Tell us how we can improve your Yahoo Mail experience.

Folder column width needs to be adjustable [or at least widened]

Without the ability to nest folders, we are forced to use longer folder names to categorize and sort mail. Recent updates have continued to narrow the width of the folder column, making it nearly impossible to tell which folder is which.

For instance, two folders named "Project-Garage" and "Project-Roof" show only as "Project...", forcing you to hover over each folder to determine which is which. This is especially cumbersome when filtering and sorting unread mails into folders, since you can no longer tell at a glance which folder has new mail.

Please allow the width of the column folder to be adjusted [or at the very least, widen it more than it currently is]. It is a shame to lose the functionality of filters, folders, and sorting because of this decision.

Thanks much for listening...

11th ranked
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • yahoo
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Claude ArianClaude Arian shared a merged idea: Add a resize feature to the left pane (where the folders are lcoated)  ·   · 
    anita Guptaanita Gupta shared a merged idea: I am frustated with width of folder column its nightmare. I am seriously looking into migrating togmail  ·   · 
    Wolf Wolf shared a merged idea: Yahoo mail has become very annoying!  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Left panel is too narrow  ·   · 
    SavannagalSavannagal shared a merged idea: Need adjustable width section for folder list  ·   · 
    BarryBarry shared a merged idea: Improvements in Yahoo! Mail  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Allow the user to widen the folders column on the left. After eight years of paying for biz yahoo, i'm ready to quit  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Could please add a function where I can make my left column with my folders wider so I can read the name of the folders. It is too narrow.  ·   · 
    timothy karlstimothy karls shared a merged idea: the mail folders colume is too narrow, make it wider or allow me to modify the width  ·   · 
    joejoe shared a merged idea: The column that displays the email message is not wide enough. Does this mean I need ad free email?  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: As other users have requested, I want to be able to expand the folder column & I want the Sort By Sender feature back too!  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Please return the 'folder column' with arrow to make it wide or narrow, so you can view the folder titles when you need more room.  ·   · 
    Completed  ·  Product SupportAdminProduct Support (Admin, Yahoo) responded  · 

Thanks you very much for your feedback! Your input helps us find ways to make Yahoo Mail more useful and enjoyable for everyone. We’ll keep your suggestion in mind as we continue to make improvements. Take care!

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • yahoo
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What kind of moronic programmer would view the inability to view a portion of the emails as an 'enhancement'? Do you have no business analysts to review your design changes? Have you subbed out all your development to India?

• KLKL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make sidebar wider. Is it that hard to do ??? Where is the talent ???

• IsabelleIsabelle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The folder column width definitely needs to be adjustable. I have folders with similar names in the beginning of the folder name and unless I hover over the folders, I don't know which folder is which.

• HelenHelen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please gather this feedback: Why are we only allowed 10 votes on here and then we can't enter any new ideas? Why do you keep making changes that nobody wants?

• CC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An adjustable folder column and nested folders really needs to be implemented. Outlook.com has this ability.

• LeeDarLeeDar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Elizabeth, you are talking about the email itself. The is in regards to the folder name column on the left.

• Elizabeth WoodElizabeth Wood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have found you can widen the viewing field by placing the cursor on the bar on the right side of the message. A message will come up that says something like, "view full message", or something like that. Then, the message goes full width. This will ONLY work if you allow their ads to remain. I subscribed to a FREE service called "Adblock Plus" through Google, that eliminates these ads without paying for Yahoo's service. HOWEVER, in doing this, I am not able to move the message bar to the right. It seems like Yahoo mail wants you to subscribe to their paid subscription to remove the ads. Another solution is to reduce your print size so that the entire message is on one pane (CTRL + the minus key). You can enlarge your print back by reversing this...CTRL and the + sign.

• JoeWulfJoeWulf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1

Yahoo, please expedite resolving this for your customers ASAP!!

Another (less than ideal) possibility would be to have a sideways-scrolling bar for that column to assist in viewing and getting to the right folder. Still, that column should simply be user-adjustable in width to suit the customers' needs.

How come most answers say Contact Customer Care or upgrade to Prime(which costs $$). Why not just fix your app back to the high standards it used to function at instead of this 'another day another issue' situtation???

gee. Has anyone noticed that all the posts here are made in RAGE with lots of !!!!!!!!!! I would hate to have this person's job. Ask for a raise.

Why would you do this when your users utilize this feature and you lop off half the folder name and then NOT ALLOW us to adjust the column? Please reverse this and give US the CHOICE!!!! I will stop using Yahoo all together.

• LeedarLeedar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same frustration as I also have many folder names in a similar format as yourself.

Feedback and Knowledge Base