Hi, please let us know how we can improve Weather further.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let us set our weather location

Many people have servers at locations that are different from where they are actually located. Let us set our location. If we want to set to default, fine. But I don't need the weather in New Jersey or California where I am sitting in Boston. This is not an update. This is a pain in my bottom.

10th ranked
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Gathering feedback  ·  Product SupportAdminProduct Support (Admin, Yahoo) responded  · 

Dear Yahoo Weather users,

We are pleased to let you know that Yahoo has changed the websites to provide you by default with information about your current location. As you travel, Yahoo always wants to show you the most relevant content based on where you currently are.

Yahoo receives information about your current location based on/off the IP address provided by the Internet service provider (ISP) you use to connect to the Internet, and if you use our mobile applications, through your usage of our mobile applications. All location data is private – we will not share it with your friends or contacts or post it publicly without your permission. Usage of this information is governed by our Privacy Policy.

Your existing default location has been migrated to My Location on the left navigation bar.

If you don’t think we’ve got your current location correct, please follow up the two steps below to fix the location and also let us know:
    To click “Detect my location” link on the left navigation bar.

Or, on the Location settings page click on “Detect”.

Best Regards,
    Yahoo Product Support

26 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rene J HueppiRene J Hueppi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We live W 118º 06' 55' N 50º 51' 10", but Yahoo weather locates us at Greenslide, 5 former 5 farms setting which is under water of the Upper Arrow Lake Reservoir since 1967 and the name for a avalanche which come down every March for sure. At booking.com they needed 10 months to correct it!!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why do you keep giving the same advice and same answers that do not work??? Is this how you get your kicks???

click on the "detect my location"or clicking on "detect" does not work....What else????

• LarryLarry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Yahoo, we are pleased to let you know that your answer sucks. We don't want our default location to change... ever... even when we travel. Please allow us to turn this feature off. Thank you.

• AnwennAnwenn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not good enough.

My desktop computer never moves.. yet my 'detected location based on my IP address ranges from Medford,Oregon to Corvallis, based on whichever IP addresses my ISP assigns me on a given day.

The weather in Oregon is hardly homogenous, and it can be snowing inSpringfield while it's dry and sunny in Pendleton, it can be a cool summer's rain in Medford while it's dry and a heatwave in Eugene.

This function may be great for users of mobile devices, but users of no-mobile devices need a way to turn this function off, and specify their preferred location.

• Joe KoehlerJoe Koehler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yet again, your response shows you don't understand the complaints. Please get a supervisor on this, or at least someone who understands English and knows what a proxy server is. Your location-detection feature fails to account for IP addresses that get routed through proxy servers. LET US CHOOSE OUR LOCATION! We know where we are; you do not!

Does not work for me. I get a message that says "browser is unable to detect my location" I can set my location using Zip code, and can get that as my "home" location. However on restarting the computer the default goes back to some generic location!! In my case "Oregon".
        I find it interesting that the service works well on my mobile phone which correctly detects my location.

This is the problem, not a solution. I am nowhere near my usp provider and I want local information, not in the location yahoo chooses by default! If anybody at yahoo can read English, they should be able to understand this!

You don't get it! My server isn't where I am at so I don't want yahoo to detect my location: I want to be able to SET my location and have it just use that! READ WHAT WE WROTE! So, thanks for taking MONTHS to reply, then not even fix what is going on. Typical yahoo.

Please let me know how to move the current location. It never shows my current location and I am not interested in the weather at the ISP. For now, I deleted the weather tab on my yahoo. AccuWeather is much better.

Your detect/default system of location really sucks. It tells me I am located in Soldotna, Alaska. Actually, I live in Anchorage, Alaska, as I have for the last forty odd years. I have probably spent less than an hour passing through Soldotna in those many years...and have no particular desire to visit there again in this lifetime. However, I can't delete that location because you have left me no option do so. If I try to add my home in Anchorage to the locations, it will not allow me to keep it longer than a heartbeat. If I add it, there is an option to remove it, but the worthless Soldotna location only has a "Detect" option. Detect be damned. How about if I tell your site what weather location I want to use as a default instead of your computer trying force feed location I wouldn't visit on a bet and **** sure would not give a rat's *** about. Not the least interested in Soldotna, except in how to get it completely removed from my locations. Very much interested in Anchorage weather, but have no way to make it my default location. Fortunately, there are other sources of weather information that are a whole **** of a lot more user friendly.

• JoniJoni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How MANY people complaining about this is it going to take for Yahoo to fix this??? I'm becoming more and more disappointed with Yahoo's services - common sense tells us that changes are for the enhancement of a site. its capabilities, safety, navigation, rich experience, user friendliness, etc. But time and time again we've seen how changes ruin the user experience, frustrating them and causing massive complaints which seem to fall on deaf ears by the company and its developers. Yahoo has always been last to update their products so one would think they would've learned from other companies mistakes (e.g. Google, YouTube, Facebook) who did it before them.

Its now been over 3 months of complaints about the weather page issues and STILL no meaningful response from Yahoo. How is it possible that with all its employees they cannot find ANYONE to fix this issue which btw is really just some code changes that I'm sure at least ONE of their developers know.

The new email format changes made last year are HORRIBLE. I don't understand what possessed yahoo to make it so flashy, take away the pages format so that each time you need to find a specific email you have to scroll down through hundreds of them (if you have that many and I do) and if its in the bottom 6 or 7 you can't even get to it because the flash makes the bottom of the page bounce up again and again. It takes constant pushing the button down over/over before it stops bouncing so you can then click on the email. Even if that's not one of the issues there are obvious ethical standards thrown out the window in favor of using this ****** format. Yahoo MUST know that not everyone has the RAM or CPU to handle it.

• Jim HughesJim Hughes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yahoo says it's "gathering feedback." Here's your feedback: fix the darn thing. The location of my ISP's server is NOT MY LOCATION. How hard is that to understand?

DITTO DITTO DITTO. STUPID IDEA, PLEASE FIX SO I CAN HAVE MY OWN SETTINGS THE WAY I WANT THEM, NOT YOUR WAY.

• Deborah FerreraDeborah Ferrera commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to see my location not a near by city. I can not change the default. Please give us back the old layout....P:LEASE>>>>>>>>>>>

wish I could change my location, but Yahoo insists that I am hundred miles from my apartment, been there for the last fifteen years, yet none of the 'fixs' will open for me.

• P. DeforgeP. Deforge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New fix, new problems. Please read all the feedback and employ someone who can correct these ongoing messes.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base