Hi, please let us know how we can improve Groups further.

Please allow YahooGroup admins to set the "FROM" address. Now emails come from the group address, but have the sender's name. Terrible!

Please allow YahooGroup admins to set the "FROM" address. Now emails come from the group address, but have the sender's name. Terrible! This wrecks havoc in two ways:

1. You cannot easily reply just to the sender.

2. It mucks up member's address books in their email clients. Now, the group address will be associated with another member's name. If the user tries to send an email just to that member, their email client may choose the group email address. Bad!

2nd ranked
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • yahoo
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SethSeth shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

95 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • yahoo
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mark DiVecchioMark DiVecchio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its 17 Aug 2014 and the "From" header is still causing our group problems. In Oct 2013, the header looked like this:

To: TTBikers@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [TTBikers] Thursday Oct 24th Ride
        Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 20:59:25 -0400 (EDT)
        Sender: TTBikers@yahoogroups.com
        Reply to: TTBikers@yahoogroups.com

Sometime around May of 2014, it became

From: "User Name user@yahoo.com [TTBikers]" <TTBikers@yahoogroups.com>
        To: TTbikers <ttbikers@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [TTBikers] Birthday ride
        Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 08:52:07 -0700 (PDT)
        Sender: TTBikers@yahoogroups.com
        Reply to: TTBikers@yahoogroups.com

Now when the users of the group I manage hit the reply button, the message goes to the group instead of the poster. They don't get to select either the "From" address or the "Reply to" address because they are the same. The only way to reply directly to the poster is to manually edit the "From" address once you are composing the reply.

So come on Yahoo, you didn't make any changes on 30 May. If you are going place the group address in the "From" field, at least put the poster's email in the "Reply to" field so we can pick where we want the reply to go.

• LarsLars commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Doesn't seem like any changes have been "rolled out" at all to fix the problem with the incorrect FROM-address. Still the same problem as described above. The only change I can see is an added "Posted by"-line at the end of the messages, which is not the same as fixing the e-mail from address that is the problem. If this isn't fixed soon I'll have to move over to another provider.

• AlwaysAnon13AlwaysAnon13 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It shows the senders name in the group, but not in my email program! In my email program it shows the group name! I want to see the sender's name and I'm sure everyone else does too! Please change that back!

• tarltarl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No you haven't addressed the issue. The "FROM" address is still munged - we can no longer filter based on who sent an email (there are group members I need to flag, and others I need to auto-delete). Our group members from AOL cannot tell who sent messages because their email clients only show the actual email address - and your "signature" addition seems to sometimes be there and sometimes not (I'd prefer it go away, since it ends up in quoted reply text).

Please put things back the way they were.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like the old way...that way my group members can see who sent the email..and if they want to reply to that person back channel..now the way it is set up..it sucks

• SuzSuz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am so glad to see Yahoo Administration is actually listening to those of us who really need this change!
        Thanks Yahoo!!!

• mike caldwellmike caldwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Terrible change. There are nearly 100 members in my group, and about 20 postings per day. I have to look at all of them to see if the email is of interest.

• ShalShal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If Yahoo doesn't want to go as far as the DMARC list suggestion 3C that David cited, I have a couple of simpler ways to head off the current flurry of misdirected messages. Hopefully these are things Yahoo will consider doing quickly, while still evaluating more comprehensive solutions (such as 3C):

"Reduce accidental group postings when posting or replying via email"
        https://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/209451-us-groups/suggestions/5964275-reduce-accidental-group-postings-when-posting-or-r

"Reduce accidental group postings when replying via the Conversations page"
        https://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/209451-us-groups/suggestions/5964129-reduce-accidental-group-postings-when-replying-via

Neither of these really address the original points 1 & 2 as suggestion 3C would.

@David - Yes, 3C could have spared us a lot of trouble with supposedly private messages being posted to groups. Given that Yahoo already keeps a database of information about every email address used by a group member, it could not have been very difficult to support the necessary forwarding of replies.

The comment under "Cons" refers to the forwarded reply itself: its From address must also be rewritten to avoid a DMARC failure at receipt. And so one can expect replies back by way of that rewritten address as well.

• Matthew PittsMatthew Pitts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

David Andrews and others: A better solution would be for the developers of DMARC to go back and eliminate the problem by checking for an X-Sender header line that matches the originating From: header line domain. This would allow those lists that do not use DMARC and have no intention of doing so to keep things as they have always been, and have the emails sent out by the listserver software stay in compliance with IETF RFC 5322 which states that the From header MUST NOT contain any email bailbox that is not under the control of the sender.

• David ADavid A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about DMAC solution 3C, on the DMARC site? See

http://www.dmarc.org/faq.html#s_3

There's a comment there I don't understand yet, though:

"If the reply author's domain publishes restrictive email authentication policies, the message operator may have to take additional steps..."

Why should "groupname-userid@yahoogroups.com" (or some such thing) be more problematic than ""groupname@yahoogroups.com"?

• Michael L. HallMichael L. Hall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You need to revert to the old format. This is crazy. Adding the "posted by" text at the bottom of each email just shows that it is needed. If it's in the email, why not just put it in the proper place? It's even in the From line as a comment! WTH? If it's not broken, DON'T FIX IT. Put it back the way it was.

@Linda (and others) - the posting member's name and email address have always been visible in messages received by other members (as individual emails). Maybe your email user interface didn't show them to you, but they were there in the message header fields.

People who thought their email addresses were private when posting to a Yahoo Group had a false sense of security - except in the rare case of a group that allows members to hide their address, and the even rarer case of a member that takes advantage of that feature. The May 9th change to the From addresses didn't break that privacy feature.

The From address rewrite has nothing to do with protecting your group from Spam. Exempting your group from the change would only revert your group to the prior situation where members using certain email services could not receive messages from members using certain other email services - as was the case from April 22nd to May 9th.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the groups I own is a disease specific support group. The changes regarding publication of senders' name and email address is horrible. I don't blame irate members who have been writing to me in droves to complain. The group is fully moderated (by me alone). No spam gets by me and there are no second chances. But if we can't respect the members' privacy, discussion will cease and the value of the group will plunge. Please exempt moderated groups from this disaster. Thanks for your help.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base