Tell us how we can improve your Flickr experience.

Create a Group Founder Category For All Groups

This has been brought up, discussed, and requested repeatedly over the last decade, yet Flickr has done absolutely nothing to fix the situation and address the issues with rogue administrators that at some point just take over a group and will not cooperate with any of the other admins who are trying to keep the group on track with its intended purpose!

As a group founder you may or may not have experienced this issue as of yet, but if you have granted admin privileges or intend to grant admin privileges to any member of your group, be forewarned that once you do, there currently is no turning back if something goes wrong with that choice!

The scenario is this, you start a group and are the only admin, it's small, you don't really need help administering it so you are in full control. Time goes on and the group grows so big, or gets so active, or you just don't have as much time as you need to administer it yourself efficiently, so you dig into the current member pool asking for help.

A nice member agrees to help manage the group, so you upgrade their status and make them a moderator, which for a time everything is great. The moderator has less privileges than you as an admin, so if they didn't work out, you can easily demote them back into a regular member, or boot them from the group if they had become unruly or disrespectful to you or other group members.

Over time the moderator seems to do well moderating your group, so you feel that they might even be more useful if they are given more responsibility and privileges, so you ask them to be an admin, and they agree . . . so you promote them.

That's where everything can wrong in the blink of an eye, or should I say, with just one small disagreement this new admin might have with the group (its rules/requirements, etc.), another admin or moderator, or even simple members!

They can start deleting and changing just about everything they want within the group (except for demoting or deleting other admins) whenever they want, without any recourse available for other admins or the group founder to stop them if what they are doing is not beneficial or is actually harmful for the group to keep running smoothly.

As an admin, this member now cannot be demoted by anyone, not another admin or even the group founder (assuming the founder is still in the group and remained as an admin too), with the only exception being that they would actually demote themselves . . . which of course won't usually happen if an admin is acting maliciously anyway, so the group is now stuck with this person having all this control over the group.

There has to be at least one way to stop this from happening, and Flickr (or now Yahoo), has one that can easily be initiated, just create a Founder's category within every group that contains the single person who originally created the group, which will always have privileges above and beyond those of all other group members, allowing this one person to at least be able to remove rogue admins from the group if the unfortunate situation arises!

I implore all group founders (and anyone else who agrees) to add maximum votes for this request and post their experiences or thoughts about it here and now, as group founders definitely need a way to always remain in complete control of their own group if they wish to do so, even if they need others to help administer the group!

5th ranked
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • yahoo
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    DarkonusDarkonus shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • yahoo
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AlidaAlida commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello good evening to you. for this new year grace has a
        partnership between the banks we offer loans in 48 hours
        ranging from 5,000€ to 25.000.000€ to a very reduced interest rates
        3% over the life of your choice.
        contact on his email: (bourgeoisanniemariemichelle@gmail.com).
        Whatsapp: +33756834624

• Nebraska OddfishNebraska Oddfish commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently on the receiving end of administration gone wrong in a group I founded, with no recourse to do anything about it but to implore those who have posted images and found them to be deleted to post and post again. Also a history of admin decisions (who removed what and when) would be useful when trying to sleuth who the trouble maker is.

• StephAnnaStephAnna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think not only are there groups that are abandoned but also this Feedback Portal lacks admins who take care of suggestion and moderate discussions. It seems like Yahoo doesn't care what's happening to Flickr.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is well past time for some action. I am an Administrator in 8 Groups. I founded three of them. I am stuck in all of my Groups with Admins who have quit posting or died. I get no response to repeated requests that they resign. People wonder if I'm sane when I go looking for help, when I am showing 7 Admins, but only 2 are active.
        At least give the Founder of the Group some authority to demote Admins.
        This is a stupid rule.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Loan offer of money and investment

Hello

If you need loans between individuals to cope with difficulties financial we are a group of financial experts able to make a loan to the amount you need and repay with a low interest rate of 2 % with conditions that wants to make you the life New start.
        So, if you did not have the favor of banks or better you have a project and need financing, bad credit or need money to pay bills, loans, please do not hesitate to contact us for more information on our terms and conditions. For more information, please contact us

E-mail : freezingrid@gmail.com

• StephAnnaStephAnna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully support!
        I'm admin of a major group (Flickr's 100 Best) and I live with the fear that one day one of a newly hired admin makes troubles and I can't help it.

