Tell us how we can improve your Yahoo Mail experience.

Unable to move emails to file folders!

Since the switch to the new version of Yahoo Mail this week, I can no longer move email messages to my folders -- please help!

8th ranked
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    NanNan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Completed  ·  Product SupportAdminProduct Support (Admin, Yahoo) responded  · 

Following the steps in this Yahoo! Help article will allow you to resolve the majority of issues you may encounter:

http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&id=SLN3223&locale=en_US&y=PROD_MAIL_ML

Because this forum is intended to gather feedback/suggestions for Yahoo! Mail, if you continue experiencing this problem, please contact Customer Care by going to:

https://io.help.yahoo.com/contact/index?y=PROD_wieuowiuero&locale=en_US&page=contact&srcContact=acct_care#comm-form

Thank you for using Yahoo! Mail!

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DaveDave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Moving an email to a folder works maybe once out of 10 tries. A regression like that in an email client is embarassing. Functionality over flashy graphics Yahoo -- you're smarter than that (I would have thought).

• Debbie JacksonDebbie Jackson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure what's going on with yahoo, but its seems that the enhancements are hurting more than helping. I manage a lot of emails and I really have a need to save my emails in folders and now it is just not happening. What is good about taking that control?

• rolferolfe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ryan C. workaround sounds the same as the one I was using and commented 10/16/13 below. So yes, a brief drag and THEN click in the dropdown list, when moving an email to a subfolder, works. Making all subfolder names "short enough" also helped me, but I hope they fix it for real, we'll see... this isn't the most voted-up of the issues, so I imagine most people aren't experiencing it, so... we'll see...

• Ryan C.Ryan C. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Starting from inbox...
        check the folders you want to move...
        go to the move option to drop down list of folders...
        left click on the folder you want to move your emails to and hold...
        drag the image while holding it down a little and release...
        in the same drop down window hover over the folder you just dragged...
        once the highlighted box lights up the correct folder click it again like you normally would...
        for some reason doing this has worked every time for me when moving emails to my folders...
        would love to know if it works for others.

• Johanna RoseJohanna Rose commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I spent forever moving my messages from an OIB folder to my inbox and deleted hundreds of old messages, in that same folder, as well. I kept getting ERROR messages. When I tried to send a message to "customer service" I could not send my request, even after trying repeatedly. So, being the calm person that I am, I waited a few days just to see if anything changed. Surprise, surprise! MY ENTIRE OIB FOLDER SEEMS TO HAVE DISAPPEARED, PLUS THE MESSAGES THAT I MOVED ARE MISSING! UGH. LOTS OF IMPORTANT MESSAGES. NOW WHAT!!!!!???
        The Yahoo app on my droid is not working well either. What the h***? Do I have to get a new email address and start all over? That would be death! Any suggestions?

Another way I can make the "Move v" list work is to click Move v, the list opens, I move the mouse pointer down the list starting at the top, pass through the first list item and continue down to the 2nd item in my case (one item lower than the "too long" item in the list, if you have a wordy subfolder item like me). Now I move back up to "Move v" and the list now "reformats" so my longer name subfolder item shows as a "2-liner" and stays in that format so I can actually click on the desired item. Only 2 mouse clicks are involved, plus some mouse hovering as described. Tricky to explain, but that's likely enough info to repro the issue. I haven't done any "enable JavaScript" etc. experimenting yet, I will later. For users that aren't interested in getting fancier with JavaScript etc., the "if JavaScript is not enabled" etc. logic should work as well, to cater to them, or else display a "JavaScript REQUIRED for this page" perhaps, something like that, is my thought. Making the long folder name shorter also makes the issue not occur. I made my longer folder name shorter, tried it, and then made it back to its longer name.

One suggestion of the Admin "completed" message was to lower the security level to medium or lower and enable JavaScript. Mine is medium-high by default and JavaScript disabled, and I enable it only for selected sites by adding them to the "trusted sites" zone. They should suggest that too, assuming that technically works... (?)

In my case it was a list width issue with the "Move v" dropdown list. The first subfolder (alphabetically) in my list of subfolders had a longer name, TOO long for the new yahoo email apparently. I'd open the Move dropdown list and it would display OK at first but as soon as I click one of the subfolders I want to move my selected email to, the list "reformats" and the longer item now shows as a "2-liner" thus shifting all the other folders down in the list. So the item I tried to click doesn't get clicked. To work around it I kept the mouse down like dragging and then moved it to the same item it was "dragging" which "has no effect". The list remains open and now that it's "staying put" I click the item successfully and the email moves to the subfolder.
        So I "gave in" and made the longer subfolder name shorter with some abbreviating or so, and now the 2-liner issue is not occurring and I don't have to do that workaround. This still should be fixed though of course. No reason for a dropdown list to not be able to... you know.

• ClaireClaire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It usually takes me 3 attempts to move an email:
        1. Move once opened from the inbox to the relevant folder. If that fails:
        2. Close it and tick the box beside it and then use the move tab. That sometimes works. If it fails:
        3. Open the folders and drag the ticked box to the relevant folder.
        A ridiculous and time-wasting series of key strokes. Yahoo needs to rethink this change now.

• cheri huntcheri hunt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely HATE the new Yahoo Mail. Like many others, I cannot move any of my email to any folder, and this is bad news for me! I've already lost a couple I've tried over and over and over again to move...well, they moved alright...totally "lost in space"! This is very frustrating and I'm losing my patience with Yahoo!

• robert muzeenrobert muzeen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have found that the move to folder option works the first time you use it, and will not work thereafter. The only way is to close and open the browser each time you want to move an e-mail to a folder.
        What happened to the old adage 'if it aint broke don't fix it'.
        This new version is dreadful - it is riddled with bugs and not at all user friendly. Move back to the old version quickly while you still have some users.

• Jean EspositoJean Esposito commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have trouble too. Most of the time I am not able to move email messages to folders. Frustrating!

• KlingerKlinger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with all the other frustrated users. What makes Yahoo change stuff for the worse? And 1/2 of the options you are "offering" don't work - I use yahoo for 3 different business accounts - I'm not interested in conversations or messaging, just straightforward easy access to the information I need. Everything goes into folders, and that feature is now so pathetic, that I am also ready to change to another provider.
        If you can't simplify everything, just go back to classic. Admit you were WRONG and fix it before you lose all of your customers!

• Betsy CosmosBetsy Cosmos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to try and move my emails to file folders many, many times before it finally takes. Ridiculous! I totally agree with all the comments asking to bring back the previous format. This format stinks and we didn't even get an opportunity to opt out. I may switch everything to gmail pretty soon, let me tell you!

• RonRon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I can only move my emails to other folders on occasion. Most of the time, it doesn't work.

Feedback and Knowledge Base