Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
T shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in Sign in with Yahoo
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I bookmarked a chinese spam account and 5 five of their questions.
    The account got suspended but their questions remained.Why would you do that or is the process automated.

Doesn't it make sense to delete their activity first then suspend them.

• Jim J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

He always gives one word answers. Could you not require more than one word? Or maybe better yet, require a period? This may be a good stop gap measure until you figure out how to block him. The code is simply Mssql.

/** Simple code to make sure we have at least two words, nonsense or not
    This simply looks for a space. If we have a space, we have two words.
    The same thing could be done with a period (.) A period could be required.
    **/
    declare @answer varchar(max);
    set @answer = 'ouopup';
    --set @answer = 'ouop up';
    if charindex(' ', @answer) > 0
    select 'Acceptable'
    else
    select 'Unacceptable'

• Jeremy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Then the spambots would just be updated to start posting random words from the dictionary. There are programs out there that can even construct complete sentences. They're gibberish, but they still follow subject-verb agreement. So, I think you need something a bit more sophisticated.

One option would be stronger community moderation. But, then that also becomes a venue for abuse. I highly doubt Yahoo would invest in hiring a full time staff for moderation.

I think the best options might be CAPTCHA's and other occasional human-friendly bot-unfriendly tests, like, what letter is this, accompanied by a bunch of dots forming the rough outline of a letter, similar to what you might see in a color blindness test, but minus the dots that aren't part of the actual letter.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have recently spent a lot of my time hunting down and reporting hundreds of gibberish answers. I have seen questions that contain up to 8 of such gibberish non-answers. Sometimes, new gibberish responses are added as I'm deleting others. The posts appear to come from user(s) with various names and often the names are gibberish as well.
    These posts are severely deteriorating the Q&A forum and should be addressed. A filter should be created to automatically reject such answers.

Over the years users have done this to grab enough points to ask questions.The Chinese spammers are now using the same tactic.

My suggestion is when someone types random jumbled letters and try to click submit it should say please correct your spelling.
    That way it can't be submitted until you have a proper word.

Or make the submit button greyed out on jumbled letters,it becomes available once it is corrected to a proper word.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We keep getting multiple answers that spout random letters. The more that we report, or block them the more they show up. I'm pretty sure that there's a member here who's gone rogue and is causing all of this. We think that the spam may originate from some **** source. Everyone on YA is highly irritated. Please see to your security 24/7 and prevent such infestations. We'd all appreciate that a great deal.

• Nerdy Keith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The security on Yahoo is absolutely pathetic. If you had decent spam filters you wouldn't have issues like Chinese spam accounts posting gibberish all over the site.

Fix this mess immediately. Set up a capita code system to avoid this from happening in the future. Its 2018, now get with the program.

• Banned for Life commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Account reporting would be an opportunity for abuse. I'm a bit sensitive to this having been banned for life for no apparent or identifiable reason.

There are any number of programming solutions to this problem that could prevent these spam attacks. Whatever was done in the past seems ineffective.

• LOL OLO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Chinese spam accounts are posing strings of characters such as hiciyiyc, tuxiycci, or igyigy, perhaps as a form of point gaming or linking to their Chinese spam. Here are some examples:

https://answers.yahoo.com/activity/questions?show=SD5U2UBXWW5BK5ZFDHDFHNN4KQ&t=g

https://answers.yahoo.com/activity/questions?show=H2IV4JAGALTBO3VQF4NWC4IVV2&t=g

https://answers.yahoo.com/activity/questions?show=JWUBFECTPSMTQWTBKYHCVNMJTY&t=g

• harley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

allow account reporting for spammers with dozens or hundreds of spams

Feedback and Knowledge Base