Hi, please let us know how we can improve Groups.

Is there such a thing as tech support at Yahoo anymore?

Can't post photos. Groups take forever to load up when clicked on. Attachments keep having "errors". If you don't want the groups Yahoo why don't you just take them down. This is nothing but **** now.

64th ranked
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Darius Wooten shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Pam Constable commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yahoo ..... expletives deleted !!!!
    Just kill the whole deal and dont pretend you have any intention to fix anything

• Tom Currie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To answer the original poster's question, NO there is no such thing as tech support at Yahoo any more. Certainly not for any of the supposedly "free" Yahoo products, like basic email and groups.

Many many years ago Yahoo has a product called "clubs" which was do badly designed that Yahoo couldn't successfully give it away, so Yahoo bought out the company eGroups and renamed their product Yahoo!Groups. (Although all the program code and even the Groups email headers still showed eGroups).

Because Yahoo bought out eGroups entirely, they took over a large user base of people who were already using the highly successful eGroups. Yahoo also had all the employees of eGroups, including both an excellent programming team and an excellent tech support team. These teams were also responsible for integrating Yahoo's totally failed "Clubs" into the new "Yahoo!Groups" format.

About a year or so after Yahoo bought out eGroups, Yahoo fired most of the former eGroups employees and transferred the few that they kept. This eliminated everyone who actually knew how Groups was programmed and everyone who knew anything about providing tech support for Groups.

For a while, Yahoo pretended to provide tech support for Groups using their regular Tech Support team (and tech support actually worked if the problem was user error and was simple enough that it didn't require actually knowing anything about Groups).

In the following years, Yahoo gradually eliminated tech support for all its supposedly "free" products.

Now the users ARE the "tech support" -- some might describe this as the inmates running the asylum, but it's actually worse than that.

Collectively we can sometimes help each other. If the problem is a simple user error, the "Community" can often figure out the answer. But for more complex problems or ANY problem where Yahoo has simply introduced a programming error, there is just nothing that the "Community" can do. We don't have access to fix Yahoo's stupid mistakes.

Yahoo has a handful of full-time programmers, but most products use program code written by outside teams contracted for specific projects. There is no commonality and pitifully little documentation. The result is that every time someone at Yahoo management gets a wild idea to "improve" some product, they bring in a team to totally rewrite the code with little or no consideration of how the various products interact (and absolutely no consideration of what the users want -- take the "neo" debacle as one recent example).

The bottom line is that every time Yahoo's programmers try to "maintain" the programming code or try to "fix a bug" they are almost certain to ***** up something else either in that product or in some other product. And Yahoo has absolutely no one assigned to provide any support for any of the users of the supposedly "free" services.

• Ian Richardson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My Yahoo Group has stopped working. None of my postings today are going through. A colleague has also done a test and her messages also fail. Why?

• Ian Richardson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My Yahoo Group has stopped working. None of my postings today are going through. A colleague has also done a test and her messages also fail. Why?

• jack frost commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yahoo is going out of business, there is no one in tech support and even if there were, they would not know how to fix anything. Yahoo sucks

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, Yahoo have not tried to resolve the issue regarding inability to post photos on the Groups and this is still not sorted on 09/11/17. As the whole purpose of my group is regular photo uploads this needs sorting or I will have to move my group elsewhere. Yahoo, HELP!!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have observed that since June 2017 every body is complaining about the issue of not opening of images and attachments on Yahoogroups but It seems that Yahoo have no expertise to resolve this which is arising day by day since last 5 months. I am really surprised what happened to Yahoo management and experts why they are sleeping for months

Feedback and Knowledge Base