I suggest you ...

How to motivate askers to give BAs? Seems like awarding BAs is at an all-time low now.

7th ranked
Vote
Sign in Sign in with Yahoo
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Leonard Haid shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

28 comments

Sign in Sign in with Yahoo
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the Asker doesn't choose a Best Answer within a reasonable time, then the community vote should be utilized.

• David Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Motivation isn't the problem. More incentive will not change the problem.

Since more than half of the questions are invalid anyway, some kind of immature pretend game of chaos and tyranny and propaganda, false or unsupported statements with a question mark, they are not expecting a legitimate answer or want one. These trolls cannot handle an intelligent response.

Trolls would look stupid to vote their idiot buddies irrelevant answer with BA, and we would crucify them with comments anyway. Their pride will not allow them to give BA to a Christian!

So the Question remains open, by the mere stupidity of the question itself, worded weird, usually illogical, irrational, unsupported OPINION, even though it abuses forum format. So YA is not enforcing the rules of a valid question.

Yes, return to community voting. At least let level 10 members vote on unresolved questions.

• Elym commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HTADD: I started deleting some 'useless' responses of mine going back from a year ago ( when community votes ceased. ) What I've found & even answered for Many posting Q's in the YA section is that of the 60 - 100 answers I'm deleting weekly, over 60 percent of those OP's have been suspended.
    I've informed My small circle of friends what I've encountered as well. So in those said cases, No one is Ever going to receive a BA. My largest amount thus far was out of 85 Q's from 10 months ago - Only 15 of them still had 'active' members.

Regards,
    - Elym

• Dreamer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that Barkley Hound posted a great idea about limiting the number of questions you can ask, until you have awarded BA in the ones that are still open.

Seeing as how there are so many thousands still just hanging there without a BA; why not organize a special award of points for a month to clear some of the backlog. You could set it up on the blog to advertise it.

• HTADD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

.... and there went another 69 answers. Say g'bye!
    No comments. No votes. No point.

I've changed my policy, now I only give them 10 days at best. I've not been on in a few days, but when I visited the site this morning I promptly deleted 57 answers that were to Q 10 or more days old. That bumped my BA% up 5 points despite your best effort to sabotage it.

I guess all the Q for which mine was the only answer will soon vanish completely, as they no longer have any A at all? Bye bye content!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Give the asker 10 points for picking a BA, and Let level 10 members vote on unresolved questions.

The Best Answer rating is the only indication of the quality of a specific user's answers. Immediately following the removal of community voting, the selection of a BA dropped to ridiculously low levels, negatively impacting that rating. The more I participate, the lower my ratings drop due solely to lack of question resolution.

I've found that the only way to protect my BA rating is to go back through my answers and delete every single one of them that's gone unacknowledged for three weeks or longer. If the time I spend researching and composing an answer is to be utterly wasted as answer after answer goes completely unacknowledged, significantly dropping my BA% along the way, than I may as well just delete the content itself.

It's a ridiculous and counter productive solution, negating the entire point of the site, but it beats having my reputation as a provider of quality answers trashed by poorly conceived changes to the site.

• Prema commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Barkley Hound on the statement "set a certain limit on open questions and once you reach it you are locked out of asking and answering." and to expand that statement use community voting. The reason for both would be some users have asked one question and that's it from a profile and they walk away with no BA.

• jraju commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a billion dollar question and yahoo team has no answers except to drag on and punish the answerers

• DT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From where I stand the problem is not one of point or lack of point. What I want is the ability to chose which questions to respond to by knowing something about the person who is asking the question. Right now, when I hover their profile I don't get any information about the posters interaction with Yahoo! as an asker, I get information about them as an answerer. That's just backwards and dumb,

• jraju commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Choosing the best answer for a question by asker or motivating him to do so is a part of the system. Choosing BA is almost nil and yahoo is doing disservice to valuable suggestions. They simply pass on words for comments.
    It is almost a year and half that this problem starts.

• Rachel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The community vote should have never been removed because of amount of users not picking BA's on their questions.

• L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow the community to vote. It's silly to expect an asker to rate the answers. After all, if they knew in the first place, they wouldn't be asking. I cringe when I see askers selecting answers that are completely incorrect.

Yahoo has screwed up this site, and, like Anonymous says below, people are leaving in droves.

• Jerry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Community voting worked far better than the current system.

It's not just BAs at an all-time low. Overall participation is dismal. Long term contributors are disappearing.

For every YA step forward, there are 10 steps backward. I'll be surprised if the product still exists in a year.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should be called Yahoo Ingrates. I'm surprised Barkley Hound was able to get 4 out of 100.

• Barkley Hound commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I sampled my own answers. I looked at questions I answered that were over a week old and only 4 out of 100 had picked a best answer. I would like to see a certain limit on open questions and once you reach it you are locked out of asking and answering. I am not sure what a reasonable number would be. You have to allow for at least a week of questions to be outstanding.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base