Hi, please let us know how we can improve Groups further.

Please give us back a way to export a list of members to Excel

Prior to the Yahoo Groups "upgrade", we had an ability to export the list of members to Excel. The supposed upgrade has removed that feature. Yahoo did not even bother to update the help system which still provides instructions for the old design.

The export to excel is an essential feature for the restricted group that I moderate. Once a year, I have to compare all of the Yahoo Group members to the membership rolls for our organization. This was relatively easy to do with an exported member list. Now, with the "upgrade", I am forced to either do this manually or to tediously build a Yahoo Group spreadsheet through cut and paste from the web page.

It makes no sense to me that you removed the feature since I can still see all the same information on a web page, and cut and paste that page to share the information with others. I see no privacy gains from deleting this change, only extra hassle for moderators.

I don't want to move my group off Yahoo because of the hassle involved. However, your changes are making the hassles of staying much greater. For example, Nextdoor.com is an interesting new service that is actually designed for neighborhood groups like mine.

21st ranked
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    John BogaskyJohn Bogasky shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • FCFC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yahoo, please, please, please restore the ability to download/export ALL members. I have several groups of more than 1000 members, so your current limit is absolutely useless!!! The only way to get a "complete" list, by going through the activity log or the notifications messages, is too labor intensive, would take too long, and probably would result in an incomplete list anyway. PLEASE FIX THIS!

• xyxy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What we can export now is just the first 1000 members in alphabetical order. It's useless to large groups. Please restore ability to export all.

• ociepkaociepka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the manage members page put a checkmark next to any one member and the "Actions" button will become active and you can open a drop box and then select "Export"

• Catherine RiceCatherine Rice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can we export 1000? I don't see any export members tabs/buttons under my Manage members features. Not anywhere.

• Catherine RiceCatherine Rice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also lost the ability to download a list of my members due to the upgrade. There are instructions in help, telling you to click ALL MEMBERS then export, but there is no ALL Members button to click on under my Manage my members page anywhere. It used to be so easy to just click the download members tab on the old system here.
        Don't know why they took this away.

• ociepkaociepka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the manage members page put a checkmark next to any one member and the "Actions" button will become active and you can open a drop box and then select "Export"

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a reply from admin on 2/10 saying we can still export up to 1000. How? The export button has disappeared with the new version. My situation is very similar to Mr. Bogaskys, It's essential for me to compare the groups membership details with my offline members database via excel.

• Judy FaulknerJudy Faulkner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, I am currently doing a screen shot to get the other pages. A lot of extra work that isn't necessary.

Thanks,
        Judy F.
        SW Florida - USA

• KellyKelly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Probably very helpful to some groups. If restriction is the reason, 1000 makes no sense. Should be unlimited.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I used to export frequently to find where my list was out of sync. I was then able to either completely remove the members that hadn't fully removed, or contact the members that hadn't fully joined and sort them out. Now I would have to contact customer care, taking your time and attention. Seems a waste. If you are worried about members doing it and abusing this feature, make it available to mods/owners only. My membership list is not visible to members so it is not a concern.

• Jeri DanskyJeri Dansky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The 1,000 seems like a totally arbitrary limit. If we can export 1,000, why not let us export all? (I have no particular need to do this for my group, but I understand that other moderators do have this need.)

• Reverend GrandmaReverend Grandma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's true that some members may abuse the ability to export all member addresses, but the vast majority would not. And we should not be unable to do our 'jobs' just because some members don't play by the rules.

• Reverend GrandmaReverend Grandma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What good does it do to be able to export 1000 addresses if there are 3500 members? Either let us export all of them so we can do our membership checking or don't let us export any of them. What is the REASON for limiting exports to 1000 members? There doesn't seem to be any reason that excludes letting us export all of them.

• Candy RickCandy Rick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Often I find that exporting member's names and addresses is done as a way to gain information only to invite those members to another group. I question the validity of exporting member's names and email addresses at any time. If I were to find out that that has been done, my moderators would be banned from my group in a heartbeat. As a group owner of 3 very successful groups and moderator on several others, I would be very cautious about allowing any of my moderators this capability. Besides that, when looking at Yahoo group rules and regulations, exporting and using that information could be considered a breech of privacy and spam email.

• DianneDianne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ditto this part with exclamations added:The export to excel is an essential feature for the restricted group that I moderate. Four times a year, I have to compare all of the Yahoo Group members to the membership rolls for our organization. This was relatively easy to do with an exported member list. Now, with the "upgrade", I am forced to either do this manually or to tediously build a Yahoo Group spreadsheet through cut and paste from the web page!!!!!

Feedback and Knowledge Base