How can we improve Yahoo Finance?

Yahoo Stock Quote API - Please bring back

http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=AAPL&f=nd1t1l1 is not working

Is there other way to download values from finance.yahoo ?

4th ranked
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

RICHARD BARTOLO shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Responded  ·  AdminYahoo Product Support (Admin, Yahoo) responded  · 

Valued Customer,

As you are aware, on November 2 Yahoo Finance disabled the URL that allowed direct querying for quote data. The feature was originally designed for single use at a small scale, allowing users to issue quote lookup queries and receive structured data in return. However, we and our data providing partners have found that commercial entities are accessing this data at high rates and scale, often in order to resell the data or to provide revenue generating services with the data access as a core value proposition.

We have made multiple unsuccessful attempts to prevent misuse of this service in order to avoid shutting it down completely. However we were unable to stop the misuse. We have longstanding agreements and relationships with our data providers, and this commercial use of the data violated those agreements. By continuing to provide the download service we were putting our data relationships at risk and in turn threatening our ability to provide the most significant part of Yahoo Finance to our more than 75 million users each month.

We are sorry for any inconvenience the discontinuance of this service has caused. However, we continue to offer unparalleled free financial data access from both our Apps and our Sites. We provide tools to allow you to create multiple watch-lists of ticker symbols and track them in great detail. We are adding to our data offerings regularly. Within the last month we incorporated a new source of data on companies’ Environment, Social, and Governance performance and we have expanded global coverage to include the Johannesburg, Saudi Arabia and Qatar exchanges. There will be more goodness to come.

269 comments

Comments are closed
  • Penn Rabb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

'We have made multiple unsuccessful attempts to prevent misuse of this service in order to avoid shutting it down completely.'
    Apparently those attempts didn't include trying to monetize it by adding simple features like authentication. If Yahoo knows a party is misusing the data somehow, if it was authentication-based, they could just turn off that one user.
    I myself have spent the last 10 years developing a delayed-quote intraday scanner that I cannot emulate with other APIs without spending about $200 a month. I am not a pro, I am not selling the data. I am a yahoo user for more than 10 years and this is an educational-use hobby. What about me?

• Lee Perkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a very simple way to bring back the service whilst stopping abuse, exactly what yahoo's competitors do. I created a new suggestion that got ranked to 30 something but as Erwin Mayer states below yahoo deleted it. Im officially done with yahoo! Now I simply use a php script and scrape from google finance, a little slower but just as good.

• Chris Barwise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I certainly won't be investing ANY of my time using Yahoo again if they can just trash that investment without even informing me.

• Jenny Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There has to be some way of bringing back this service while addressing Yahoo's concerns. Just do it!

• Roger Carolin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gosh, really? Can't you apply a little creativity to come up with a solution that complies with your agreements but still meets the needs of the individual investor?

• c j commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have used a program dalled MLDownloader for download historical stockquotes from Yahoo and the update my databeses in Metastock.

Now it is not possible to do that.

When do you have that back again. I think that you loose a Lot of people that are looking att your financial site no so please rethink and take back this excellent service.

• jerry finn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, PLEASE, restart the API for stock quotes!!! Many, many users have relied on YAHOO for this service, for years. To drop it without notice and without alternative is VERY POOR user support.

• Bill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is too bad Yahoo has removed the API quote service for a few bad actors. I, too, was using this to track my personal portfolio of stocks. From my perspective, this service was a differentiator for Yahoo and I now spend less time using Yahoo than I had in the past.

Without the differentiation from the service, traffic will decline and Verizon's investment will not provide the expected return. It is sad to watch the demise of Yahoo.

• Steve Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been downloading a .csv file of stock quotes once a week for years and putting it into Excel. That has been the differentiation for me from competing email and finance sites. I really like having this data downloadable and that there is a community of others who do the same thing. This will probably cause me to stop using Yahoo entirely. I am sorry to see this service discontinued.

