Hi, please let us know how we can improve Groups further.

Users have quit participating because they can't understand your new format? What can I do?

Users have quit participating because they can't understand your new format? What can I do? Frankly, older members of groups can't understand how to use the new format. Frankly, I have baffled too. What can be done before I loose the majority of the group populations of the two groups I manage. You new format is not user friendly for those over 50, or for visually impaired users.

9th ranked
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark CobbeldickMark Cobbeldick shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

46 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tom ThomasTom Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Neo sucks nearly as much as Yahoo's development and customer "service" teams. They're going out of their way to prevent people from getting any information regarding this disaster. It's starting to look like the fools behind Neo are working overtime to erase all evidence of their epic failure, in a desperate move to keep jobs they're clearly unqualified for.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although yahoo finally accepted to try to make some improvements, things are still FAR WORSE than with the classic format!
        users quit the groups and stop participating !
        They have a hard time following threads, as the former messages dont appear right away on the screen.
        Before we could delete the part of the message we didnt care for, just leaving the part we wanted to respond to.
        Changing the title of a message or seeing it full screen requires expert knowledge of the hidden functions and is no longer intuitive.
        letters in the messages are small and light grey, many people can hardly read them, reading is very uncomfortable.
        Databases were broken for 5 months, and even now we cannot update them!
        Updates dont show
        LINKS were unaccessible and now I have to re enter every single link description because the encoding with French characters is still showing up garbage and circles and diamonds !
        Yahoo hasnt even been able to fix this ****.e.d encoding correctly !
        Swedish and French subscribers still have reported many problems
        And we are March 28th, 6 months after the first complaints...

Ah yahoo has erased the bulk of old complaints they never got to respond to.
        Now is "looks" like there are only few complaints while there were hundrends and even thousands.
        One complaint had 58.000 votes but it got erased by yahoo!
        Censorship and denial, with minor changes bringing up new complications, is what NEO has brought us, users around the world!

Deborah from Paris, France

I agree with Mark 100%. Go back to the original groups page . . this one is useless.

• GeorgetteGeorgette commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, please, please go back to the old version of yahoo. The new one is just impossible to understand. I've had problems with people, because the new format is incomprehesible and some times I don't answer or answer the wrong person, etc. Why did you change?

• BillBill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A good thing was ruined when neo was implemented and it makes no sense that you at Yahoo are insisting on keeping it bad. Did you just want to get rid of groups and this is the method of choice?

• CherylCheryl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I even hate going on my own group that I am an owner of, because it's so frustrating to deal with the site in Neo. If I wasn't a co-owner I'd have hit that Delete Group button a long time ago. Groups are supposed to be fun, not frustrating! Many are looking elsewhere for groups to join. You really messed up a good thing.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When they first began their beta version, several members in my group kept complaining and I was still seeing the old version, so I couldn't even help them. I tried contacting yahoo for help and that made so much extra work for me. They wanted everything in detail including screen shots and more - when I couldn't even see the same thing as the members with the beta version.

I'd love to switch to something different but don't know of any other options that include a file, database & calendar option for everyone to access as a private group. Yahoo used to be great, but it has quickly gone downhill and their customer service is very frustrating to deal with.

Any ideas?

• Michael MorrisseyMichael Morrissey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not Yahoo's fault? The fault of some sub-contractor? Baloney! Yahoo hired the sub-contractor (if there was one) and Yahoo is responsible for making sure they hire someone competent and for checking out their work before they accept it. This disaster is 100 percent Yahoo's fault. And the result is sad. In the three groups I belong to, message traffic and other participation is down more than 80% (eighty percent!!!) since Neo was inflicted on us. I can only hope that the drastically lower number of users will soon be reflected by a drastic reduction in Yahoo's advertising revenues.

• Bob JohnsonBob Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unfortunately the NEO problem seems to be of the very same nature that I've seen happening on several other social websites I belong to.

The old format…..well, we simply can't have things which are old, now can we ?

So some outsider claiming to be an expert comes along with promises of a "new and improved" look, never runs a beta, the new format it turns out to be a bug-riddled and non-user-friendly disaster, whoever it was who was hired to make the switchover fiddles with things for a bit before realizing they are in over their heads, they throw up their hands in despair, quit responding to messages from the members, then they depart for good ( they are fired by Yahoo?) leaving the site in ruins.

