hi, please let us know how we can improve Weather further.

Default Location

Fix the default location so that it is not tied to the IP server! Ridiculous to have to reset to my preferred location each time! I could care less where my service provider is and how their weather is. (2nd request)

2nd ranked
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AndyAndy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    CWCW shared a merged idea: Let me choose my default location! I don't want your 'improvements', I want my old home page back!  ·   · 
    DaveDave shared a merged idea: Unbelievable that Yahoo can't supply a weather page!  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Actually, I think that this site sucks. It doesn't detect my physical location at all.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: I could use the ability to change my location and not have it changed for me everytime I leave the State and log onto my account.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: you've stuffed it up. Old page used to let me see my home town Harrington NSW 2427 Australia, new page shows Sydney, bastards  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Default Location DOESN"T Work  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Fix the weather location on my computer. I live in Matawan , not Jackson or Bayville  ·   · 
    BillBill shared a merged idea: Allow the user to select a different default location besides the current IP address.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: No matter how I reset my location,it changes to other places and everything "You" suggest dosen't work...grrrrr!  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Get rid of this stupid "Current locatiion". I HATE it!!!! If you don't correct this soon I am deleting this app all together.  ·   · 
    lloyd van beverslloyd van bevers shared a merged idea: Somehow my location is now Englewood Co., I live in Tx.  ·   · 
    fredfred shared a merged idea: I do not want to see what you think is my current location - which is wrong - how can I just see my locations?  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: This is ridiculous. I want my hometown to appear.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: I don't like the new weather section.My current location is Millsboro,DE not Trenton,NJ. It won"t let me change it. I hate it  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Please let us put in our preferred default location Or be able to override the program to be able to set it  ·   · 
    AlanAlan shared a merged idea: This new Detect/Default location is majorly flawed in using ISP locations.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: My current location is NOT the location that your weather page selects for me as my current location. Hos can I PERMANENTLY change this,  ·   · 
    bobbybobby shared a merged idea: Your weather location Sucks  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: I want to set my own town as my location, it will not accept my town but it used to. The one given for me now is to far away to help me any.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Ridiculous! I have enjoyed the convenience of instantly viewing my weather for years. Now it gives me my ISP location miles away!  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Let me enter my location. My ISP is many miles from me.  ·   · 
    SharonSharon shared a merged idea: I do not have "update my current location" on my settings page  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: As noted by may others  ·   · 
    MarkMark shared a merged idea: When you print a "fix" on how to correct the erroneous default location make sure it works. Your inadequacies are annoying.  ·   · 
    Jennifer LJennifer L shared a merged idea: I am removing yahoo weather.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: This is ridiculous, you are choosing a default current location that is not remotely near me, I want to choose my own. Jesus.  ·   · 
    Randy BaurRandy Baur shared a merged idea: I don't ******* live in Waverly, OH. I live in Athens, OH.  ·   · 
    Jennifer LJennifer L shared a merged idea: "We are pleased to let you know that Yahoo has changed the websites to provide you by default with information about your current location."  ·   · 
    ReedReed shared a merged idea: My location  ·   · 
    mogqwaimogqwai shared a merged idea: Your site constantly guesses wrong about my location. It also is not possible most of the time to change that or have it STAY where I want.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: South Bend is not my weather location nor did I enter that. will not allow me change to correct location  ·   · 
    AndyAndy shared a merged idea: Fix the default location so that it is not tied to the IP server!  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: The old format was MUCH better because it gave good information and was accurate. My location changes all the time now.  ·   · 
    Dennis F TinkerDennis F Tinker shared a merged idea: put my location back to where it's belongs in mi. NOT sunnyvale ca.  ·   · 
    Gathering feedback  ·  Product SupportAdminProduct Support (Admin, Yahoo) responded  · 

Dear Yahoo Weather users,

We are pleased to let you know that Yahoo has changed the websites to provide you by default with information about your current location. As you travel, Yahoo always wants to show you the most relevant content based on where you currently are.

Yahoo receives information about your current location based on/off the IP address provided by the Internet service provider (ISP) you use to connect to the Internet, and if you use our mobile applications, through your usage of our mobile applications. All location data is private – we will not share it with your friends or contacts or post it publicly without your permission. Usage of this information is governed by our Privacy Policy.

Your existing default location has been migrated to My Location on the left navigation bar.

If you don’t think we’ve got your current location correct, please follow up the two steps below to fix the location and also let us know:
    To click “Detect my location” link on the left navigation bar.

Or, on the Location settings page click on “Detect”.

Best Regards,
    Yahoo Product Support

112 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BobBob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Product Support response seems to be directed at users with mobile platforms containing GPS locators. The majority of complaints are apparently from desktop and other fixed location platforms without these locators. Although MyYahoo seem to be best adapted to desktops with large monitors. Yahoo product support has completely ignored those customers regarding this issued. My desktop is in Saratoga, but my ISP must be in Santa Clara. It's an arduous process for me to see Saratoga news from your local news application. From the home page, I click the location icon in any of the apps, type my zip code, click on Saratoga, CA from the drop-down list, click on "See more stories", and repeat the above process again, since the location reverts back to Santa Clara news. After I've looked at news articles, if I switch back to my home page, the location reverts back to Santa Clara again. This whole process is annoying and time consuming. I would like Yahoo to respond to the thousands of comments and suggestions from fixed location users by saying either, "We're going to fix this by ...", or "We're never fixing this. Go to our competitors". I suspect that even mobile users would usually want to see local news and weather from where they live vs. where they are at the time.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree I should not have to keep choosing my location, it does not work to my location when you click on detect, please fix this!

