Hi, please let us know how we can improve Groups further.

DATABASES STILL PROBLEMS after revamping

I appreciate yahoo trying to make the databases usable again

Indeed there are many good things in the improvements and I appreciate you got us the French accented characters back again.

However, the format is still difficult to read and use for following reasons:

1/ column headings do not align with the actual columns as soon as you click on one of the columns to have it ordered. After reordering one column, column headings stay the same at the top but when you scroll down, column widths vary and no longer fit the headings!

example: I try to sort out column number 3 according to zip code, all columns realign but not with the headings, one still cannot understand what each column is about

2/ I dont understand the first column: these numbers are of no use at all, I used to have the first column for the name of the group member who put in the information, this is what I wanted first but now it is no longer! It takes space for no use.

3/ I appreciate having more length for reading each column but this is far toooooo long now, you need to use the cursor to go very far to the right, while it used to be possible to read the whole table without using cursors.

4/ In particular, to move the cursor to the right, you need to go ALL THE WAY down the database, even if it was the first entry you wanted to go and read towards the right! Now if you want to go back and read the second entry (out of 400 or so entries) you need to scroll back all the way to the top, and then when you want to go to the right to see what is in the 5th or 6th column,, you need to go ALL THE WAY down to get the cursor towards the RIGHT, you must be KIDDING ME ?

Therefore, I much prefered having pages, rather than scroll down the entire list !

5/ It would be nicer to have the entire page free to read the database and thus PLEASe could you get rid of the list of all the groups I own or am a member of, on the left of the screen, this is really totally unnneeded once I am in a group and even more when we are trying to read a database.

Overall comment: you have really worked hard and I appreciate.
HOWEVER, it is really still very difficult to use and far LESS convenient than it USED TO BE

Deborah from PAris

2nd ranked
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

76 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One more moderator has problems with databases:
        https://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/209451-us-groups/suggestions/5786730-database-cannot-be-accessed-by-moderator

Database Cannot Be Accessed by Moderator

There are times when a database cannot be accessed. This happens after I edit it at which time a "loading" message appears indefinitely. Then after I attempt to access the database, the following message appears:

"You do not have permission to edit tables. Please contact the moderator of this group."

This is a bug because I am not only a moderator but owner of the group.

348th
        ranked
        Vote
        AryiannaAryianna shared this idea · Apr 16, 2014

and here is one more moderator who has lost his databases:
        https://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/209451-us-groups/suggestions/5703730-database-table-missing

database table missing!

I had 4 tables on our groups, now it's only 2. The two most often used database tables are gone ( none of the moderators deleted anything). Is there a way to retrieve them?

348th
        ranked
        Vote
        AlvinAlvin shared this idea · March 31, 2014

one more post about the same database problems:
        https://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/209451-us-groups/suggestions/5782864-still-unable-to-edit-tables-in-database
        Still Unable to Edit Tables in DataBase

The table in Database will not function and unable to update and add new members can not change formate from relax to slim can not scroll, add button will not work, edit button will not work all function have stop working for any moderator or administrator. The only person that can work or get anything to work is orriginal owner, even if he appoints additional owners they are not permited or can not edit or work on the files, please fix this problem.

128th
        ranked
        Vote
        Kang of KWD Veterans GroupKang of KWD Veterans Group shared this idea · Apr 15, 2014 ·

• CherylCheryl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still cannot edit or add to rows of Database. It does not work using Safari, Firefox, Chrome, or the Samsung tablet internet browser.

• KangKang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

STILL NEED THE DATA BASE FIXED SO ALL MODARATORS AND OWNERS CAN WORK WITH, ADD MEMBERSHIP, EDIT, AND READ FULL TABLES.

so WHEN are you going to take this suggestion into account?
        dont you have numerous proofs that the TABLES DONT WORK PROPERLY ???

• michellekahanmichellekahan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

remains completely unusable! members cannot add rows to the table. monthly i take information off a table and upload it elsewhere. when the table is empty it accepts new info, but then, after a few rows are full, when members add information to the table and hit save, it just never appears. YAHOO GROUPS IS COMPLETELY USELESS - WHY WOULD I WANT A DATABASE FEATURE THAT DOESNT WORK???

the tables are just impossible to manage !

Before NEO, it was possible to rearrange them by order clicking on ANY COLUMN HEADER.
        Say I wanted them to be rearranged by ZIP CODE, I just had to click on that column.
        Now this no longer works, all the data gets dispatched, each time you click the order gets random again.

Adding to that, I still am not able to save changes and new input, only the data in the first 2 columns show, the rest vanishes....

Deborah

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE make the first column we created (on the left) the default for sorting, not the arbitrary numbers that Yahoo assigned to them. It's annoying to have to continually click on the column head to re-sort, and then every time a line is edited, it returns to Yahoo's default rather than the one that existed before Neo changed it. It should be moderators' or owners' option to select their default. Also, why can't we have the "slim" default for viewing, as also was the original setup pre-Neo. It's unproductive to have to make all those extra clicks to recover what was a more convenient setting in the first place.

Still unable to add an entry into the databases: only the data in two columns appears, the rest of the columns appear BLANK!
        There are big big problems even after the so called "revamping" which has only brought new problems
        Instead of "patching up" a system that doesnt work and never will, WHY DONT YOU REVERT TO THE PREVIOUS VERSION THAT WORKED ????

