Tell us how we can improve your Yahoo Mail experience.

Please stop asking me to change my password and give you my phone number

I changed my password recently enough, its strong. You will NEVER get my phone number. I read some replies below - it says "occasionally we will ask you to change your password" - no, this is not occasionally, its every day! The only way that I can stop this is to change my account so that it does not log out every 24hrs - more of a security worry in my mind than changing my password!!

7th ranked
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • yahoo
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MandiMandi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: stop making people change their password all the time, I have had to change it 5 times in the last three days  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Stop imposing YOUR security model on MY e-mail account.  ·   · 

We’ll sometimes ask you to change the password on your account for security reasons such as unauthorized access. This is done to ensure your account is safe and secure. You can read more about this here:

Why Yahoo may prompt you to change your password

If you’re often asked to change your password I recommend that you contact the Account Security team by filling out this Help form.

Please submit a request on this issue by selecting “Password and sign in” as the topic, and “unable to sign in” as the sub-topic. Lastly, click “Call Us”.

31 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • yahoo
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You might be able to click on the teeny tiny words at the bottom of each of the 2-3 - yes, 2-3 - screens to tell it you don't want to change your pw. Then again, you will have to do this EVERY darn time you login. Painful, very painful.

• fernandofernando commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes , why keep on asking to change password even I just change it last few days.

I am furiuos for six weeks now I cant access my mail without changing my pasword EVERY time I tried open my mail! Annoying.. I wont encourage ANY one (maybe my greatest enimy?) to open a yahoo mail account!!

• Colleen MillerColleen Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES really.. I have had to change my pw too a few times and NOW it wont let me change it so I cannot get in my email at all!! I use the yahoo helper which does not help... I have an old alternate email and so when yahoo sends my pw into it I cannot get the pw from it.. I need help so badly but no where to get help

I have to sign in and then put mail.yahoo.com back in my address bar to jump over all this nonsense.
        Major inconvenience.
        Also, you're caching my old passwords and you know that you've been hacked before. What is your problem?
        Clearly you can't accept that not all your users have cell phones, nor that we wouldn't want to give them to you.
        I've been moving more and more of my e-mails to my Gmail account. Yahoo is horrendous and only gets worse with every "improvement".

• Michael McCurdyMichael McCurdy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to know how caching our old passwords is a good idea! That's just plain wrong! Additionally, people have their own passwords and want to use them.... it stinks to be told you have to do this or that. Yahoo is too restrictive and authoritarian over our passwords... and we (very many of us) think it stinks. I used to be a paid customer but you guys had such service failures that I walked away from it... I'm still walking away because of what I have mentioned heretofore and because I have serious trust issues with Yahoo (You cache my old passwords!!!! Shame, shame!!!) and because of service failures in the past. Yahoo is loosing ground because it has lost touch with the audience. I'm sure this rant was a complete waste of my time... Yahoo has decided to cache all of our passwords till kingdom come and this little complaint by little ole me will go unheeded like so many before me.

I'm getting it every 2 days now. Is Yahoo really getting hacked daily? Maybe they need a new IT team.

• Al NaAl Na commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree. I have given enough time to Yahoo to remove this message and since they are ignoring their users, I will think of moving to some other mail provider may be Hotmail.

• maramara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. You do not need my phone number for security and I won't give it out.

Instead, if you're truly concerned about security, give another option, like giving a second email address to send issues to if you can't get into your account.

Or yeah, let people opt out, cuz you know, we're adults and should be able to choose that option.

• mirymiry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stop! Stop! Stop! Asking for the app specific password a million times! I have an iphone, ipad, mac and labtop every stinking time i use one you want to generate a new one. I am moving everything to gmail. I don't care anymore what your reasons are

• mikemike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Today my sitebuilder throws me an error stating my ID or password is wrong. It has been the same since the first day. If I can't use it, I'll drop the service. That simple. It worked in my mailbox, but I've been in my mailbox for 20 minutes now and STILL I can't continue to my Yahoo dashboard because of F'ng Yahoo popups wanting this and that. Stop already. So I changed my password as it instructed - and guess what? ALL my alias accounts and email addresses in my home email program now are throwing a fit because they don't agree with the new password. I'll have to spend time changing all of them. As for the online Yahoo mail, I don't care about the email background or color, I don't want to make a profile, I don't HAVE a mobile phone. I don't want anything else but to get to my website dashboard and it seems i can't do it from there. I will be actively looking for another way to host my website. This is ridiculous. I've been a paying customer for over 10 years and I want to get to the data I pay for. This sucks! Now I will have to convert the sitebuilder pages to REAL html and drop this fiasco once and for all. That's what I intend to do the rest of today, this week, this month, however long it takes until I can start fresh somewhere else. (You have successfully made my account safe and secure FROM ME!)

I don't HAVE a mobile phone. So PLEASE stop asking me to provide a non-existent number!

I changed my password and whatever I guess the new one it's wrong. I've had enough.

Glad I am not the only one frustrated by this situation. Even though changed password to Upper and Lower Case with numbers and symbols, keeps asking to change. When will yahoo fix. This is not "occasionally".

This is sooo annoying. I can see you asking a couple of times. Stop the harassment! I just changed mine and I am NOT going to change it again for a while. You should have a box that one can check saying "I decline the change at this time" and the irritating requests should then go away. AND I am NOT giving out my cell phone number.

If I'm asked to change my password again I'll be dropping Yahoo as my mail server. I've been hacked twice this year and I've had to change my password about twenty times. 3 times in the last 24 hours because after I change it it still doesn't work the next time I sign in. Please fix all the issues with your site.
        Also please stop sending me "daily Yahoo stories". As far as I'm concerned it's just spam. Thank you and please take care of all these issues.

• TidusTidus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yahoo Mail users I had the same problem with the prompt to change password
        every time I signed in.Clicking the ignore or remind me later button skips this,but it will ask again with the prompt next time you sign in.

I found a solution to put a stop to it & I haven't had a prompt since.
        Just enter in your current password & re-enter it in them submit.It's still your
        current password while it tricks the system into thinking that you've made a
        new password.

And for mobile numbers,just put a fake number in such as 0411 111 111
        or 0498 765 432 for example or make up fake number of your own,if don't have a mobile or wish not share your real number.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base