Hi, please let us know how we can improve Groups further.

Unable to link to a specific message inside a Conversation Thread

Under the old group format (which I still think was immensely superior), we could have links to a specific message in a thread, because each message in a thread would have it's own URL. I am unable to see a URL for specific messages in threads anymore. Only a URL to the whole thread (conversation). In our world famous library of links, we can no longer add new links pointing to outstanding messages (unless they're the first message in a thread, but sometimes the relevant, history-keeping message could be message number 30 in a thread). Please fix this problem ASAP.

16th ranked
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Roleigh Martin, Lead Moderator, JohnMuirTrail Yahoo GroupRoleigh Martin, Lead Moderator, JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David AndrewsDavid Andrews commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even being able to get a message number for the messages would be helpful.

The message number is in buried in the page source for a thread. Suppose the message you want to look up is labelled "Message 9 of 24". View the page source, search down for "Message 9 of 24". Scan a few lines up and you will see 'data-index="16" ' -- 16 = (24 - 9) + 1. That line will contain the Message #.

You could then paste the message number in. But wait a minute. The Message # search dialog is not available. So you open the Conversation window in a new tab and paste in the message number. But wait a minute. The keyboard shortcut for pasting doesn't work. But you can right click and hit paste.

Can you even do all that on a smart phone?

Yahoo! strikes again.

• Roleigh Martin, Lead Moderator, JohnMuirTrail Yahoo GroupRoleigh Martin, Lead Moderator, JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jim,

Thanks for bringing your finding to my attention.

I looked at the situation again and it is so kludgy (you infer as much) that the normal person won't be able to figure out the link to a message. For instance in any message posting, in your email version of the posting, if you have chosen html format for postings, you'll have a link at the bottom "see messages in this thread" -- you'll be able to see all the messages, but no where can you figure out the link to a specific message. What I did for one person's message was I had to search conversations for her email address, and when I clicked on individual messages returned in search result, I found her message and specific link.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/johnmuirtrail/conversations/messages/38683

I should not have had to go to that extent. Yahoo needs to clean up their interface (GUI). In the old format, if you saw all messages in a thread, a link was made for each message, if you clicked on it, you got the link for that message.

Others, please vote on this suggestion, Yahoo needs to know they need to clean this mess up. The issue has a ranking now of about 36 (much better than initial ranking of 8600 or something). We're close to getting into the very top bracket.

Thanks!

Roleigh Martin, Lead Moderator, JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group

• JudyJudy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The linking ability is an important feature. I hope it can be restored as it makes these valuable resources available to those who need them most.

• Jim RinglandJim Ringland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just a follow-up to my earlier comment. You can get a message URL, but it's awkward. A rather natural way to find things is to use Topics view, but you can't link to a message or even get a message number there. You have to go out to Messages view to get the link. The process is do-able but lengthy in a very active group with lots of long threads. It would be better to be able to find the link from the Topics view

• Jim RinglandJim Ringland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely agree. I'm a member of several groups with excellent posting histories, all of which are now much harder than before to access.

• angelika G.angelika G. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The old format was great, your ' improved' new format is sadly still messing things up, that were useful and worked so well before. A very frustrating user experience !

Feedback and Knowledge Base