Tell us how we can improve your Flickr experience.

Provide a "basic" embed option

Please provide a way to simply choose if a user wants to embed her photographs with the new feature or the old version. I appreciate the ability to do interactive embedding, but that's a very different way from how I typically embed photographs. When I embed images, I am embedding specific images for specific reasons. For example, if I want to post on a blog about houses, I will embed images of houses. I don't want people clicking through my whole flickr account in that post. If I wanted that, I would have just provided a link to my account. I appreciate the new features, but I really need an easy, basic embed option.

18th ranked
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    UserHereUserHere shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Please bring back the old/basic option for embedding images.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: The old system where I inserted a photo in my blog worked fine - leave it alone  ·   · 
    ilvanailvana shared a merged idea: Embed options  ·   · 

43 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • FaithFaith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bring back the old HTML embed as it is slowing down my blog load time and shows all pictures in my photostream that I do not want viewed. Also, the Flickr watermark on the pictures is not attractive at all and should be removed altogether.

• RobertRobert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new embed feature is really frustrating when posting photos to a blog post. Now, users can browse through all the photos in my photostream from my blog. Even the photos that are supposed to be viewable only to family show up, which is a security hole.

• bram de jongbram de jong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's rather simple: embedding needs to be possible on photo, set and stream level... Sometimes it makes sense to do all 3 types.

• CathyCathy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bring back the old RSS feed for particular sets instead of the most recent uploads! This would also solve a problem for me!

• CathyCathy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the basic premise here--I only want a slideshow of a particular set. Don't want to have people looking through thousands of photos. Please get this changed!!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new method looks wrong on my website so i'm downloading my photos from Flickr (they seem to come out better than using the originals for some reason - I think Flickr sharpens them up) and then embed them into my website from my computer.
        The upshot is that if a reader clicks on them they no longer link back to Flickr, so a bit of an own goal there, Yahoo people.

• HarshaHarsha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new embed option as given under http://blog.flickr.net/en/2013/12/18/flickr-web-embeds/ is simple!

But, I find there is no way control on the set you want to embed. While I thought the embed is only for a single set, I find all my photographs are being shown. This is bad!

There should be an option to embed single sets, or based on tags etc.

When some one like www.flickrslidr.com or www.flickrslideshow.com can do, why not Flickr it self ;)

• Naaman FletcherNaaman Fletcher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new iframe slows down my blog load times exponentially. it complicates something that doesn't need to be complicated.

The old HTML embed links back to Flickr. It does the trick and doesn't need to be reinveted.

• MeganMegan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, with this feature I am unable to use Pinterest to "pin" my images/content from my blog. As an artist, it is important for me to be able to pin my content! I used to be able to, and now with the new "slideshow" feature in my embedded images I am not able to pin anything except my old stuff that came before this feature. This renders me needing to move away from Flickr so I can have my pin ability back. I am hoping this is rectified immediately as it impacts my business and livelihood.

Ive started to ebbed images using the new Flickr. Well the links were displayed fine on the Photographic forum. On returning later the images where not showing, Then they showed. Then they did not.. There is a bug somewhere.
        I needed to return to the old experience to use the BB code for the images to show up properly. It is a shame as the new experience is ok, but one of the uses of Flickr used to be, as a site to link images to other Photographic web sites for discussion . This cannot be done reliably in the new experience.

I'm a teacher and use Flickr a lot as a source of cc images. I frequently want to find an inspiring image for children to write about, but the new embed feature gives children access to the photostream of the user who's pic I've embedded (note: formerly I always provided a link and attribution as I believe it's really important to walk the walk as far as teaching children about copyright etc). This means that I have to check an entire photostream for inappropriate images before I embed. Sure, kids could click on the link in the attribution that I provided but they rarely did - now they have arrows encouraging them to click, and they do. Really unhappy with this and need an old single image html code restoring to the service.

• AnneAnne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tried to find out what Amanda was talking about with the radio buttons, but because I was in Beta mode, it wasn't available. So, I had to use the "Opt-out & Feedback" button to switch back to an older version of Flickr before the HTML option was visible again. Now I'm able to grab the HTML code again with the ALT and Title tag embedded again.

• AnneAnne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the new iframe code is also not as SEO friendly, both for embedding into websites and blogs, as well as for Flickr. When I wanted people to be able to click through images, I would embed a set or slideshow, which worked well, but the iframe doesn't show an image in people's inboxes- it just becomes a black box, where before it would actually have the image, along with ALT tags and Title, which made it much more search friendly for optimizing blog posts as well.

• amandaamanda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you to Christian Z: The basic embed code for single photo embedding is still an option by "grabbing"

"HTML" in extremely light gray lettering

I'm not super savvy so I did complain before researching but regardless. Change without warning is very frustrating. I'm thankful I found this feedback thread to help me with the embedding issue.

• amandaamanda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I strongly dislike (hate) the new "click through all my photos on flickr" feature for embedded photos. I have a personal and private blog for out of town friends and family and the ability to cycle through a view all my photos really ruins my blog post for that day (everyday actually). If the feature is valuable to other users please allow a preference to be given in each user's account settings. I would like this feature removed or disabled for the user's who dislike it. If I could use all 50 of my votes on this issue I would. - Amanda K.

I agree, I really don't like the new feature and will change to another program if this doesn't get changed back to the way it was before. Any suggestions on a similar program like flickr, simple to use but without this feature?

• peacaypeacay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Christian Ziebarth, what you say is not what I see. I open the "Grab the HTML/BBCode" drop down menu. Whether I click the 'embed' or 'HTML' choices, the iframes code is there. The BBCode choice is perhaps closest to the original coding, but, of course, it's within [...] brackets.

I think that you have to understand that this appearance has been a little erratic. As I wrote last time, it DID revert to the normal coding, but that went back to iframes a few minutes later. Obviously I can't say anything for certain; there may be geographical and timing and perhaps even operating system differences that give rise to differing code availability.

But I assure you, the original code is NOT there now for me & I've been using it for many years.

• Christian ZiebarthChristian Ziebarth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a way to individually contact every user who has posted here that they want to embed single images to let them know that capability still exists, albeit a little hard to find? I like flickr but it drives me up the wall that they pull these things with little to no warning, but perhaps the only thing worse than that is when a user says they are going to leave because they think a prior capability has been taken away when it hasn't, although I can understand their frustration.

• Christian ZiebarthChristian Ziebarth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To all the people complaining about the old method being gone... it isn't. It is still there, though annoyingly hidden. Right below where the IFRAME code shows up you can click on a radio button that changes it to the old embed code. It says "HTML" in extremely light gray lettering.

The reason I came here is because when I use the new IFRAME code to embed a picture when someone looks at the picture on my site and uses the arrows to scroll left or right it doesn't take them through the set that photo is in but through my entire photostream, which is kind of weird. A flickr Blog post seems to indicate there's a way to restrict it to the set you embedded the photo from, but I haven't found that yet.

• Elan MorganElan Morgan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I embed a photo, I want to embed only that photo, not my entire photo stream. I seems that any photos 800px and larger force an iframe photo stream code. WHY ARE YOU FORCING EMBEDDING OUR WHOLE PHOTO STREAMS?

Please allow larger sizes of photos to have non-interactive, single photo code again. Frankly, it's bizarre to strip away our ability to embed single photos, and I can't imagine this is going to help you gain or retain your customers.

It's such a poor decision that I can only assume this is a coding issue you're having, so I'm staying with the assumption that you will fix it, but if it remains this way, I will be leaving and no longer recommending your service.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base