How can we improve Yahoo Finance?

Conversations format promotes spam

Come on Yahoo developers, you must realize that your current message board format promotes spam. I'm seeing individuals spam new threads multiple times to dominate the Top reactions part of the conversations. This pushes out all the legit discussions and forces others to also spam new threads to get attention. In your previous message boards, discussions would stick to a single thread and that thread bumps to the top on new replies. This was perfect as it did not promote new thread spam and gave legitimate discussions visibility. Spam would also be more easily contained to individual threads and addressed.

65th ranked
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

PeterPeter shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The suggestion is right on. "Top Reactions" is a serious annoyance. I don't really care what someone else may think I should be interested in. I am interested in the latest comments by followers of a stock. And spam is very frequently the Top Reaction, so the computer selections are not very useful.

• JimJim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yahoo needs to completely revamp the stock message boards. get rid of anonymous posting. or at least make it harder to set up multi Ids.

one easy way to quickly improve things is limit the posts per day that any user name can make in a 12 or 24 hour period to 10 and no more then 2 or 3 per hour. The way they are now is a hopeless situation.

• JacobJacob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've volunteered some of my time and have gone out of my way to report spammers on these boards. I accidentally muted someone in the process and it seems like there is no way to unmute this person. This conversations format seems truly poorly designed and pales in comparison to the valuable resource that was the previous message boards.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can confirm the report abuse feature is not doing anything. This one user spams upwards of 20 new one liner nonsensical threads every day. He flushes most of the real discussions away with his spam. I reported him many months ago. He is still here spamming away..... All of this on top of the stock alert spammers along with spammers that constantly drop links. Yahoo conversations is in a very sad state. Will someone at Yahoo please do something about it? I'm starting to doubt it.

• MM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The "report abuse" function doesn't seem to do anything at all. I still see the same spammer spamming away after being reported many months ago. All my attempts at starting a thoughtful discussion have been pushed out by these spammers in a single day. Is anyone at Yahoo even listening to these issues anymore?

• RichardRichard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yahoo please at the very least address the repeat spammers if you do not plan on returning to the old reliable format.

• RiferRifer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The spam has gotten really bad. I'm seeing one guy going by the name of 'Ros' spamming 10+ new threads all in the top reactions section.

• Doc SteinerDoc Steiner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well of course banning spammers would help but it doesn't seem like Yahoo is doing that. I've been seeing the same spammers for months after being reported now.

• Doc SteinerDoc Steiner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think there needs to be a limit on who participates in a conversation. Accessibility was never an issue. The design needs to change to what the previous format offered though if Yahoo wants to promote useful discussions instead of spam. The previous format had its issues with spam but it was far far better at controlling spam than the current iteration of Yahoo message boards.

• MTMT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tell me about it. Even the regular users I recognize from the old Yahoo boards (who never spammed before) are now spamming multiple threads to get visibility in Top reactions. Thoughtful discussions die off quickly with all the freshly spammed threads every day.

It was so easy to ignore / mute / report and overall control spam in the older format of Yahoo message boards. The real discussions contained to a single topic would outright push the spam out via the "bump to top with new replies" mechanism. If someone spammed repeatedly in a single thread, all you have to do is hit the mute button on that single thread and its gone.

• BohdanBohdan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The conversations tab is completely useless. It is filled with spam. Figure out a way to control who participates in a conversation.

Feedback and Knowledge Base