Restore the old Yahoo Finance API.

1st ranked
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

JC shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Comments are closed
  • John Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Denis, EOD data is probably the cheapest, but i have seen some glaring errors in their data that makes Yahoo's data look like it never made a mistake. That is why I left EOD DATA and went to Yahoo. Good luck with it. Maybe it will change. But when they have recorded the S&P500 Losing 45 points on an up (10+ day, I didn't think it was worth paying the money for mistakes that set off a sell on my Metastock expert..

Hey, Verizon, you won't compete with Comcast for the Internet!! Even though that is where the money is. You sold your FIOS Network after all that money even though you had fiber optic network and comcast does not. Now Comcast is selling Wireless phone service after they've all but taken the internet away from you. I have a tracfone and I'm never going back to you. Now you do something stupid like this. Do you really think you're going to make Yahoo like facebook? What? Did you research this? Do you know what you're up against? Google only gave up its API because its servers were overloaded after yahoo cancelled its service.

So now I ask Google. Why don't you just change a reasonable fee for EOD data? You're letting all this money slip away from your grasp. I understand why Verizon is doing it. It's CEO is completely stupid with selling all his Boston Fiber Optic cable service, etc, when it could've buried Comcast. But Google is Smart, has more money than verizon. Google, I just don't understand you why you would throw this money away.

I, along with thousands of athers, AM WILLING TO PAY $50 A YEAR FOR JUST END OF DAY DATA. Why would you throw that away, after establishing this following for over 20 years?

I really can't afford more than that which is why i used yahoo in the first place.

• Denis Alaev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems that after several changes Yahoo Finance closed their API forever. I think, it’s a part of cost cutting strategy from Verizon.

I've tested several alternatives and found that the best one for those who used Yahoo Finance.

The service provides LIVE data, raw data, adjusted closes and splits/dividends. They also have JSON and CSV output, with very similar format for Yahoo Finance users.

+WEBSERVICE function works perfect too.

• James Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. There is no reason to deactivate this long standing service. Completely unprofessional to not warn loyal customers first or offer an alternative! Very poor from Yahoo. It was my main reason for using Yahoo. How disappointing!

• Fred Quimby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This morning the message has updated TO:

"It has come to our attention that this service is being used in violation of the Yahoo Terms of Service. As such, the service is being discontinued. For all future markets and equities data research, please refer to"

"Sorry, Unable to process request at this time -- error 999."

It's gone and they don't appear to be providing an alternative.

• Gionni Tiozzo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any public statement confirming API shutdown (better looking for alternatives now) or we got hope it'll be fixed?

• Doug commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From Yahoo:

Administratin' 'Hoo Nixon Administratin' 'Hoo
    32m ago
    Re: Is Yahoo! Finance API broken?
    Hi All - I'm blocking new replies to this thread since it refers to an older outage.

The new download issue which began 11/01/17 and returning an error 999 for most users is currently being investigated and we hope to have it resolved soon.

• Doug commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's not that I feel entitled to use a free data source, it's the method of Yahoo shutdown that really irks me. How about displaying a message on retrieval indicating that the service is shutdown, as opposed to "Sorry, Unable to process request at this time -- error 999." Come on, Yahoo!, you're a friggin' public company!

• James Parsells commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add me to the list of people who would subscribe to the API at an individual, non-commercial level. There are probably thousands like me.
    I would also like to see any prior notice that was given for this and most especially, any notice of this being made available again.

• Carlo Bernardis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can understand why Yahoo no longer supports the financial API but to be honest it was better than any low budget API that I have tried. Yahoo's data was more accurate, had a more comprehensive list of stocks for each indices and had the most attributes. Of course yahoo made no revenue from this as it was a free service and no ads program to compensate. Why can't Yahoo bring back the API but as a low budget paid service in the $20-$30/month range? Yahoo can generate revenue and us users can stay loyal to Yahoo. :)

• Gerrit Mueller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to publish a smartphone app, which uses the Yahoo! Finance api.
    In Yahoo's api's term of use you can find the sentence:
    "iv) sell, lease, share, transfer, or sublicense the Yahoo! APIs or access or access codes thereto or derive income from the use or provision of the Yahoo! APIs, whether for direct commercial or monetary gain or otherwise, without Yahoo!'s prior, express, written permission;"
    What can i do to get a written permission?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 23 24

Feedback and Knowledge Base