Tell us how we can improve your Flickr experience.

why the real names in comments on the New Photo Page?

this has probably been brought up before,
why are the real names given in the comments on the New Photo Page?
So the whole world knows our names? Most of us have screen names for privacy- so why this? I don't like this at all.
Please reconsider.

6th ranked
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • yahoo
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Marlis1Marlis1 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

37 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • yahoo
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jeremy WhighamJeremy Whigham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another vote to use screen names at all times. Why else does one have a screen name? Please act on this stream and stop procrastinating.

• sps1955sps1955 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have just noticed an instance of Flickr not being consistent even on a single (and new) page - on somebody else's album page, I notice that the album header says "By: David Bank" but the photos say "by artenovaphotos". Perhaps this happens all over the place, and I have only just noticed, but what would someone unfamiliar with Flickr make of it?

• sps1955sps1955 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And meanwhile "real names" have crept on to the signed-in home page and it looks as if this will be the norm as pages are gradually re-vamped. Of course, if one wants privacy, one does not have to give a real name (I don't) and this also means that I am consistently described on all pages. I would urge others who do not like Flickr's drift to "real names" to do the same. But, as has been said, what is the point of recording a screen name if Flickr does not use it? And, on the page where I can set my screen name, it still says "Your screen name is the name that identifies you on Flickr, along with your buddy icon."

• JoshJosh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still "gathering comments" after more than a year? Really?

Is it not obvious that when you allow people to select a "screen name" that is not the same as their "real name," you should consistently use that "screen name" on-screen?

How hard can it really be to fix this?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I DON'T WANT MY REAL NAME TO BE SHOWN ON MY PHOTOS, THIS IS WHY I HAVE A

SCREEN NAME. How hard is that to understand. FIX IT!!

• KimhazKimhaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has been gathering feedback for a year and 2 days! Who's not listening and acting upon it?

• KimhazKimhaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What I find difficult is when I'm told that 'Tom' has left a comment but then I'm sent pics by 'Tom's' screen name and/or vice versa. I comment on 'Screen name's' pic and get told 'Tom' has replied to my comment. I then ask myself, "Who?". I know Flickr isn't advertised as a social media site but I've enjoyed getting to know the few followers I have made friends with. I've also had to make sure I get rid of some followers, too. This to-ing and fro-ng between real and screen names makes life harder than it needs to be. Either put both names or stick to one.

• Tim ParkinsonTim Parkinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was an ill-considered change.
        I have been forced to use the privacy setting to hide my real name from all but Friends and Family just so that my name is not splashed publicly across all my photos.
        Yes, breach of privacy.
        Yes, crass implementation and rollout worthy of Facebook.
        Please at least implement a setting to control whether real name or screen name is displayed and default to screen name like before.

• Shein DieShein Die commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this HAS been brought up before ... we have screen names for PRIVACY so why use REAL NAMES?!?!?! ... I agree with Marlis1 ~ please use SCREEN NAMES in a consistent manner, please. Shein Die~

• quicksilverquicksilver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The real problem here is that real names are not unique. When it says 'Tom faved this' I have to figure out which of the many users called Tom this is, but by showing his username I immediately know who he is. If you're going to implement this feature at least do it consistently - the photo page shows real names but recent activity identifies the same users by their usernames, which gets very confusing.

• Shein DieShein Die commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YAHOO should NEVER have been put in charge of Flickr ... Photographers should 'run the show' ~ of COURSE we should use screen names consistently!!!! for privacy ~ AND for our professional names in the entertainment industry!! ..

• Ian GourlayIan Gourlay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you're really asking "why" with this question, the answer is that Yahoo comes up with shoot from the hip ideas, gives like zero thought to the results, and implements them - depending on user feedback to tell them if it's good or bad. Only if it's bad it's usually ignored... It's as good an example as you will find of the loonies running the asylum. Put some real photographers in charge of Flickr and perhaps it will slowly get steered back to the path of sanity.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

its definitely a breach of privacy because originally we were given the option of hiding real names. I got around this by altering my real name to my flickr username...so it appears twice. But I shouldnt have had to do that.

• overthemoonoverthemoon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

what is the point of having buddy icons and screen names if they are not used any more? I am not recognizing my contacts in comments - there are so many Johns and Pauls and Martins, have no idea who is who.

• MollyMolly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please go back to screen names I am having so much difficulty working which John's etc image I am commenting on.

• ramesh ayyarramesh ayyar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i work for a university. my name is splashed in bigger bold than the institution i work for. i wish to remove my name and preserve the university's name. i am just not able to do this.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base