• Prasanna KumarPrasanna Kumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

cannot update group database entries

Yahoo group database, when try to click to edit gives script error

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; GTB7.5; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; InfoPath.3)
        Timestamp: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 17:33:29 UTC

Line: 0
        Char: 0
        Code: 0
        URI: https://s.yimg.com/zz/combo?/ru/0.5.31/min/js/yg-table-edit.js

• Michael LudwigMichael Ludwig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Deborah's point # 5. Ideally, the list of the user's Top Ten Groups should NOT be on the screen when the user is inside a particular Group. Instead, for easy access to the user's Top Ten Groups, please place a link to the Yahoo Groups home page on the top of each & every page inside each & every Group.

Also, I can't edit the data in the tables in the Database of a Group where I am the Moderator (Realm of Silence). Specifically, I would like to change the data in a couple records of the Who's Playing field of the Original Sailor Senshi table. Yes, I see a pencil icon for each & every record of this table. And yes, I can click on it and get the pop-up that contains the data for that particular record. But when I change the data in the Who's Playing field then click the Save button, my change never takes! It still shows the old data in that record of that table, no matter what I do! This is a huge problem!

Finally, I am ready to leave the Yahoo Groups website for a non-Yahoo forum. The last straw is that I cannot get any help from any staff of Yahoo Groups no matter what I do! The Contact Customer Care link in the Help section is mis-leading AT BEST, because a computer geek like me cannot get any useful help from it. It is impossible to contact Yahoo Groups Customer Care from there, no matter which selections one makes! Plus, none of the selections under Contact Customer Care apply to my problem of not being able to edit the data in the above-mentioned Database! Furthermore, when I posted about this very problem on Yahoo Answers, I only got one response - that from another Groups user who had virtually the same problem I had and was getting frustrated that she couldn't get any Yahoo Groups staff to help her. None of the Yahoo Groups staff responded to my problem at all, even though I left it Open for almost four full days! All of these experiences have led me to believe that Yahoo Groups staff no longer care enough to make sure the customer is satisfied. Which is why I'm ready to move this Group to a non-Yahoo forum.

please take this post into account as well :
        https://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/209451-us-groups/suggestions/5668476-database-problems-persist

Database problems persist

I posted the following on Yahoo Answers and got a response to post it here:

I am the owner and moderator of the Mearns Bird Club Yahoo group
        https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Mear...

We have 4 tables under Database. The first 3 of them have lists of birds in a certain order which is the taxonomic order of the American Ornithological Union.

When I had created these tables, the only way I could keep them in the correct taxonomic order was to give them a Serial number. If I entered their names without the serial number the site would automatically reorder them alphabetically instead. This was before the Neo groups change.

In the Neo-groups you have added a Row number before the Serial number which is totally unnecessary and irrelevant.

Now when I tried to add a new species as I did with Snowy Owl, it automatically goes to Row 340.
        It should go right behind Great Horned Owl which has a serial number 136, so it should become 137, but instead of reordering the rest of the birds names following this row, I tried to used 136.1 instead. However there is no way to edit the row number so that Snowy Owl went to a new row, i.e. 340 at the end.

Perhaps

1. You can remove all the row numbers which do not serve any useful purpose since there is already a Serial number,

or 2. Less usefully there should be a way to edit the row number as well, if it is important for you to keep the row numbers, when I click the edit icon.

The change should involve the first 3 of the 4 tables in the Database on our site.
        Thank you Ajit I Antony M.D.
        aiantony@EarthLink.net

Update 1: 3/21/14
        As a follow-up to my earlier question of Problems with Groups Database tables, I am the owner and moderator of the Mearns Bird Club Yahoo website:
        https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Mear...

When you changed to the Neo-Groups, initially the columns of the tables in the Database were too narrow so that the words in each column leaked over to the second line with incomplete words on the first line. I made a suggestion which was acted on by you - and the columns a much wider now. However the columns are so wide that you can only see the first three columns and you have to scroll using a little arrow to go further to the right to see the remaining columns.

In doing so, the title of the row, in our case the name of a specific bird in each row cannot be seen.

You should adjust the table so that when we scroll to the right to the columns normally hidden, we can still see the name of the bird we are trying to read the information of.

Thank you.
        Ajit I Antony M.D.
        aiantony@E

another precise comment on database bugs is to be read here:

https://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/209451-us-groups/suggestions/5697361-please-fix-the-database-functionality

please fix the database functionality

Here are a number of things the database feature does not do right:

1. Importing from a CSV file *always* gives an error saying the format is incorrect, and then it doesn't import one or more columns, leaving them blank. I have double and triple checked my file to make sure the format is correct, and that it matches the format produced when exporting the database as a CSV.

2. After editing a row, the display *always* returns to show row number 1 at the top, even if you had previously sorted by row number. That makes it very difficult to edit several adjacent rows that are not on the first page.

3. The row numbers cause problems with data that is expected to be sorted in another manner. My table already has a date column that is the preferred sorting order. Please make the row numbering optional or add the ability to select which column is the primary sort key.

4. When exporting a database, the name of an exported file cannot be changed (at least using Firefox on Mac OS) and does not include the .csv or .tsv extension.

5. After changing the view from Relaxed to Slim or, the triangle that indicates the sort column and sort order is lost. Clicking on a column heading will still change the sort order, but the triangle does not reappear. Maybe it's just missing in Slim mode.

250th
        MarlinMarlin shared this idea · Mar 29, 2014

PLEASE TAKE INTO ACCOUNT !

• SebastienSebastien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, I have also the same problem. Please, try to find a good solution for us because it is not possible to continue like that.

Thank a lot

sébastien

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base