Hi, please let us know how we can improve Groups.

Need to subscribe people directly to the Yahoo group without sending an invitation

I have a multi-national group; some of whom English is a second language. It is not working for me to send out the invitations. Even though I let the people know it is coming, half my adult ed students do not subscribe. They don't recognize it as an invitation but as spam. Then, they ask me, "how come I am not getting my class emails?" This is completely unworkable. To some I've sent 3 emails without them subscribing, eventually, I give up. I only have so much time to devote to this! If they don't get it, I can't fix it. Which means, some have missed field trips, and others couldn't find the class that week. Yahoo, put subscriptions so the moderator can add people directly.

13th ranked
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • yahoo
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    J. CAREYJ. CAREY shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Responded  ·  Product SupportAdminProduct Support (Admin, Yahoo) responded  · 

Thank you, for sharing your feedback !

Invitation requires that the member accepts to join, in order to prevent abuse.

A user can join the group mailing list by sending a blank email to

groupname-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Note: Replace groupname with the actual name of the group.

See more in this help page:
    https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN2409.html?impressions=true

This will be only access to group emails and not full web access to the group. To gain full web membership the users need to sign in with they yahoo account. See how:

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/web-access-membership-sln2464.html

- Yahoo Groups product team

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • yahoo
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In a closed group there can not be abuse because only the moderator can add a name or invite. So not allowing a moderator to add to a closed group is troublesome to say the least

• ShalFShalF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are many ways to make a new direct add feature resistant to abuse. J Carey's suggestion of a fee-based privilege is just one way it could be done.

Instead of charging the fee monthly Yahoo could make it a one-time deposit, which is forfeited in the event of an abuse report. Instead of actually charging the fee, Yahoo could simply require that a valid credit card be on file. The privilege could be reputation based, and tied to an individual moderator's account rather than to the group, with tracking of successful adds (those where the member stays in the group for some time) versus unsuccessful (the member soon leaves) and abuse reports. The privilege could be available only to moderators who have a mobile number on file, or some other proof of identity sufficient to deter spammers.

The point here is not so much what mechanism Yahoo chooses, but that there be a mechanism. One which fairly excludes spammers while empowering responsible moderators. Those responsible moderators, after all, bring new members to Yahoo Groups - and that's a good thing for Yahoo too!

• Terry TegnazianTerry Tegnazian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree - bring back direct adds. If there is abuse, then punish the abusers - don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

I have moderated a homeowners group of more than 700 people for more than 10 years. We only people who affirmatively ask to be added. However, since Yahoo stopped permitting direct adds, only about 1 out of 3 of the people I "invite" (after they have requested to be added) actually respond -- and this is after I send them a detailed email telling them to look for the "invitation" and to click the "join" button in order to be added. The invitation either end up in spam or folks just can't figure out what to do.

• AnonAnon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Move your group to Google Groups. I moved my school groups to GG because it allows direct adds, which is great if your group works primarily with email. GG does not have all of the bells and whistles like Yahoo! Groups, it is just the basic email rebroadcast system, which works great for school groups to distribute information by email.

• J. CAREYJ. CAREY commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To clarify my comment below--I would be willing to pay for $5/month to Yahoo as a special permit so as to be able to add adult ed students whose English makes it impossible for them to join so they see invites as spam and delete it. I asked it be by permit and your moderators must show just cause to be able to have this service, also that the moderator must have proof by written document which can be filled out on Yahoo for application by student to the site giving the moderator permission to directly add them. Notice would be sent to moderator to add them. This way the process is backwards to what goes on now. I can sit with a student so they can fill out the form. I can add them. Everyone wins. Yahoo makes money. The student gets added. I can add them. It works.

• J. CAREYJ. CAREY commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could we get a just cause permit? Like a case by case basis for turning on direct add, one could apply to Yahoo for it.? I would like it to be a paid option. Like $5 a month for direct add, contingent on maintaining a clean record of only 1 wrongly added person a year, please offer a direct add permit that you have to apply with paperwork which would show the reason for getting direct add. Some references need to be taken and just cause shown. And of course, it needs to be a paid option because it is not normally offered. I would pay $5 out of pocket because of the time savings you'd give me.

I am against DIRECT ADDING members I ONLY SEND INVITES

AT one time you could do it in classic and i backfired for many owners

some OWNERS were taking names from groups that were clearly NON-ADULT where MINORS were members and DIRECT ADDING THEM TO ADULT GROUPS

groups got deleted because of complaints from people they were receiving email from a group they didn't want any part off

YAPOO discontinued that feature in CLASSIC YEARS AGO

now they are trying to bring it back

if you want to keep your group DON'T USE DIRECT ADD

only send invites

JOE a GROUP OWNER FOR 15 YEARS

I so agree. I have a large age range of women who want to be in the Group, but lately only 1 in 5 from whom I get a request (either as an email to me or in an email from one of their friends) actually make it into the Group. I have written out very detailed instructions, but many of them are just barely computer literate. This is unacceptable. Please return the ability to direct add people and if you're worried about abuse, limit it to 5 people per day (or less). At least let us add ONE per day...

It used to be that Yahoo would allow its users to have personal settings in place so group owners could not add them to groups without their permission. I am pretty sure the direct add feature may have been abused so much that Yahoo decided to turn it off. However, I can see some benefits to having it enabled in the situations that J. Carey describes in the suggestion above.

Feedback and Knowledge Base