If I were to guess, I'd say that this is not Yahoo's fault, but rather the fault of some subcontractor they hired, who claimed to know what they were doing, and then took a powder, leaving Yahoo to try and clean up the mess.

And since "making a mistake" is never part of anyone's job description, we're stuck with what Yahoo ended up with, and will never see the old format again.

Really a bummer, as like many of you, I'm a member of some groups that date back to the late 1990's and which contain material and history that's still valuable today.

Plus any of you who are running Macs know that you're in double trouble if you are using Safari.

In addition, I would not count on Yahoo responding to anything we write here. This thread has been running for over a month, and how many responses have we seen from them ?

It's a pretty sorry situation alright, and seems to follow a pattern we're seeing on other parts of the web as well.

:-(

I've been in Yahoo groups since 2001. And it doesn't matter that I'm 69. I've given up trying to get my groups emails to my regular email account. My email keeps bouncing. 758 times WTF!. It works for everyone else. Why not Yahoo groups.

The talk is on several of my groups is going to alternate communication groups. Get it together
        Yahoo. Everything was fine until the last year or so. Sign me ******.

not user friendly for any one at any age. its a joke, will no longer use yahoo groups

It's horrible! The view button does NOTHING! Can't see messages. It wasn't broke so why did you fix it?

I have the same issue - since the switch to Neo, my group monthly activity has dwindled to around half the posts that were made in previous years - there is a marked decrease as soon as NEO was introduced to my group in September...such a shame, nobody seems able to understand the new format - and it is RUBBISH from a moderator point of view. Nothing works.

using the groups is SOOOOOO Much more of a drag since NEO.
        Users cannot recognize where most features are
        many group moderators are at a loss to find where the functions are hidden

the colors have gone, we used to be able to navigate from group to group and recognize them by colors, now they all have the same yahoo lousy pictures by default, and most group moderators have not been able to change them because it is SOOOO COUNTER INTUITIVE !

Really, NEO is a total failure. Members are lost, moderators who are not computer nerds cannot gear their groups properly etc etc
        Deborah

• karen boekaren boe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sandy! You hit the nail right on the head! Instead of beta testing this mess and rolling out a complete project, they expect us to tell them the problems. They have had long enough to fix the things we have complained about, but keep closing items saying they are fixed, but then we get more feedback on the same issue. I didn't see that this is really their job, not ours. As an end user, we should not have to put up with all these problems for all this time. I keep trying to get the people in my group to move elsewhere, but they have been here so long and are afraid to try and migrate to another social setting. I think Yahoo must have sabotaged groups on purpose. No one can have these many problems for this long and think they will keep their customers. I just wish they would be honest, tell us they are closing groups and let us move on
        without the continuing frustrations.

• SandySandy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In desperation, I froze my group last week. Members can view as an archive, but I have changed permissions so they can no longer edit.

My group members run the gamut of young to old, are computer-savvy to not-so-much, use several browsers and operating systems. None of them like Neo, and most have quit participating. I cannot advise them because what they see is dependent on their browser and OS, and is constantly changing. The database has been through so many changes and problems (failure to edit, failure to save, stupid editing procedures, inability to see whole table without excessive scrolling, inability to import data from a file) and, from my experience and the amount of feedback posted here, needs yet more work. I can’t justify keeping the group active for the few members who can add their data to the tables. We have reverted to email.

Yahoo’s software engineers should be the ones to debug Neo, not the poor users.

• AndyAndy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ditto. Also, I used to be able to add members directly, which is very useful when adding older and computer-illiterate people. Really want that feature back. My groups are suffering because of it.

• Nick DangerNick Danger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I participated in groups, now located on Yahoo, since the late 1990s. After the change, nothing works... not groups, not account settings, not mail. Typical brain-dead "change it for no reason except to look like someone else". Anyway, as a result of the difficulties, I deleted membership in all discussion groups and haven't been back.

I agree with the comments made by others. I am the list owner for several groups of people in the senior age group and most of them cannot navigate to enable access to the group web site. They are not stupid people (eg Probus clubs). As a result, although the group e-mail is used to communicate, most don't access the web site. The new design has definately been a step backwards and I am considering transferring to Google Groups.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base