Tell us how we can improve your Flickr experience.

Group admin

Please allow the ability to select a group administrator when the original is no longer available.

82nd ranked
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • yahoo
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Product SupportAdminProduct Support (Admin, Yahoo) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • yahoo
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • C.J.Peiffer (cj_proartz)C.J.Peiffer (cj_proartz) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see so many groups that are essentially doing the same thing ---same theme with little or no difference. It would be nice if there were a way in Flickr to merge them so two administrators and all moderators could share the work. Merging them should not delete any faves or comments or other stats.

There should be a way for an administrator to put a group on hold for a short period of time. If s/he is the only administrator or moderator and will be, for example, out of the country, on a prolonged hospital stay, etc. All that would do would be to temporarily disallow new members or new photos. All other functions should still work. (Faving, commenting, removing photos by the photographer.) There should, of course, be a limit to this. I would say perhaps 3 months.

I would suggest that if an administrator has failed to even look at the group page for 3 months, a warning should be issued. Additional warnings can be sent weekly. After one more month, the person should be removed as administrator.

If there is a moderator or several, one should be appointed or asked to volunteer.

If there are no moderators, a message should go to members asking for volunteers. If no one volunteers within a month, a second request should be made. After another month, the group should go into some kind of dormant mode where the existing photos can be seen, faved and commented on, or even removed by the photographer, but no new members can join and nothing new can be added until or unless a new administrator is found.

I hate joining a group, adding photos and then realizing that they haven't been approved after several months. I dislike groups that say photos that don't follow the group's theme or rules will be deleted, yet never are. I dislike administrators that don't reply to discussions or Flickermail when asked if the group is still active.

If the work is too much, the administrator can change the rules to allow fewer uploads a day. He/she can recruit several people to help/moderate. Otherwise, the administrator should be able to put it into a dormant mode as stated above.

• jojonasjojonas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm with Stephanie, when this is adressed then please think about this too. if admin has not logged in for over a year then an election should be held as well.

• LuLu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This doesn't address the more common problem of when a group admin has *not* deleted their account or quit a group but has stopped using the site at all.

• MinistryMinistry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ken's suggestion of promoting a moderator rather than the oldest member is a good one, but if there are no (available) moderators, I'm happy with the current situation. No voting or elections, thanks.

• ausfiausfi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Promoting the oldest member works all right, then there will always be an administrator. The problem arises when the administrator either for some reason abandons the group without leaving it or possibly dies. In those cases it is impossible to know what has happened. How long should the wait be before there could be voting?

• KenKen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not know the best way to determine the succession of a group administrator that leaves Flickr for whatever reason, but I do know that it is not to promote the oldest member. Obviously,the current way results in far too many dead groups, which only serves to make Flickr look far less professional.

Perhaps promoting from among moderators would be better. Though I do like the idea of a group vote but only if the vote is limited to volunteers for the position.

Feedback and Knowledge Base