• Tranter DewyTranter Dewy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Voted x3. Part of the wider issue of a no-longer-functioning set of Group protocols on Flickr.

• lucaslucas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i have a lovely 12weeks old puppy for adoption so i will need some one that can adopt the puppy any person interested should contact me via my email.

• DarkonusDarkonus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ernst Kers, this is a very simplistic Flickr Ideas request I'm making to add a founder role and give the individual one important extra admin privilege that only they will have, the ability to demote admins in their group.

I'm not requesting Flickr to create the perfect role hierarchy with all the right permissions and options so it will handle every known "what if" scenario which has come up or could possibly come up in the future, that is entirely out of scope for what this targeted request is all about.

I have no issue with anyone stating they don't like my idea and wouldn't support it here in the request thread, but I'm not going to continue to clutter this Flickr Idea request with discussing multiple what if scenarios and what you or anyone else think are better ideas, or should be done instead.

If anyone believes they have a better idea, then they should go start their own Flickr Ideas request and allow people to vote on it, not bring them up and continue to discuss them here in my particular request.

You've said your piece, you obviously don't like the idea, I along with Flickr staff who is monitoring requests can see that already.

• Ernst KersErnst Kers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding an extra level of power will result in a proposal that that power can be shared with others. If that's done, we are back in the same situation with an extra admin/mod level. It solves nothing. Only after sometime somebody will propose to add a fourth level to give somebody full power.

Some questions:
        How can the group creator give the full power over the group to somebody else of his own choice?
        If long time admins can go roque, group creators can go rogue too. What's the solution if the group creator goes rogue?
        What features should be available to admins, but not to mods, while at the same time those admins are not allowed to have full power?

Basically this is the choice between:
        1) The group creator has full control included the control to give this full control to others. This is the current situation.
        2) The group creator has full control excluded the control to give this full control to others. Asking for this option is asking Flickr to be a good nanny and protect people against their own mistakes.

That an admin goes rogue happens, but not very often. If it happens with a larger group, then there are multiple people posting in the Help Forum because they didn't understand what happened. But it's something that on average doesn't happen more then two or three times a year, likely less.

Actually this discussion was also in the Flickr Ideas group. When Flickr wanted to transfer the roll to UserVoice, some admins/mods of the Flickr Ideas group monitored for a number of months what was posted here and cross-linked it with similar discussions in the old Flickr Ideas group. This idea was in the old Flickr Ideas group, but until now it wasn't proposed here. That gives an indication about the real size of the problem.
        https://www.flickr.com/groups/flickrideas/discuss/72157603819343130
        https://www.flickr.com/groups/flickrideas/discuss/72157604955378226

• DarkonusDarkonus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

=============================================
        Ernst Kers commented · August 29, 2016 11:33 ·

Instead of creating a new admin/mod level, it's better to give more rights to the mods. That makes it less attractive to promote others to admin instead of mod. At the same time the founder still has the freedom to give others the same rights as he has. That latter is important too, e.g. in case the original admin wants to step down but don't want his role is automatically transferred to the next oldest member.
        ==================================================

I would disagree that only giving mods more power without adding a new founder role is better than simply giving one person, the group creator, power over everyone.

Sure, there are some other group options that might be fine for mods to control which might lessen the need to make an individual an admin of the group, but certainly not all the options. Some options definitely should only be available to admins, and sometimes a group just needs more than one admin, so again, your solution would still allow a rogue admin destroy a group because no one can stop them.

Also, by only doing what you suggest does absolutely nothing to help the thousands upon thousands of existing established groups that already have multiple admins. An admin can go rogue at any time, even admins that have been in the group for a very long time and had always acted respectfully in the past, but then a disagreement sets them off and they can terrorize the group with impunity.

• Ernst KersErnst Kers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Instead of creating a new admin/mod level, it's better to give more rights to the mods. That makes it less attractive to promote others to admin instead of mod. At the same time the founder still has the freedom to give others the same rights as he has. That latter is important too, e.g. in case the original admin wants to step down but don't want his role is automatically transferred to the next oldest member.

• conall..conall.. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Makes sense to me. I dont administer any groups but there are a couple I am very fond of & I would hate to see them descend into an unwinnable feud that destroys the group. Giving ultimate control to the person founded the group seems a sensible way to stop this happening.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base