• BobBob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a desktop computer at home in Saratoga, CA. You detect my location as Santa Clara, CA. By clicking the location icon, I can then enter my zip code, and my current location is corrected. This only lasts until refresh my home page or open a new one. Then I see the wrong city again as my current location. This is extremely annoying to me when I need to find local businesses, news and weather. I think it would annoy your advertisers too.

I want to enter my own weather location. Your default location is WRONG!!! It should not be difficult to let users enter the weather location they prefer.

I want to be able to enter the weather location where I am. Is that impossible for you to do????

Every time I look at the weather page I have a different current location. This desk top computer does not change location while I am away. All you need to do is the same as before. Let me choose where I check the weather at and to h--- with the guy running around with a phone in his ear. If you got the current location correct it would not be so bad, but you are between 50-100 miles off.

We are in the mountains... Yahoo weather thinks we are in the desert. There is often a 30 degree difference in temperature and while Phoenicians are golfing, we are trudging through snow. Yahoo's other 'preferred location' Yuma is 323 miles away but we do, occasionally get Sedona with an elevation of 4500 feet that clashes significantly with our 7000 ft elevation. The weather app worked so well before the 'new and improved' version.

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just came back to see if this location thing was fixed yet...NOPE. Back to my.msn and protopage where the new My Yahoo has caused me to set up new home pages.

You apparently have done nothing to fix the underlying comment, which is that the default location for weather is not anywhere near where I live, and there is no way to fix it. You only state to "detect my current location", but that option fails to work. The web-page seems to go into an infinite loop while trying to determine my current location, so that fix does not do anything at all.

I still hate the idea that a location near the coast and 40 miles away from me is the default weather location of me. My temperatures are usually several degrees different from the temperature at the coast, and yet this imposter location takes the most prominent position on the weather part of the page. My preferred location floats around on the page, and sometimes is not even visible, which is also a pet peeve about your new redesigned weather page.

• RonRon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Your solution returns the same "wrong" location.
        It really just ask me to repeat the same auto-location-detect that gave me the wrong location the first time. I believe some people consider doing the same thing over-and-over again and expecting a different result insanity.

• Jeffrey WolfJeffrey Wolf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No Change that I can see. Make more choices for weather. I know what I want and it isn't what you are offering. I switched to another home page. Some times it's better to let users have a choice of what they want.

• Robert FryRobert Fry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not a response. It is simply a boilerplate reiteration of what you did. We know what you did and WE ARE NOT PLEASED. PLEASE allow us to turn off "current location". Last week, it said I was in Charlotte. I was in Phoenix. You cannot determine location from an IP address.

• LarryLarry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Yahoo, we are pleased to let you know that your answer sucks. We don't want our default location to change... ever... even when we travel. Please allow us to turn this feature off. Thank you.

1. my company has proxy so all ip address set to one location, I'm not at that location.
        2. I need to lock my location, I can unlock it when I travel, or have auto change ie if I have IP ***.***.***. then set my location to my saved choice.

• KK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yahoo thinks I'm in Southern California (I wish) when I boot up maps, and thinks I'm in Kansas City when I want to buy something. Both are wrong, I'm in East Central Missouri.

PS I just signed back in to Excite which I have not used in over 6 years since I started using Yahoo. Guess what...my weather is still set to my hometown.

adios Yahoo

I have a better idea....you have my email address since you sent me this BS email. Why don't you just send me an email when you get it fixed and I will find another provider who can get it right now. If I like their product I probably won't go back to Yahoo even if you get it right

Obviously Yahoo does not care how many users it loses. This email only reinforces this...it says nothing. Every morning I still turn on my computer which has My Yahoo as the home page and I get New York news (I don't live there) Then I go to My Locations and hit detect and I get Schenectady (I don't live there either). I have to manually select my home town from my favorites. And of course when I click on a news link and return to My Yahoo I am back in New York again. This feature may be great for mobile users who can be located via GPS or tower location, but my desktop doesn't travel very far. However since my home location is always incorrect I have to assume if traveling my current location would be incorrect also.
        My smart phone (Verizon) uses this location technology and it is always correct. My Yahoo is always wrong! (The previous version of My Yahoo was always correct).
        It is obvious that the technology Yahoo id using to detect location has many flaws.
        I go back to a previous statement I made....give us a checkbox in our location list where we can opt out of automatically finding our current location and select the news / weather location we want. AMEN

• R A RR A R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work in Oregon, and my company technology center is in Minnesota, so Yahoo! Weather detects that I am in MN. I could care less about the weather in MN!!! Why not just give the option to not show the IP address' assumed location?!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base