Hi, please let us know how we can improve Groups further.

Major FAIL! New format doesn't allow moderator to approve spam messages

The new format doesn't have a button to allow me to approve messages that come in labeled "spam." Please revert to the old format! As a moderator I need to be able to approve/disapprove messages. Also, our cover photo is GONE. All my groups cover photos are GONE! This new format was obviously not ready for public use! Major FAIL!

13th ranked
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    MaryMary shared a merged idea: Spam - can't find where to approve it  ·   · 
    Completed  ·  Product SupportAdminProduct Support (Admin, Yahoo) responded  · 

As part of the changes we’ve made over the past months, the ability to approve messages categorized as SPAM. WE are working on the ability to move such messages to the ‘pending messages’ list. And Group homepage Photo is back.

Yahoo Groups Product Team

Hi,

Thank you for reporting this issue. We currently have an engineering ticket open for this issue and would like you add you and the 53 other people reporting this problem to that ticket.

If you receive this email and are still seeing this issue, please post about the problem here:

http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/index;_ylt=Am7gtU4DnwGKmx_L8UXxTIsP.Bd.;_ylv=3?sid=396546285

The more information you provide, the more our support staff will be able to assist!

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ShalFShalF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A related failing: there is nothing in the group management Control Panel to turn the spam filter on or off.

Oh, and the pending messages list needs the "Delete as spam" option -- Just as there needs a way to Accept messages from the Spam? list which were not actually spam, there should be a way to train the spam filter when spam isn't detected and lands in the Pending list.

It is pretty clear that the Neo implementers had no idea what the Spam? folder was for. It is not a parallel to the Conversations and Messages, it does not belong as another tab there.

Instead, it is a functional equivalent to the Pending Messages list, and should be in the User Interface together with other items for approval. It needs to have all the same options as the pending messages: Accept, Edit, and Delete; and the Edit function needs to have the same actions: Abandon, Save, Post, and Return to sender.

• alphaliraryalphalirary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same for being able to mass delete spam which no longer shows on the left box where messages appears. You want us to delete spam and unwanted pended messages one at a time?

• Brian KBrian K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At least you have a group to have "spam" messages that aren't. My group just disappeared.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not only can we not approve a message marked as spam, we also need to be able to edit it before approval. My preference would be simply to be able to mark it as not spam and move it to the pending queue where it could be handled as any other pending - edit, reject, approve. And the opposite is also true - we cannot mark a spam message as spam if the filter doesn't catch it. To be completely honest, I would prefer NOT to have a spam filter on at all and allow me as moderator to mark spam and delete it myself.

Glad to see that this headache has already been noticed by others. I am able to sort of work around this by opening the attached .eml in Thunderbird and *forwarding* it to the list, with a brief explanation. Clunky, but better than nothing.

• AnnaAnna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only way I can "approve" messages caught in spam is to use reply, add a comment like "This is Joe Bloggs's post, wrongly caught in the spam filter" and then it appears on the list as coming from the listowner.

Daft. Lets just have a simple yes/no button

• AsaAsa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problem. The "reject" and "approve" buttons that the help topic tells me to use are not on the screen.

• Andy SealesAndy Seales commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also in the NEO format.If I were to post a message and made typos,I can't delete the message.In the old format I could delete my own message and start over.NEO is more than a MAJOR FAILURE, its like a bad ugly dream.Its like the pictures from the surface of the moon.I dread coming to Yahoo groups with a cold lifeless interface on my monitor.
        Restore the groups today and watch your stocks soar.

• StarryStarry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is driving me bonkers at the moment. Yahoo is, ironically, labelling posts from one of my more problematic members as spam, which amuses me on the one hand while annoying the **** out of me that I can't approve her messages. It's nuts.

• HalHal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment, but I have the opposite problem. The new format doesn't let me purge all pending messages at one, even when every one of them is spam. 98% of messages waiting my approval are spam, I need the condensed list and the purge options back to get rid of these in one swoop after reviewing the titles or senders. The new way (all messages expanded) runs all the messages together so I can't tell where one ends and the next one begins, and a large portion of many messages are blocked images, complicating which message they belong with. There's no way I'm going to be deleting spam one message at a time when I get up to 20/day. This change is a major human factors error. Plus your spam blocker here is much less effective than the one you supply with individual email accounts, which is excellent.

• DeboraDebora commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix this. The information disseminated by our members is important and timely. The fact that spam/pending messages cannot be approved is not beneficial to our membership.

• VeraVera commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problem. Before in Neo I could see at least buttons for approving or deleting the suggested spam messages, although they didn't work when I clicked. Now even the buttons have disappeared. It's really annoying and creates major communication problems with the group members!

The fact that Spam is listed under Conversations, as if it would be shown to members (it isn't) tells you that the implementation team for Neo doesn't understand what it is for.

The "Spam?" folder is a direct mirror of the "Pending" folder. It should have the same functionality for editing, approving, deleting or rejecting (return to sender) a message. Just as it does in the classic interface.

• DeboraDebora commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. This is very frustrating. This problem needs to be fixed ASAP. There are several messages that I would like to approve but haven't been able to do so because this problem isn't fixed.

We have also been having major problems with the new format for yahoo. Please look at the problems to see if there is a way to fix things to get this up and running againk as it was before would be the best.

Feedback and Knowledge Base