I suggest you ...

why are Trolls allowed to post anonymously?

the 'Post as Anonymous' Feature is nothing but Troll bait... it allows people to post question with no way of know who they are or how to stop them...
It's bad enough "Block" doesn't apply the 'warning label any more, but now any one can hide behind that little spy mask and ask The Dumbest, or most offensive question; and it stays up until Admin Reacts

1st ranked
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
TJ shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

464 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • David Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Amy. This will cut down on the trolling enormously; stopping Anonymous Answers.

If you continue to leave these Anonymous Askers trolling (any new sign-up) can begin, will be the first ones to be deleted for the least infraction or misunderstanding. You might warn them -- "Posting as Anonymous is MORE likely to get your question deleted". Do you really enjoy reading the offensive rubbish running rampant here? Fix it or lose it; only you have the IP of the truly offensive known repeat problems; the pattern is obvious and you know it. These serial offenders don't click on your adds, they don't have a job and are on there all day, and have run off most of the people that enjoyed your space and do click on adds.

The Blue Face is only good for trolling, especially for "repeat serial offenders" of forum rules and keep getting ejected. But they bounce right back with another Anonymous blue face troll. Only you can stop this; we cannot, getting overwhelmed with rubbish, turning the site into rubbish.

• David Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we get to know them a little bit before they acquire the new blue face of Anonymous and attack us again? You put us at a decided disadvantage against a mythical blue face.

If they are sincere, if they belong among us, we get a chance to see their style, who they are. Someone on a mission to destroy has a completely definitive style. We cannot tell the difference at first. Gimme a break, at least Level 2 or 3 to gain anonymity, before this entire forum goes berserk (translated--broke) fighting the pathological nutjobs. It would also insert a delay in the revolving door of serial offenders, and often identify them by the time delay.

• Robert Jenkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And ps. to the last comment - simply blocking anonymous users from being viewed is not an answer to anything.

The most important people are prospective new users to the site - and they will see everything, all the trolls, ranters and haters.

Those need blocking from posting, not blocking from viewing.

You (Yahoo) need more serious users that will improve the quality of the site overall, simply blocking the junk from sight of existing users does nothing to help that.

It may make things worse as once blocked from sight, the junk will not be seen so cannot be reported.

• Robert Jenkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's definitely a move in the right direction.

Again, why not give zero points for anonymous answers - anyone seriously using YA to help people does not care, but it pretty much kills off anonymous point gamers.

Also - whilst anyone may occasionally want to ask a question anonymously, why not make anonymous questions "expensive" in points, so spammers and trolls cannot spam them effectively.

And finally - Please!! implement proper account verification & banning so trolls and spammers cannot just keep making multiple accounts..

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please also block anonymous asking. It is used by people to troll, rant, and offend as much as anonymous answering. There is no purpose whatsoever to this function because our screen names are already as anonymous as we like them to be. Attaching a screen name to questions as well as answers provides some level of accountability to those who engage in this social interaction.

I also vote that the function to hide a user's question and answer history also be removed. That allows people answering questions or reviewing answers to questions they've posted to see if something a person says matches what they've said in the past, thus giving that person credibility or exposing them as liars and/or trolls and therefore contributing to individual accountability. My entire 10-year-or-so history of answers and questions is available for anyone to read through, if the have the patience for the endless clicking of "load more", to see the consistency of my answers.

[And if this thing labels me as "Anonymous" as it did the first time I tried posting, my nic is Sky on Y!A.]

• Comrade Trump commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Id rather you control the irate christers and the vitriolic gibberish they hurl at folks that are not a part of their little cult.
    FIREBALLS...Im talking about you here.

• Rover commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Blocking is an anti-stalking tool. You can't stalk anonymouses. Anonymous blockers often are trolls who pretend to seek answers while blocking those who have those answers

• T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate
  • Fireball Richardson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah it is all wrong and unfair...they can see who we are but we dont have that right?? comeon..it causes too many problems...this way they can attack users without revealing their identity...very wrong...make it stop

• Jim Roberts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The biggest problem I find is that a number of racist and religious trolls have blocked me, and ask questions anonymously. I can spend time crafting a carefully worded answer only to get the "We are experiencing difficulties" message. If someone has blocked you, you shouldn't get an answer box, even if they ask a question anonymously.

Took a look at the 'frequency electricity' post, and it reads like the disconnected manifesto of someone struggling for coherence against a mental illness . . . kind of sad, really.

If we're taking the approach it might all be from one account, then that limits us to 20 or less per week that can be reported before it hits the 'stalking' criterion. What do you think about pulling out 15 per week to post on your main spam thread for reporting? I'll start if off, then maybe others can collate some for the following week, etc.

3 upvotes here!

omg, there's so much of it to report - any idea how many it takes to shut down an account so that all account posts are removed?

• Po Boy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem with the anonymous setting is our inability to block them! I fave an anonymous stalker who likes to call me names an post unrelated insults. I have reported him and requested YA to block him for me- all to no avail. Get rid of anonymous or allow the block.

Good suggestion, I would love to disallow anonymous posts to my questions. I have an anonymous stalker, I have asked YA to block him, to no avail.

If I could filter out all anonymous answered my stalker would have to reveal himself and I could block him.

This is a great idea, please implement.

The anonymous feature is being abused. I have reported an anoystalker, and pleaded with YA admin to block him, to no avail. Why is his ability to hide and harass more important than my peaceful use of YA?

When Yahoo introduced that feature, I knew it was the beginning of the end for this website. And I was right. Levels 1 and 2 shouldn't be allowed to report questions and answers either.

• Jim J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's true it is troll bait. It's also a bad idea period to Allow anonymity except maybe for personal reasons as 'Robert Jenkins' suggests. Actually he has a good idea. Charge people 50 points for anonymous usage! I suppose nobody would want to use their name if they were asking "How do I remove all my nude pictures I posted from the internet?" (['asking for a friend] is a little too transparent)

• LEIF BECKY HIETALA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Want to get rid of trolls? Simple: make them put their name on it - ANY name. But a name they have to register under, one that goes back to their Yahoo email.

If YA has concluded that an anonymous feature is warranted at least allow offended users to block their comments.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 23 24

Feedback and Knowledge Base