How can we improve Yahoo?

What's up with Current Location and why can't you seem to fix it?

Why are you having so much trouble getting the Current Location feature to work ALL THE TIME. You were doing well for a couple of weeks, but today (1/4/14) I'm back to living in Sunnyvale, CA, where it's a heck of a lot warmer than where I'm actually located. Obviously, the Current Location also impacts my Movie Favorites, too. Please do something to fix it PERMANENTLY, or you're going to continue to lose more and more people to Google.

17th ranked
Vote
Sign in Sign in with Yahoo
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Dan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

128 comments

Sign in Sign in with Yahoo
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please fix the weather, it won't open on my computer with any of my 5 locations!

I have the same problem, but it's not just Yahoo. I have the same problem with Google.

One insists that, I live in Altoona, PA. The other has me living in Dubois, PA.

According to my landlord, I live in New York. According to Yahoo I lived for months in Sunnyvale, California. This was fixed a while back but this week I find I am living in Chantilly Va. I fix it by typing in my actual location, but the next time I check I'm back in Chantilly and also living in New York. Why is it taking months and months to figure out why this is happening?

• jahgreen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work in Oakland, California. Yahoo insists on using Baltimore, Maryland as my location because that's where my ISP's info says it is listed.

Why not just use a frickin' cookie to set our location so that I don't see weather and movie information from all the way across the continent? This is so simple is pathetic that Yahoo can't fix it.

• Lathe Master commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How f...... long does it take to review an issue??? Maybe you need to hire more programmers or some that now what they're doing and care. Does anyone at Yahoo monitor these forum. I've started to use Chrome a lot more on my PC and Dolphin on my mobile devices.

• jahgreen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ridiculous! Yahoo insists my location is in Baltimore Maryland. I'm in Oakland, Calfiornia! Forget detecting my location and let me set it!

current location was working well for a while, but now it defaults to a state that I don't live in and never have. I have just about had it with Yahoo. If you can't fix your problems SOON I am out of here!!!

• Roy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can I stop "auto location" in My Yahoo? It consistently detects the wrong city. Also, I can't get rid of a couple of cities that I had on my weather app earlier. I click "Remove" but when I hit "Apply", the city is back and the "Remove" button reappears.

I have a older sbcglobal type of email and I access my mail from my browser. If no one else has tried this, here is a thought for anyone who cares.
    Go into your account settings in yahoo mail. do the sign in and then go to the "account settings" near the bottom. Click view/save ...locations (or something like that) See what it says there. I changed it once and it worked for a while but it changed back. I changed it again and it seems to be OK now. As far as I can tell the location is saved there. in the mail location. and the weather page gets its info from there.That is why it keeps going back to Sunnyvale CA. (Is that where YAHOO is based??)

Ditto for your location finder in the the weather app. It cannot find my location (zip 95130) but wants to put me in other parts of the state or in other areas of the bay area.

PLEASE FIX THE SOFTWARE, GPS OR WHAT EVER ELSE YOU USE TO DETERMINE LOCATION OF THE USER.

• JS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why can't I just set my location instead of yahoo insisting on detecting it incorrectly?

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is stupid already. My location is "TWO (2) HOURS" away and it changes everyday. I'm sick of this. Is Kathleen Sibelius working for you A/H's now? This is garbage!!!
    Goodbye.............

• Not Happy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree with the frustration about having to manually "Detect My Location" several times a day.

And while you are at it, please stop sending me news for Fairfield, New Jersey when my location is Fairfield, Connecticut.

I could really give a **** what the Temperature and weather is in Sunnyvale CA. I am in TENNESSEE ! ! ! !

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There appears to be no way to remove, deny, or delete the city they found for you when a person accidentally clicks on "detect my location." If you go to account settings the location they found (90 miles away for me) is hardwired and not available to delete. You can add favorite locations. Why can't we simply choose a default "home" location? Why can't we delete the home location they found for us? This is ridiculous. You can change it temporarily, but as soon as you refresh your page it goes back to the incorrect location. The programming absolutely cannot be that complicated. It is also aggravating that there appears to be no possible way to contact Yahoo. All you can do is sound off on this comment board, which is apparently supposed to make you feel better. It's not working.

Yahoo has me variously in Utah, Colorado & Sunnyvale. But the Weird thing is that I was in Santa Fe, NM this week and it promptly located me there. Now if it could just find Albuquerque.....

My work's corporate ISP is in Ohio. I am in Arizona. I can change it, but I cannot save the change. Don't use the (ephemeral and non constant) IP address of the user to determine his or her "location", use the SETTINGS -- that he or she can SET. And SAVE.

• me3124 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dan, I'm having the same problem. My location has me located across state lines!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base