Let us know how we can improve.

Requiring a mobile telephone for all Yahoo users.

Yahoo! seems to have implemented their modern version of "Don't trust anyone over thirty". The over-the-hill crowd is being discriminated against with this change, as are the underprivileged who cannot afford mobile phone subscriptions. The hardware might be "free" with a multi-year, draconian, binding agreement, but said multi-year contractual service is NOT FREE.

Many people whose eyesight needs correction do not like, and do not use mobile phones for anything other than talking to people. Many people use Jitterbug or eschew cellphones entirely.

Yahoo! has decided that it wants to exclude all the aforementioned people from access to Yahoo! Groups. In a telephone call today, speaking with a Yahoo! employee, I was told that millions - please note - MILLIONS - of Yahoo! identities have been washed away and the owners of those identities must now go out and buy a mobile telephone in order to regain access to their former social life.

I doubt that I'm the only one who finds this a perplexing response from a company which poses as people-oriented.

1st ranked
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Your NameYour Name shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Recognize and accept the fact that some people do not have a cell phone!  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Cell phone  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Quit asking me for my cell phone number. That is for FAMILY ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!! And some don't have phones and need FULL ACCESS!!!!!  ·   · 
    BronzelynBronzelyn shared a merged idea: Please remove the necessity to have a mobile phone for registration.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Many of us don't have mobile phone or if we do, don't have the fancy ones and do texting. I don't text and it is blocked on our flip phone.  ·   · 
    KathyKathy shared a merged idea: NOT EVERYONE HAS A **** MOBILE NUMBER  ·   · 
    Gathering feedback  ·  Product SupportAdminProduct Support (Admin, Yahoo) responded  · 

Yahoo has been reviewing ways to improve the security of our member accounts, eliminate abuse and reduce the time needed to recover a password. Mobile is a secure way to solve all 3 of these issues.

We will never use mobile numbers for anything other than verification purposes and share this personal data with other companies.

We’re currently testing our registration page and will provide updates.

151 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yahoo combined my suggestion into this comment, though I could not find it ... go figure. When I was in the Army, I learned a wonderful word (and the meaning of the acronym): SNAFU!!!

Thank God I signed up with Yahoo before having a mobile device was a requirement. (I backed out of FB because of their requirement to provide a mobile number ... and have never regretted doing so.) I also have text messages blocked on my cell phone - it's hard enough to type on a large keyboard, am NOT going to attempt something that would take even longer to do!

Like many of you, I'm also physically challenged - mine is use of one hand plus as a 65 year old juvenile diabetic, my vision is rapidly failing; my desktop is set to 125% magnification - IF I have to do that on a large screen, there is no way I'm going to try to use a magnifying glass to read a text message that is written in a language of incorrect spelling and acronyms that I don't understand.

Yahoo will never miss me - don't use their emails because I have Outlook; I don't belong to any groups - the only thing I really do is check the news and play 3 daily games - free!

If they change their policy, I'll simply change my home page - and after the hassle I had in trying to get signed on today - even after a forced password change ... I'm a geek and know the fact I didn't provide a mobile number was the problem; the next time it occurs, I will switch!

• FCFC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OK, Yahoo, how about an update on this issue? It's been more than a month since you said that you will provide updates. We haven't forgotten about it although it appears that you might have!

• W.S.ClarkW.S.Clark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At least Gmail doesn't require this; it only recommends it. It doesn't even make me change my password every week.

• Gloria R. HamiltonGloria R. Hamilton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please don't require people to give Yahoo their mobile phone number! I have a rudimentary cellphone, but I rarely use it because I'm hard of hearing. I don't think my cellphone can do texting. I'd never use it to retrieve my Yahoo password! I'm sure I'm not the only one in this category.

• White SquirrelWhite Squirrel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

NO. I'll never give out my cell # to Yascrew.

Years ago I read about some person on facecrock who had an unusual name. Facecrock canceled her account because she wasn't using a "real name." Total B.S. as she had a over 200 business contacts. The reason given was that they wanted to be sure there was a "real" person associated with that account.

I think the neo nazis at Yascrew want to be sure they have "real people" associated with email addy's so that they can better identify the people behind each account rather than providing users with protection against hacking. If they make that requirement manadatory I'll have to abandon Yascrew or buy a throwaway phone.

• DJDJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Land lines are even more secure. But, it doesn't matter. I do not have a cell phone any longer. Where I live, cell phone service is iffy at best. The cell phone requirement should be changed to optional. That way, those who live in an area where cell phone service is reliable can choose to enter a cell phone number. For those who are not able to maintain a cell phone for financial or other reasons, then the cell phone number should be optional. A secondary email address is just as secure as a cell phone.

