Hi, please let us know how we can improve Groups further.

Hashed addresses

The online addresses for groups are suddenly not findable. I noticed this first on a UK group and now in many others.

http:///neo/groups/yahoo_group_of_groups/conversations/message

instead of:
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/yahoo_group_of_groups/conversations/messages

The Neo is misplaced and you get an error that the address does not exist. You also get 3 slashes instead of 2.

30th ranked
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    cshenkcshenk shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • CarolCarol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok, 2nd day of no issues but it's interesting they fixed it with no comment that it even existed.

Yes, seems they found it. I'll wait to see if others say same.

• UK UserUK User commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Carol, it may have been fixed overnight. Things seem better on my browser today, 31st December.

Correct UK User. Also it makes no difference if the member is a USA or non-USA site. I have one uk.groups site (ModerationPlugin) that I use for Freecycle support (most in the UK are freegle but it's essentially the same). The rest are all USA including 4 I own.

Yesterday if I clicked about for a bit one or another link would suddenly work. Today, not getting that. I have to do a reply via web post to access any of them.

What I did was send the link to this trouble call widely for any affected to vote on it.

• UK UserUK User commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem is widespread. It is not browser dependent, so no point uninstalling IE11, or whatever. Its affecting all three browsers on my machines.

It is tied to the Neo roll-out to non US groups. So, depending on the main URL to the Yahoo service will determine which bits of the Yahoo interface have the broken links.

If the URL is http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/all/list then, the groups which were Neo'd months ago will work, but those done recently (the less heavily used UK groups) have the nonsense broken link.

Conversely, if the URL is http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/all/list then, the groups which were Neo'd months ago are broken, but those which changed recently have working links.

Clearly someone at Yahoo doesn't test their code for functionality before release. Putting out clearly broken code and then not fixing it suggests they'd like the users to leave (which they've been doing in droves since the Neo nonsense started).

Clearing IE11 cache did not fix it. Updating browser did not fix it. It's now total on any group, country of origin not related. People set to No Email are now locked out. People set to Special Notices have to have the last one to access the group at all.

Members of our groups are getting very tired of having to use a work around to access the groups and this one is worst of all since yahoo itself is yielding a non-URL to its OWN groups.

We have gone out with a special notice to help users now tied into this. Upgrade to IE11 was a total fail it turned out.

Whoever thought http:///neo/ would resolve to anything, has a learning curve issue on how URL's work.

This happens when you use the left panel to work through groups to see if there are messages you want to reply to online. Many of us use Special Notices only if e have a lot of groups we read. Unless you have an old one stored, you can not reach those groups at all now.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such!!! a pain! Sure makes YAHOO look bad with all these ongoing problems...please, just put things back as they were orginially and stop trying to "improve"....

• FCownerFCowner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also noticed this in the UK group I belong to a day or two ago. Now happening on all groups I belong to and own/moderate. Is there anyone at Yahoo who can fix this stuff??? Still can't delete photos, albums, etc. No search in activity log.......etc., etc., etc. Or anyone that actually cares?

• SusanSusan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix this stuff. It is beginning to be very aggravating.

Correction, I thought it fixed. Now getting it again with IE11. I just cleared history and will see.

Hi folks, there were multiple threads on this one already (including one in Spanish that I can read well enough to tell is the same).

Was same here. I already have a thread started on it. I just upgraded to IE11 and seem to be in but not being compatible with IE10 (11 hasn't been pushed yet or I would not have had to manually upgrade is a bit of an issue. Most non-geeks would not even think to search for that.

Instead, you are getting a non-existing URL from Yahoo that starts with ///neo/ (note 3 slashes then Neo which in front of the URL leads no place.

I am cox.net, mid-east USA.

Now how silly can it be to have Yahoo itself redirect it's own customers to a non-existing URL for their *own* product? LOL!

We now see across the threads that it also affects Chrome users and there may be others. This is a push to some areas but not all. I see multiple uk. groups complaining as of this morning.

All we know right now is you can get around it by using the 'reply to web' feature off a digest or individual message and that I seem the only one who has upgraded to IE11 and gotten around it.

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm getting a lot of bewildered users complaining about this mistake. David

Feedback and Knowledge Base