• MikeD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a way to get the data. It isn't pretty, but it works to get your spreadsheet going again.
    Presumably, you have a page named "QUOTES" or something similar which holds the data from the Yahoo API. Create another page named "YQUOTES" or similar.
    1. Sign into finance,yahoo.com
    2, Click on "My Portfolio"
    3. Create a portfolio with the stocks you are interested in tracking.
    4. Click on "Export View"
    5. Click on "Edit View". Choose the values you are interested in and arrange them as you prefer.
    At this point, you might think that you can click "Export" and get the data. Nope. Export doesn't use the "Export View" layout. Maybe a bug?
    6. With the mouse, highlight the data table. Copy the data to your clipboard.
    7. Switch to Excel. Copy the data into the new "YQUOTES" sheet. Be sure to use destination formatting.
    You now have the data you previously got through the API, with possibly some odd holes. For instance, the view doesn't have dividend data for ARCC, which the API used to get. But, mostly, the data is there. You should be able to reference it on your other sheets.
    To update your data:
    8. Sign back into finance.yahoo.com
    9. Go to the "My Portfolio" page.
    10. Switch to the "Export View"
    11. Highlight and copy the data table.
    12. Paste it over the data in your Excel spreadsheet YQUOTES sheet.

• Mark Cockburn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yahoo please reinstate this with unique key idea - limit the number of requests to 3 request every 60 sec, limit the number of stocks per request to 50 at a time. Many many ways to prevent misuse. Please bring this back - this service is used worldwide for many exchanges (I am from Australia)

• MikeD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a way to get the data. It isn't pretty, but it works to get your spreadsheet going again.
    Presumably, you have a page named "QUOTES" or something similar which holds the data from the Yahoo API. Create another page named "YQUOTES" or similar.
    1. Sign into finance,yahoo.com
    2, Click on "My Portfolio"
    3. Create a portfolio with the stocks you are interested in tracking.
    4. Click on "Export View"
    5. Click on "Edit View". Choose the values you are interested in and arrange them as you prefer.
    At this point, you might think that you can click "Export" and get the data. Nope. Export doesn't use the "Export View" layout. Maybe a bug?
    6. With the mouse, highlight the data table. Copy the data to your clipboard.
    7. Switch to Excel. Copy the data into the new "YQUOTES" sheet. Be sure to use destination formatting.
    You now have the data you previously got through the API, with possibly some odd holes. For instance, the view doesn't have dividend data for ARCC, which the API used to get. But, mostly, the data is there. You should be able to reference it on your other sheets.
    To update your data:
    8. Sign back into finance.yahoo.com
    9. Go to the "My Portfolio" page.
    10. Switch to the "Export View"
    11. Highlight and copy the data table.
    12. Paste it over the data in your Excel spreadsheet YQUOTES sheet.

• gh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agreed! Shutting down this service without any warning or prior information is (for my opinion) a totally non-professional behavior. If they continue this way, in a few years, who is yahoo?

• Lee Perkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Alphavantage is ok however the data is very intermittent. The yahoo API was much more reliable.

• Gary Noto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

$ REVENUE OPPORTUNITY FOR YAHOO

If miss-use by commercial entities was to the degree that computer servers were overwhelmed by data requests (not likely), then there would be strong case to justify charging users for revenue to be used to maintain hardware and resources that provide the service.

If not, then why is there an issue in the first place? Many providers of IT services promote their products and services by providing free developer licenses and access to services for which if successfully implemented the service provider will benefit once deployed.

Keeping track of the number of data requests per-user could be used to determine a per-user cost charged to an entity based on their account ID.

Yahoo could easily set subscription levels to the service based simply on the number of times the service was accessed within a defined time-frame. - i.e. 0-100 requests/day: $0, 101-500 requests/day: $10/month, etc....

* Computer Servers/Infrastructure is already in place
    * Service application is already in place
    * Data is available
    * Account registration/tracking is already in place
    * Means for billing are simple

This is a no-brainer. I wonder what options/suggestions/recommendations were offered to Yahoo executive management in charge of making decisions when someone at some level in the operation recommended the service be discontinued. Clearly Yahoo Executives were not informed on how extensive the service is being accessed by common not-for-profit users in comparison to the number of abusers, because I don't think someone at execute level would have figured it would be OK (professionally & morally) to suddenly drop a service affecting thousands of its innocent users. Executives were probably not informed of the magnitude it impacts common users of the service that spent hundreds of hours writing and maintaining spreadsheets, etc. for which the service provides that key component.

ACTION STEPS FOR YAHOO

1. Mediators at this forum need to escalate this issue such that someone at the executive level will be made aware of the issue/opportunity.
    2. The sales & product department team should be then tasked with making an evaluation of the revenue earnings opportunity.
    3. IT department should be tasked with conducting an evaluation of the resource and cost requirements for maintaining service.
    4. Plan for implementation by project manager submitted to executives for approval.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

Feedback and Knowledge Base