Il+
Subject: Restore IL+ in Yahoo Fantasy Basketball
I am writing to strongly object to Yahoo’s decision to remove the IL+ designation from Fantasy Basketball.
IL+ served an important purpose in fantasy basketball: it allowed managers to manage the uncertainty surrounding NBA injuries, rest, and late game-time decisions without being forced to drop a player simply because his status had not yet officially changed to “Out.”
The problem with the current system is that NBA injury designations frequently remain GTD, Questionable, or Probable until shortly before tipoff. A player can be listed as GTD all day, ultimately be ruled out, and yet Yahoo prevents that player from being placed in an IL position beforehand.
This creates a significant roster-management problem:
A player is listed as GTD/Questionable.
I don't know whether he will play until shortly before the game.
I cannot place him in IL+ because the designation has been removed.
I therefore cannot add a replacement player without dropping another player or using a valuable bench spot.
If my player is ultimately ruled out, I have lost the opportunity to make a legitimate replacement move.
That isn't simply an inconvenience. It changes the strategy and competitive balance of fantasy basketball.
The purpose of IL+ was to recognize the reality of fantasy sports: managers often have to make roster decisions before official injury decisions are finalized. Removing IL+ effectively penalizes managers for circumstances that are completely outside their control.
I also find the change particularly frustrating because Yahoo has historically offered similar injury-management functionality in other fantasy sports. If Yahoo recognizes that managers need flexibility when dealing with uncertain player availability in other fantasy formats, it is difficult to understand why Fantasy Basketball managers should lose that functionality when the NBA has some of the most frequent late injury, rest, and availability decisions of any major sport.
I am not asking Yahoo to give managers an unfair advantage. IL+ actually creates a more reasonable and realistic way to manage uncertain player availability. Managers still have to decide whether to use the roster spot, and there is always a risk that the player ultimately plays. That is part of fantasy sports strategy.
I strongly encourage Yahoo to restore IL+ in Fantasy Basketball, or introduce an equivalent roster designation that allows managers to temporarily move players with GTD/Questionable/Probable designations into an injury slot.
At minimum, Yahoo should explain why this functionality was removed from Fantasy Basketball and why the platform believes the current system provides a better fantasy experience.
Fantasy basketball is supposed to reward managers for making good decisions and managing uncertainty. The removal of IL+ makes that significantly more difficult and, in my view, unnecessarily disadvantages managers dealing with legitimate NBA injury uncertainty.
Please reconsider this change and restore IL+ for Fantasy Basketball.
Thank you.