Tell us how we can improve your Yahoo Mail experience.

Disposable Addresses - Base name problem

I was trying the "Disposable Addresses" feature. To see how it looks and to get used to it, I create a new email address using a random "base name" and a random "keyword". After that, I said ok, it is a very useful characteristic, but now let me give rise to a real one that I can really use. So I deleted this address.
But, to my surprise, the "base name" was impossible to erase. I now that you can only have one base name, but the fact that it stays forever there once you have choosen it, that was not apparent. Yahoo Help mentions nothing about this:

I need to employ another "base name" because the one that I first use is stupid (it was a trial). Which means that, at this moment, for me, the "Disposable Addresses" feature has become useless.

Can Yahoo help me?

13th ranked
Sign in
or sign in with
  • yahoo
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    RoxanaRoxana shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We would like to thank you for your feedback! Currently, Disposable Address base names are not able to be deleted once they’ve been created for an account. Think of it as being like a tattoo for your Yahoo Mail account.

You can find out more about base names in the Yahoo Help article:

We’re very sorry you’re not satisfied with the base name you chose, so thank you for your feedback!

Sign in
    or sign in with
    • yahoo
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Leif FellagueLeif Fellague commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This seems pretty straightforward. Allow the disposable address feature to be "reset", deleting all existing disposable addresses and the base name after providing a strong warning explaining that this will happen and requiring confirmation from the user. This would deal with all the problems reported here and hopefully protect users from inadvertently trashing their collection of addresses.

I have to say, disposable addresses are great and this generally isn't a bad implementation, but they're also the only reason I use Yahoo! mail. I strongly caution y'all to pay more attention to this feature. Without it, I'll be exclusively on gmail - and I don't imagine I'm alone.

• polocanadapolocanada commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't remove Disposable email address in Yahoo settings. There is no way to remove. Why Yahoo didn't warn this is like a "Tatoo" for Yahoo?? I now have a nonsensical base address and no way to change it. I wanted to test it... so I put "HFJLEFPEPOJPNWJPEIGJLWKJELKJ".... as my base name for Yahoo.
        So thank you, if I can't remove I guess I have to stick with it till end of my life. But at least with Tattoo I can have laser surgery or have remove the skin completely. I'd like to be able to do that with my Yahoo account.
        Here is the screenshot:

• wAiwAi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Admin,

Honestly, "sorry" is too convenient a way out for you. Nonsense with the tattoo analogy. You could allow a one-time change at least and everyone could have walked away happy but you decided otherwise.

It's a very straight forward WIN-WIN solution. Don't you agree?

Sorry, but I simply cannot accept your answer and apology.

• Darla KruseeDarla Krusee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Be careful what you wish for. Years ago I accidentally deleted my base name and lost all 100's of the disposable addresses it was part of - forever. Back then it was one click and it was gone and there was no getting it back.

Point being, messaging needs to be much more clear for things that cannot be changed or recovered. When creating a base name it must be clear that you get one shot at it then you'll be stuck with it forever. Luckily it sounds like it's impossible to accidentally delete these now, and I for one appreciate that now that I have 100's of disposables again.

I've had Ad Free, a.k.a. Mail Plus, for 10+ years and LOVE. IT! I just wish the functionality was available on mobile.

• VolkerVolker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fully support the call to return the option to change the disposable base name.
        Similar to Roxana I created a "test name" several years ago when you could still change it. Trying to "consolidate" several newsletters to one email account I wanted to change my base name to something more useful, but this option is gone. Now, shall I created another yahoo account or go somewhere else? Having watched the yahoo development over the last few years, IMHO they currently seem to be more preoccupied with fancy updates breaking useful features rather than keeping or even implementing new ones. So my hopes are not very high.

• bob freesebob freese commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The disposable address idea is a good one, and with improvements, it will keep me at Yahoo. Maybe - the new interface is do bad though, it may be time to move on.

• EBEB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think that there is anyone left at Yahoo who even realizes this feature exists. Every time mail is "enhanced" something else goes wrong with disposable addresses. When they "enhanced" groups, they broke the subscriptions from disposable addresses. In the current incarnation of mail, you cannot create or edit disposable addresses -- you have to switch to "basic" to see what you have.

All of which is to say that I don't think we're going to get a resolution to this problem because no one at Yahoo cares about the customers who use it.

• raminguitarraminguitar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tweeted about this issue to Yahoo Customer Care @YahooCare

Additionally, it has been highlighted many times before on Yahoo Feedback (refer to links below), so when will Yahoo! acknowledge and address this issue?

25th ranked Mar 13, 2014 Disposable Addresses - Base name problem

56th ranked Jan 23, 2014 I want to be able to change the base name of my disposable email address like I used to be able to do.

2284th ranked Feb 10, 2014 Provide option to change the base name of disposable address

5066th ranked Jan 14, 2014 Change base name

8296th ranked Nov 21, 2013 Why can't I change base disposable email for another base name?

8296th ranked Jan 08, 2014 allow to delete Base name on disposable email

• raminguitarraminguitar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I created a disposable email address base name, however I made a spelling error.

How may I rename, or delete and recreate my base name?

This old Yahoo! Help article provides steps to delete a base name, and it used to work before:

Yahoo! Help > Tutorials > Yahoo! Mail > Using Disposable Addresses

However, the Delete link is no longer available.

Feedback and Knowledge Base