• Tom CurrieTom Currie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yahoo's claim that this is a security measure is just an outrageously stupid excuse for Yahoo's scheme to harvest phone numbers which will eventually be sold for advertising purposes. Regardless of what Yahoo SAYS TODAY, once those numbers are in Yahoo's hands we all know that sooner or later they will be sold for advertising purposes. Even under Yahoo's current so-called Privacy Policy, they could sell those numbers right now so long as they just sold them in big batches without any additional personal information. But the bigger payoff for Yahoo is to wait a while, continue to collect all the information that they get by tracking our web activities, emails, and group subscriptions, then sell the whole package at a much better profit. All they need to do is just change their Privacy Policy (as they HAVE DONE BEFORE) or just add an account setting that they don't bother telling anyone about (like a few years ago when they added all sorts of categories for what we supposedly WANTED to receive Yahoo spam about, and set the default to YES).

• CarolCarol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yahoo, if you think we will accept that requiring a cell phone be entered in your system to ensure our security is going to work, you've not paid any attention to even the most BASIC security rules.

It doesn't matter anymore that you 'say' you will never use it for other than verification purposes. You want it in our database and that means a hacker potentially defeat your defenses which has happened before.

Also your advertisers presumably would prefer a large base of people with disposable income to buy things. That is the older (40-60 age group) base who often do not have a cell phone and use a landline. And what about folks outside a major city where cell service is not common at all?

This change will only cost you customers.

• DianneDianne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are members in our group who cannot afford cell phone service. For them, internet *is* accessible: at libraries. Please consider the needs of people whose access to information provides them with a means of getting the support that enhances their quality of life. Yahoogroups is a product that has made a difference by creating the opportunity to draw together the isolated, and therefore more at risk. Yahoo should not discriminate against those for whom a cell phone is a luxury. You have the power to choose to make a better difference.

there are already 145 comments and this is ranking 1st of all complaints.
        How much more feedback does YAHOO need to gather to understand that users do NOT want to use a mobile phone number to identify themselves?
        There are secret questions that work perfectly for that !

• LeonidasLeonidas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't have a mobile phone. I refuse to get one, unless Yahoo pays for ALL my mobile phone expenses..

• FCownerFCowner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was also forced to give a cell phone number and am strongly against it. My cell phone is for family and close friends only. I do not give out the number to businesses. What are people without a cell phone supposed to do?

wjy dont you listen to us?
        We DONT WANT TO BE IDENTIFIED BY A CELL PHONE NUMBER !
        WE DONT WANT TO LINK A CELL PHONE NOMBER TO OUR ACCOUNT, WHATEVER YOU DO OR DONT DO WITH IT
        and we dont want to buy a cell phone.
        Are you going to listen to your users at all????

• Marti LovejoyMarti Lovejoy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How you plan to use the cell phone number is not the issue. There should be choices as to how a person wishes to recover their password, with cell phone number as ONE choice, but not the ONLY choice. Believe it or not, there are still many people in the world who do not have a cell phone. Why lock them out of Yahoo?

• CarolCarol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yahoo, you have NOT improved security by requiring additional information such as a cell phone. You have added to the danger if your list gets out due to GPS technology and potential abuse of a members actual physical location.

A second email address is all you need. You do not need to have my cell number at all. If I wish to *volunteer* it because I want that added method, it should be my choice, not an insecure requirement.

• PWBerndtPWBerndt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't text, I'm rude without adding the ability to ignore people at meals and elsewhere.

• LindaLinda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I should not be required to upgrade from my basic phone service and buy a smart phone to have a Yahoo account. Please find a workaround for people like me. Thanks.

• Dick FlanaganDick Flanagan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does Yahoo! have a death wish?! This has to be one of the stupidest ideas I have ever heard for a group of on-line communities.

There has to be a dozen different ways to verify password resets that don't require an ongoing financial commitment to a third party. What next, a minimum annual salary requirement?

Yahoo! and similar communities have thrived because they level the playing field and allow everyone to participate equally, regardless of their ability to meet specific financial requirements.

I have people in my groups who don't know how to type and now you want them to learn how to receive SMS messages on their telephones? Do you really want to spend all of your time teaching technologically-challenged users how to process text messages? No, believe me, you don't.

Please dump this dumb dumb idea.

• RonRon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Requiring a cell phone for membership is idiotic. Many do not have cell phones or live in areas where there is no cell phone service (and this includes a huge chunk of North America. Lots of us are lucky we have access to dial up. I have a cell phone that I carry for emergency use mostly and have made exactly a dozen calls since acquiring it over two years ago. In face if I go more than a few miles from home (I am in a rural area) there is no service. I think there are two many starry eyed techies in your company who have no concept of the real world out there. There has to be better alternatives than what you are trying to force people into.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base