Tell us how we can improve your Flickr experience.

Let us add text to Photo Books, including Titles and Descriptions

While I won't be ordering a photo book anytime soon (I would want to ship to Canada), when I do order one, I'll want titles and descriptions, plus to be able to put my name on the cover and title page. A bare minimum of layout options for that would be nice -- enough to make a photo album from a family event or something similar that can say who's in the different photos etc. That would make it appealing compared with, say, Blurb books, where I have to type up text myself ... but at least I *can* have text.

59th ranked
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Stephanie FyshStephanie Fysh shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sahl GoodeSahl Goode commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can see why there may be resistance to the idea of adding text. I created a book using Blurb, and unfortunately didn't do a good enough job proofreading. It came just as I had ordered it...typos and all. At first I thought it was Blurb error, but after checking my source material, it was obviously my fault.

While it would have been nice for them to edit the two small mistakes, I can see why they didn't. Where would it end? I'm Canadian, and spell colour with a u. Flickr books being an American publisher, would I be glad that they changed it?

If they were to allow text, and descriptions, they would have to have a very strong caveat that the books would be printed as is. Typos, and all.

• TDTD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's the point of even offering it to any IP addresses out of US if you can't ship outside there? Just another example of the 'push' espoused by this new flickr world imposed on everyone by yahoo. I've made a few photo books, but using sites which are much more intuitive and allow users to create the books they want, not the ones the site wardens think they should have!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I got the first book a month ago, and I was really happy with the quality. I got help from a friend in the US to order it, but hope I can do it from outside US soon. I will make many.

But I would love to be able to add text. I does not have to be much, the simplicity of the concept here is very nice. But a chance to add a short line of info, at the bottom of, or under the photo, would very much increase the value of the book.

An optional extra first page with simple text, would also be very helpful. It could be done by making a text page using Aviary. This is possible now, but a bit tricky because you have to start with a photo page, and you have to design a layout yourself. Would it be possibly to make an "App" derived from Aviary to produce a simple front page easier?

• Chris SteinChris Stein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that automatically proposing the title/description I already entered for the photo would be great. Of course with the option to change it if I want.

• MelissaMelissa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also love to automatically be able to utilize the title and description associated with my photo in the book.

• Steve LeachSteve Leach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are many photo book publishing houses that allow direct links to Flickr. Each of these have many formats for each page, including several photos per page, text, different text locations etc. They are also high quality and lower priced that what is here, I think the price needs to be inline with other options that can use Flickr as a feed for photos and the text add as well as other template adds needs to be there. Just to be current with other options outside of Flickr.

• BlueRidgeKittiesBlueRidgeKitties commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

QOOP used to let you automatically add image captions from Flickr titles and descriptions, but they went out of business in 2012. So this would be a potential niche that would make a lot of sense for Flickr to jump into.

• Brenda AndersonBrenda Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Offering a page layout that includes the title and/or description seems key here. Otherwise, I might as well use Flickr's snapfish book integration which is much lower in price.

• Paul CollinsPaul Collins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. I went ahead and added a text file as a photo to complete my first book, but the ability to add text is needed...

• Marlis1Marlis1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, we should be able to add titles and descriptions to each photo- for travel or wedding albums this would be important and a real plus.
        Also some layout options- .
        There are some really terrific photo books available in Europe, check it out before launching something that is only so-so, please.

Feedback and Knowledge Base