Subject: Daily historical price data has been unreliable since late July 2026
Subject: Daily historical price data has been unreliable since late July 2026
To the Yahoo Finance data team,
I rely on Yahoo Finance daily historical prices for a portfolio of about 330 exchange-traded funds listed in the United States and Canada. For roughly ten weeks the end-of-day data has been arriving late, arriving empty, or disappearing after it was already published. I am writing to ask that you acknowledge the problem, explain its cause, and tell users when it will be fixed.
What I have observed
On the evening of October 2, 2026, at about 8:15 PM Eastern, your chart service returned a bar dated October 2 for 308 of 331 funds in which volume was populated but the open, high, low and close were all null. SPY and QQQ were among them. The 22 funds that did carry a close were nearly all listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange, which shows this was a feed problem for US listings, not a market event.
This is not an isolated night. The same pattern has recurred repeatedly:
- August 28, 2026: no bar at all for the session for many US funds. One bar that I repaired by hand from another source was later overwritten by a null bar when your feed re-served the day.
- September 2, 2026: no US bars served for the whole session.
- September 25, 2026: other users documented that SPY, VOO, BIL and VEA had a close at 5:13 PM Eastern and a null close at 8:41 PM Eastern the same evening.
- July 24, July 28 and July 31, 2026: whole sessions or the latest bar missing, as reported publicly by other users on the same dates.
In addition, the fund OILT has returned null daily bars every session since September 22, 2026, while your quote page still shows it trading. The fund RNEW returns "No data found, symbol may be delisted" although it has not been announced as delisted.
Why this matters
A null close served for a day that has already closed is worse than a late one. Systems that read your data cannot tell a null from a genuine market closure. When a close is published in the afternoon and then withdrawn in the evening, any process that refreshes after 8 PM Eastern silently loses data it already had. I have had to build guards and a second data source specifically to protect against your feed, and I am aware of several other users who have done the same.
What I am asking for
- Confirm whether your end-of-day history is rebuilt nightly, and if so, publish the time window during which the latest bar should not be relied upon.
- Stop serving a bar with volume but no prices. Either serve the complete bar or omit the day until it is complete.
- Publish a status page or notice for data incidents, so users do not have to discover missing sessions one by one.
- Repair the gaps for August 28 and September 2, 2026 wherever they still exist, and fix the OILT and RNEW records.
I would appreciate a reply that addresses these points rather than a generic acknowledgement. I am happy to supply the full list of affected symbols and timestamps.
Sincerely,