Hi, please let us know how we can improve Groups further.

It's hard to find date-sorted links. Please let us sort them alphabetically.

Our links are currently date-sorted, and it's hard to find the specific link we're looking for. If we could have them sorted alphabetically, or if we could have the OPTION of sorting them alphabetically, it would really help. It's probably easier to program for a date sort, but it's harder for the end-user.

7th ranked
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • yahoo
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • yahoo
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ShalShal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can take votes back by clicking on the vote button and reducing the number you give any particular idea. I do that sometimes with older suggestions when there's something newer I want to support. The "My Feedback" selector is good for finding out where your votes are.

No David, that is not the issue here. If that's _your_ issue you should make a new suggestion about it so that your idea won't go down the drain when Yahoo marks this one "completed".

If you have (or you found someone else's) link to it here so I and interested others can go add votes to it!

• David ADavid A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At issue here is the fact that links are treated differently than Files and Photo Albums.

The addition of Files and Links should be able to be moderated as well as Photos. Often ideas can be more harmful that pictures.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorting links alphabetically is much more useful than by DATE and should be the default.

From my point of view both alphabetic and date sort have their use cases. I'm glad the Action menu provides both, but "Action" seems an unexpected place for a user to look for a view option. But I suppose that's a different "Idea".

It would be sufficient for me if the sort order (and all view options in all sections) were remembered past the next page load - preferably remembered indefinitely.

I think this was handled in classic groups by using non-expiring cookies to remember these selections. The view selections in classic were remembered globally (affecting your view of any group you visit) not per-group, and that's fine with me too.

• NancyNancy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I co-moderate a large group, almost 12,000. Totally agree that links and files should default to be sorted alpha.

Yes, we can change the time sorting to an alphabetic sorting when we go to the links. However, we may be in that area several times a day. The links always go back to the default setting which was determined by Yahoo. Believe me, the alphabetic sort setting, should be the default setting. Also, it should be the same setting for the files area.

Thank you! More -> Links -> Action -> Sort -> Alphabetically.
        That the linked site comes up in a separate tab is wonderful!

• Nedra EwartNedra Ewart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Links sorted by date are WORTHLESS!
        People are looking for links on specific topics. Topics are ALPHABETICAL WORDS, NOT dates.
        One of the most valuable links in my group of livestock guardian dogs is a link on how to train an LGD to protect poultry. It's challenging and VERY IMPORTANT!
        BUT
        The link was put on the group website back in 2006 or 2007 and there ARE NO OTHER WEBSITES on this topic, so this is MOST important to be able to find it quickly.

If they have to go through links on a newest/oldest sort ONLY, it will take MUCH LONGER to find the link they URGENTLY NEED TO FIND!

Date sort links are RARELY NEEDED.
        Alphabetical topically oriented sorts ARE CONSTANTLY NEEDED!!!

A third method that users sometimes use is to arrange the links (etc) in their own choice of order (User's Manual Arrangement and rearrangement). This is different than an automatic sort order, user-commanded sort order, or default sort order? Is that also supported?

For groups that store a lot of links, I believe that sorting alphabetically is the best option. Sorting by date would also be a good option to check for links that no longer work. So, in a sense, the option to use sort alphabetically or sort by date would be optimal.

The folders as someone posted in Neo were always sorted by alphabetical order - both the folders and the contents in the folders. Then you changed it back almost a year later to sorting by date only. Sorting by date is not able to be used when you have hundreds of links or files. Each time you locate one, as soon as you open it or change to another one it automatically goes back to being sorted by date! You cannot locate any one link or file when it is sorted by date. The drop down where you can check off alphabetical should at the very least have a choice for what you want for a permanent default and not lose that ability to keep it in alphabetical order. It consistently changes back to sorting by date! Make it so it stays the chosen default being date or alphabetical. I fail to see what it is that you do not understand. Get someone who understands this basic order and how the lists Files and Links work.

The folders as someone posted in Neo were always sorted by alphabetical order - both the folders and the contents in the folders. Then you changed it back almost a year later to sorting by date only. Sorting by date is not able to be used when you have hundreds of links or files. Each time you locate one, as soon as you open it or change to another one it automatically goes back to being sorted by date! You cannot locate any one link or file when it is sorted by date. The drop down where you can check off alphabetical should at the very least have a choice for what you want for a permanent default and not lose that ability to keep it in alphabetical order. It consistently changes back to sorting by date! Make it so it stays the chosen default being date or alphabetical. I fail to see what it is that you do not understand. Get someone who understands this basic order and how the lists Files and Links work.

Feedback and Knowledge Base