How can we improve Yahoo Finance?

Yahoo Stock Quote API - Please bring back

http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=AAPL&f=nd1t1l1 is not working

Is there other way to download values from finance.yahoo ?

7th ranked
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

RICHARD BARTOLO shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Responded  ·  AdminYahoo Product Support (Admin, Yahoo) responded  · 

Valued Customer,

As you are aware, on November 2 Yahoo Finance disabled the URL that allowed direct querying for quote data. The feature was originally designed for single use at a small scale, allowing users to issue quote lookup queries and receive structured data in return. However, we and our data providing partners have found that commercial entities are accessing this data at high rates and scale, often in order to resell the data or to provide revenue generating services with the data access as a core value proposition.

We have made multiple unsuccessful attempts to prevent misuse of this service in order to avoid shutting it down completely. However we were unable to stop the misuse. We have longstanding agreements and relationships with our data providers, and this commercial use of the data violated those agreements. By continuing to provide the download service we were putting our data relationships at risk and in turn threatening our ability to provide the most significant part of Yahoo Finance to our more than 75 million users each month.

We are sorry for any inconvenience the discontinuance of this service has caused. However, we continue to offer unparalleled free financial data access from both our Apps and our Sites. We provide tools to allow you to create multiple watch-lists of ticker symbols and track them in great detail. We are adding to our data offerings regularly. Within the last month we incorporated a new source of data on companies’ Environment, Social, and Governance performance and we have expanded global coverage to include the Johannesburg, Saudi Arabia and Qatar exchanges. There will be more goodness to come.

236 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Lee Perkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Alphavantage is ok however the data is very intermittent. The yahoo API was much more reliable.

• Gary Noto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

$ REVENUE OPPORTUNITY FOR YAHOO

If miss-use by commercial entities was to the degree that computer servers were overwhelmed by data requests (not likely), then there would be strong case to justify charging users for revenue to be used to maintain hardware and resources that provide the service.

If not, then why is there an issue in the first place? Many providers of IT services promote their products and services by providing free developer licenses and access to services for which if successfully implemented the service provider will benefit once deployed.

Keeping track of the number of data requests per-user could be used to determine a per-user cost charged to an entity based on their account ID.

Yahoo could easily set subscription levels to the service based simply on the number of times the service was accessed within a defined time-frame. - i.e. 0-100 requests/day: $0, 101-500 requests/day: $10/month, etc....

* Computer Servers/Infrastructure is already in place
    * Service application is already in place
    * Data is available
    * Account registration/tracking is already in place
    * Means for billing are simple

This is a no-brainer. I wonder what options/suggestions/recommendations were offered to Yahoo executive management in charge of making decisions when someone at some level in the operation recommended the service be discontinued. Clearly Yahoo Executives were not informed on how extensive the service is being accessed by common not-for-profit users in comparison to the number of abusers, because I don't think someone at execute level would have figured it would be OK (professionally & morally) to suddenly drop a service affecting thousands of its innocent users. Executives were probably not informed of the magnitude it impacts common users of the service that spent hundreds of hours writing and maintaining spreadsheets, etc. for which the service provides that key component.

ACTION STEPS FOR YAHOO

1. Mediators at this forum need to escalate this issue such that someone at the executive level will be made aware of the issue/opportunity.
    2. The sales & product department team should be then tasked with making an evaluation of the revenue earnings opportunity.
    3. IT department should be tasked with conducting an evaluation of the resource and cost requirements for maintaining service.
    4. Plan for implementation by project manager submitted to executives for approval.

• Sid Kmt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do this. If there are any violations on particular accounts, please advise them but do not disable it for everyone. Please authenticate users with api keys if required to identify them. Please provide a free and a basic tier so that private users can download this data and can afford it. Help keep the playing field level for individual investors vs the institutional ones who have plenty of resources and can afford the full data download services available elsewhere. This was the primary reason for me to use Yahoo.

Thanks.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a loyal customer of yahoo. I spent hundreds of hours setup my Excel worksheets for the API for personal use only. How can yahoo suddenly dropped this download API. It is totally irresponsible and very disappointed as a loyal user of Yahoo. It is just like if Microsoft dropped the Excel??? How can it happen to a responsible business? Please find a better way to resolve this issue, Yahoo! How can people trust your products anymore? Please, urgently put the service back up and then provide a solution for the future instead, such as a subscription-based, etc.

Yahoo, you are losing trust to your "Valued Customer". Very soon, there will be none left!

Please don't treat your "Valued Customer" like this! No company can suddenly drop a product like you did! Please bring it back up and then find a better solution such as based on usage!

Please don't treat your "Valued Customer" like this! No company can suddenly drop a product like you did! Please bring it back up and then find a better solution such as based on usage!

Like so many others I used this service for many years. Now it doesn't work. What have you achieved exactly? Was anyone harmed? Service without a fee still works.

Who cares about environmental, social, and governance issues on a FINANCIAL website? Just revert to the old website format and stop feeding your customers ****.

• Sudara Fernando commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would have been better if they at least gave us an advance warning before disrupting highly used service

• Lee Perkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gary Noto exactly, all yahoo need to implement is an API key just like alphavantage do, every user has a unique API key, if it is being abused simply block that key. "We have made multiple unsuccessful attempts to prevent misuse of this service", have you tried implementing unique API keys?

• Gary Noto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would be very sure that those that abuse the free service in order to benefit economically would be accessing the information in high frequency.

A relatively simple solution to prevent this abuse would be to add a required parameter in the command line for the yahoo user name or account ID.

The service could limit the number of data request replies based on a count that keeps track of the number of requests made within a certain time-frame. i.e. 100 request per 24 hours.

I set Yahoo Finance as homepage and bookmark it all over the three browsers I are using. This service is so useful. Please bring it back. The data is delayed and I don't think it hurts your relationship with data providers. Please reconsider your decision.

>>There will be more goodness to come.
    Sounds like a translation from the original Russian.

• Paul Cronin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yahoo's finance offering and the quality of its data has been in steady decline since the Verison acquisition. Your "Valued Customers" are deserting in droves and would have appreciated this explanation, for what it is worth, 15 days ago. To cut such a popular service as the API data without notice gives you some idea of how Yahoo really value their customers. Are you trying to tell me that Yahoo is not a commercial entity !!!.... what were you expecting. The service is now so poor that it is no longer of use to me. The last nail has gone into the coffin. ............ Bye Yahoo.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12

Feedback and Knowledge Base