How can we improve Yahoo News?

Sponsored "articles" are ruining my Yahoo experience.

I have been a faithful Yahoo user since the 90s. One used to be able to find the account date in account information, but that seems to have moved, I know my account dates back to at least 1998 and I have been on Yahoo daily since that time.

I used to spend time browsing headlines and clicking through to read many articles from your home page. However since the inception of sponsored content, I avoid the Yahoo home page.

I understand the need to generate profit but when every other "article" listed on the home page is in fact sponsored content, I lose my interest in the page. I do not care to spend my time deciphering actual articles from sponsored content. I could understand one or two sponsored links but looking at the Yahoo's home page in another tab, I stopped counting at 7 sponsored links (there were more).

Can your site continue to generate money from sponsored links if you drive your readership away?

4th ranked
Sign in Sign in with Yahoo
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Laura shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

39 comments

Sign in Sign in with Yahoo
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Rumplestiltskin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Get rid of the embedded sponsored stories . . . this is stupid advertising! You know we all hate it, too!! Do something positive for a change!

• Bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ads ....end them .......... i have now deleted over 100 times. and .......sick of them on my page with out me authorizing of any of them end them today end them now

• Linda Stone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cut the outdated, one page per sentence with irrelevant pictures, tons of ads + spam "sponsored" articles. I never ever click on them anymore for those reasons

• Sean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yahoo! Your news reads about the same as your click-bait sponsors, ALL BS! Can you not find better "sponsors" or have you devolved to the point where only biased Liberal media and their sponsors will support you? You seem to post HuffPost pieces more than any other media sources. Did HuffPost buy you out? If you won't change the Liberal bias soon, you will lose me as I'm sure you have lost other users.

• Hamilton P B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

More REAL news and a LOT LESS gossip ****! Update more often, continually see days,sometimes week old news on website.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

get the fake "sponsored" content out of the news and stop including propaganda for the right wing liars of Faux news

• Mark Reed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please stop posting advertisements and disguising them as news. Yes, it says "sponsored" but these ads are an insult to our intelligence and they just make people mad when they realize it's not news. Show some integrity in your "news" reporting - choose quality news over money from your sponsors.

• Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stop fake news advertising on yahoo mail - it's bloody annoying

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You are selling products in those sponsored articles which are ads, most of which are BS. Figure out how to earn those millions for the CEO some other way. I simply ignore them which I suspect most people do as well.

• Jhvanriper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree sponsored articles are very spammy. Occasionally when I do click them Chrome blocks the site due to malware.

• Mila Asperin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

maybe "sponsored articles" belong on a separate section where readers may browse and select those topics of interest that may match their actual need or interest at any given time. I think this "section' of sorts will add considerable character and popularity to Yahoo as a genuine resource for its users. Nobody wants to read adds; but when this arrangement is set up, I am sure readers will find if very appropriate and useful.

Maybe someone can clarify, I don't know if iExplorer is capable of blocking ads, and likewise with Microsoft's new browser, Edge. However, I do know that Firefox has outstanding ad blockers and you can easily download it for free.

• Carlos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hate that I see "sponsored" news in my news feed. those articles suck and are clickbait more than anything. how about becoming serious about reporting news and not so much blatant advertising. I know you need money but getting capital in the form of annoying your users will make me go to bing and google instead.

For two months I have been marking ever fake ad in the headlines section as "offensive". Doesn't appear to have made any impression on Yahoo, they have now made the news headlines even more difficult to read.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base